25-06 load data using 115 gr CTBT

M&P_Leo

Beginner
Sep 27, 2009
Hello guys, new to reloading and I have searched pretty far for some needed data.

The gun that I am really focused on reloading is T/C Encore 25/06 with 26" barrel.

2). The ammo and powder choice--- Nosler CT Ballistic Tip 115gr. and Using Reloader 22 (unless 19 would be better).

3) Primers on hand --- CCI 200.

Question(s) is/are: I cannot seem to find a maximum/minimum powder load using R-22/
2). COAL---what should I be shooting for for the case length? (and does this include the bullet in the round or not ---I know, i know.)

we've been reloading handgun bullets like crazy....but I would love to shoot the 25/06 more and at roughly$2.75 a round for Winchester Supremes it's impossible.

Thanks guys.

Any other load recommendations are welcomed, too.... i would like COAL, bullet weight, powder, powder amount, and primer used.

Also since nosler suggests rl-19...is it the best choice?

Hodgdon #6 list a starting load of 49gr RL22, and a max charge of 53gr with a 117-120 gr bullet.
This should get you in the ball park.

Nosler 6th Edition Reloading Guide recommends IMR 4350 as the most accurate powder (lowest standard deviation). It would be a good powder to explore in your 25-06. As to OAL, you will likely find your best accuracy loading near the lands. Twenty thousandths off the lands would likely be a good starting place. According to QL 3.4, in a 26 inch barrel, 57.5 grains of RL22 will yield almost 3300 fps velocity. Whether this is the most accurate powder or not would need to be tested. For comparison, 55 grains of RL19 yields 3239 fps. TAKE NOTE THAT THE NOSLER MANUAL LISTS 50 GRAINS OF RL19 AS A MAXIMUM CHARGE! While QuickLOAD is a good predictor of loads to explore, it does not provide data that is pressure tested.

Thanks guys, I believe I will start by measuring the OAL of a factory loaded Winchester supreme. As to the powder I know I will be buying some other powders to try, 4350 sounds like a good option. I have, however, been extremely impressed with all the Alliant powders.

The Alliant powders are quite good, but there is nothing wrong with IMR powders. Others listed in the Nosler Guide that may be worth exploring are IMR 4831, VN560, VN165, Magnum and Retumbo. Each should get the job done.

Your choice of components is a very good one!!

I used that combo for awhile in my first 25-06.

You "should" be able to seat them out to 3.250" This should get you close to the lands, around .010"-.015" This is where I find my best accuracy with 90% of the loads for my 25-06's.

RL-22 IMO, is better then RL-19 for 115g bullets. I never did shoot Rl-19 with anything heavier then 85's, and for those it works awesome.

However, I"ve burned far more RL-22 in my 4 25-06's over the years.

I would start at 51.5g and work up to around 54g. Velocity should be 3100-3200fps, and you should see 1/2"-3/4" groups if you work up in .5g increments.

The coating on the CT's allow you to use about 1g-1.5g more powder then naked bullets to achieve the same velocity.

I dont want to give out my exact load for this recipe as it was a very warm load in my rifle, but I can tell you that if you try 51.5g-54g in .5g increments, you should definately see where it starts to group.

If for some reason your rifle doesn't like RL-22, I would next consider Retumbo.

Keep us posted on your results.

If you have IMR 4350 try 49 grs with a CCI 250 primer in a Rem. case with your 115 gr bullet. This is a tack driver in my rifle and I average 3100 fps from my 26" barrel. I can keep 5 shots under 1.5" at 300 yards on a calm wind day with this load and a 117 Sierra Pro Hunter. but the 115's BT and CT shoot about the same. You have gotten yourself a real deer thumper of a rifle.

thanks guys, It'll be at least Saturday till I can try the loads out...(I work the next 4 and 12 hour days give little more than eat and sleep time before heading back).

I use 120 gr. Nosler Partions in my wifes 25-06 Remington MTN rifle. My load is 49.0 grs of IMR4350. It shoots really great and has taken everything from coyotes to one spike bull elk. I shot him at just a little over 300 yards.

I"ve had great luck with this bullet, but have started playing with the 110 gr. Accubonds. They are a fantastic bullet too. H4831SC also looks to be a good powder in this cartridge.

remingtonman_25_06":1x8y8dy0 said:
Your choice of components is a very good one!!

I used that combo for awhile in my first 25-06.

You "should" be able to seat them out to 3.250" This should get you close to the lands, around .010"-.015" This is where I find my best accuracy with 90% of the loads for my 25-06's.

RL-22 IMO, is better then RL-19 for 115g bullets. I never did shoot Rl-19 with anything heavier then 85's, and for those it works awesome.

However, I"ve burned far more RL-22 in my 4 25-06's over the years.

I would start at 51.5g and work up to around 54g. Velocity should be 3100-3200fps, and you should see 1/2"-3/4" groups if you work up in .5g increments.

The coating on the CT's allow you to use about 1g-1.5g more powder then naked bullets to achieve the same velocity.

I dont want to give out my exact load for this recipe as it was a very warm load in my rifle, but I can tell you that if you try 51.5g-54g in .5g increments, you should definately see where it starts to group.

If for some reason your rifle doesn't like RL-22, I would next consider Retumbo.

Keep us posted on your results.

I aggree with one addition. You might try RL25 with 115 gr. bullets. I just tried Ret, IMR7828 & RL25 in my brother's 25-06 & RL25 gave the best vel
of the 3 in that gun & RL25 has done the best with 2 other 25-06's I have
tried as well, in that case against RL22.

Is RL-25 still giving the best accuracy as the other powders?? I've never tried RL-25. I've tried h4831, rl22, 7828, h1000, and retumbo. There all 3 kinda spreat out in 4 different rifles though. However, the latest is showing a definate preference for Retumbo for speed and accuracy. Thats why I recomended it after RL-22 which also gives very good velocity and accuracy from most 25's.

I try to strive to get the most velocity I can, w/out sacrificing accuracy. Sometimes its hard to find both, but when you do, its very rewarding.

remingtonman_25_06":2k8h74r0 said:
Is RL-25 still giving the best accuracy as the other powders?? I've never tried RL-25. I've tried h4831, rl22, 7828, h1000, and retumbo. There all 3 kinda spreat out in 4 different rifles though. However, the latest is showing a definate preference for Retumbo for speed and accuracy. Thats why I recomended it after RL-22 which also gives very good velocity and accuracy from most 25's.

I try to strive to get the most velocity I can, w/out sacrificing accuracy. Sometimes its hard to find both, but when you do, its very rewarding.

Yes, accurate loads. I think I bought an extra slow lot of retumbo, I went over max, over 60 gr. (I don't advise this) with no pressure signs &
3,120 or so vel. with 115 gr, quite different than your results. The only thing I could come up with is it appears slower than it should be. I m getting 3,200+ with RL25, about 80fps more. My lot of Retumbo would likely be good in a 257Wea.

coyotetrapper":1eig5pnq said:
Ever think of the 110 AccuBond? A slight increase in FPS and just a great bullet all around.

I have, but it is hard so swap from the BT, it has just been an old (relative to age-26) favorite. I pretty much always get instant kills and no run off over apprx 35 yards. I also like that the bullet is slightly weaker in composition...because in the case of a miss...if a BT hits a small limb it will usually break apart and cease to keep going.

Besides I like the devastating results, lol.

Back