25 cal Ballistic Tip 100 grain bullet: hunting or varmints

the 100 Btips is all I have ever used for deer in my 264 mag at 3680 fps
for about 8 years now.
always a DRT for me but the only place I shoot them is between the shoulder and spine no meat loss that way.

I think that when the impact speeds of the hundred grain ballistic tip start to get over 3300 fps you are starting to risk the bullet going to pieces on impact. I think that there are better bullet choices for close range shots with a really fast gun such as a hot loaded 25-06 or a weatherby. That said these bullets are very accurate and when the impact speeds are kept to within reasonable limits these bullets do very well.

okie2":3cfnvbb5 said:
the 100 Btips is all I have ever used for deer in my 264 mag at 3680 fps
for about 8 years now.
always a DRT for me but the only place I shoot them is between the shoulder and spine no meat loss that way.

Okie, I cannot imagine the frag grenade kinda destruction with that bullet in the 264! I run the 130's about 3350 and man oh man, they open fast in the tests, but still penetrate pretty well. Looking forward to giving them a whirl this Fall. Scotty

If I took a heart, lung shot yes it would be very bad but like I said that is not where I hit them
between shoulder & spine it only takes out a big chunk of back bone.
I have never had other than DRT.

Do you ever wish we had enough hunting opportunities to try every bullet, cartridge & rifle combination we're curious about?

I'd give these things a try on mule deer in a heartbeat if I wasn't sitting on what may be a lifetime supply of .257 cal, 115 gr Nosler Partitions!

Guy

Guy Miner":az0j0oag said:
Do you ever wish we had enough hunting opportunities to try every bullet, cartridge & rifle combination we're curious about? Guy

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks like this! Scotty

I know one box of core-lokts are not going on my guns any more
I will stick to Nosler & Hornady's

okie2":2a7gyzxz said:
I know one box of core-lokts are not going on my guns any more
I will stick to Nosler & Hornady's

Same here, the only Remington bullets I use are the 200gr CLRN in my 35 Remington. That is the limit of my tolerance for Remington stuff... Just biased a little more towards them nowadays. Scotty

I don't know how a big company like Remington can put out so much junk and never try to fix it
they screwed up on the 244 remington
6.5 rem mag
350 rem mag
and their guns are going to hell more every day
and I bet they screw up the marlins now that they own them too
I have 3 reminhgton's that are a peice of crap I will not sale them to any one
because I don't treat people like that. All they are good for is maybe sale them for the actions.

Back