25/06 standard or Ackly?

HodgemanAK":nf5o9qh8 said:
I came very close to picking up the Barrett version in 25-06 a couple of years ago...I passed and I'm still kicking myself!
Same here they had them at Sportsman's, also waited too long on a kimber classic select grade. I have a 695 Tikka continental hunter 26" heavy barrel 25-06 and really want a 24" light weight to pair with it.

I just made a trade on a NULA 24b in 6.5 Swede. My plan is to turn it into a 25/06 or 25/06 AI. Currently leaning toward standard 25/06.

My current plan is to send it out to long rifles inc. and have them rebarrel it with a 1-8 24” barrel.

The only real question is to fog standard or ackly. I know those big squared shoulders certainly look good but not sure if the slight increase in capacity is worth the price of custom dies.

I know a few of you are using the 25 ackly, Worth the expense and added work of fireforming?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know this thread is kinda played out, but.... 25-280AI-270 might not require trimming. That's a Dandy Magnum, probably Chuck Wilcox.

Plain old 25-06 would be my choice. Lot of time and expense fire-forming cases for the Ackley version. Ackley advantage. Might not be the same as what the difference in between the 25-06 and the 25-06 AI, but I had a 280 Remington for years with a 22" barrel. I load it with 140 gr. Nosler Partitions and it chronographed at 2940 fps using IMR4350. I sold it knowing that I wanted to find a 280 Remington with a 24" barrel and I was leaning towards customizing a Ruger M77/Hawkeye or a Winchester Model 70. I found a used (great condition) Winchester Model 70 in 270 Winchester for a good price. I bought it and took it to my gunsmith to have a custom barrel put on it and for him to work his magic on the trigger, action, metal coating, and pillar and glass bedding. Now do I just stay with the 280 or go 280AI. Neat cartridge that AI and I thought it might be fun. Glad I did it although pretty sure if I had just went with the 280 Remington I would be just tickled to death. Here's how it shook out for me.

Remington Model 700 Mountain rifle 22" barrel - 280 Remington
140 gr. Nosler Partition using IMR4350 - 2940 fps

Winchester Model 70 classic sporter 24" barrel - 280 AI
140 gr. Nosler Partition using IMR7828SSC - 3230 fps
140 gr. AccuBond using IMR7828SSC - 3186 fps (Same powder charge the Partition bullet. Shoots equally as well and impacts so close to the other bullet that it's possible to switch between them with complete confidence.

I'd go 25-06 and shoot 120 gr. Partitions or 110 gr. Accubonds or 100 gr. E-tips. Good luck! 25-06 is a GREAT cartridge.

1642634883635.png
Alaska grizzly bear 2019 at 158 yards. One shot using 140 gr. Accubonds in my 280 AI. Bear was hit broadside in the lungs. Spun 180 degrees Into the shot and did two somersaults and was dead. That was it.

Last edited:
A 25-06 pushing a 110 gr. NAB with RL26 is less than a full case by the time you reach max pressure.

I rebarreled a Tikka with a 1:7.5 twist standard 25-06. It is a laser beam. I'm sure you're already done with your project, but I'd have gone with a 1:7 twist for monos.

Ruger #1 B. Benchrest 1:7" RPM 25-06 AI. Still have not put it to its paces but will shoot 135 bergers at 3100 fps

KnQXVBr.jpg

0JNZh9g.jpg

That rifle cries out for a 24" tube with the 25-06! I wonder what they were thinking with a 20" 6.5x55?

I came very close to picking up the Barrett version in 25-06 a couple of years ago...I passed and I'm still kicking myself!
I like shorter barrels, a lot more handy for me. I've never missed a shot and thought "Gee, I would have made that shot if my barrel was 3 inches longer"

I like shorter barrels, a lot more handy for me. I've never missed a shot and thought "Gee, I would have made that shot if my barrel was 3 inches longer"
I’m going to be burning a fair bit of slow burning powder in that small diameter, That few extra inches will help burn it all. A cartridge with a better bore/volume ratio would be a better short barrel candidate.

I’m going to be burning a fair bit of slow burning powder in that small diameter, That few extra inches will help burn it all. A cartridge with a better bore/volume ratio would be a better short barrel candidate.
If you say so. I see no problem with a 20" 6.5x55, but you only have to make yourself happy. I bet 3 inches isn't the make or break on making a shot.

If you say so. I see no problem with a 20" 6.5x55, but you only have to make yourself happy. I bet 3 inches isn't the make or break on making a shot.
I wasn’t keeping it 6.5 in any event. I have a pair of 6.5 PRC , but in the 25/06 there is enough capacity to use the extra length. Compared to my suppressed rifles it will still be “short”

Got a couple boxes of the 125gr hammer hunters today. Sleek looking little pill. Here it is compared to a 115gr nosler ballistic tip.
Let us know how those Hammers work for you and your load info. I'm shooting Hammers in 3 rifles and love them.

I wasn’t keeping it 6.5 in any event. I have a pair of 6.5 PRC , but in the 25/06 there is enough capacity to use the extra length. Compared to my suppressed rifles it will still be “short”
I comment on another person's post where he made the comment about the 20" tube on the 6.5x55, which you felt compelled to jump in. I don't give a flying hoot what you want to do, I was only commenting on this thread about the 20" 6.5x55 comment, which was NOT made by you. Savvy?

This whole thread was about my rifle rebarrel to 25/06. The first line in your quote was that rifle cries for a 24” tube in 25/06. It wasn’t until after my reply that you specified you were referring to the 6.5.

For not giving a hoot you seem to have cared enough to make multiple posts about it. Also seeming to get your panties in a bunch to my answers.

Bear that’ll be a ripper of a set up I think. Those long Hammers should help bring the 25-06 into the 21st Century.

The NULA have a good sized magazine box on it?

I haven't tested the 125 hh but the 121s are absolutely hammers (pun intended) on game out of my standard 25-06.
I figured they would be considering the stellar performance I have gotten from the 124 6.5 hammer hunters, I might have to pick your brain on load data

Back