.25 cal solid base spitzer

chuckslayer

Beginner
Nov 8, 2005
Are these hunting bullets that where before b-tips?
I just bought and old box of these on Sunday,
they are .25 cal. 100 gr. solid base spitzers.
I am going to use them in a 25-06 after I convert my 30-06 to 25-06.
I already have the barrel and dies and lots of 06 brass.
After deer season it will go to the smith to get screwed on.
Has anyone used these on whitetails years ago?

Those were noslers cup and core bullet before the btip. My grandpa has loaded them in his 30-06 and 243 for God knows how long. He has taken several elk with the 165s out of the 06 and plenty of whitetails with the 85 .243 bullet. He swears by them. They should suit you extremely well as a deer bullet in the .25!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes!

Which museum did you get those from? :grin:

I happily used the Nosler "Solid Base" soft point bullets back in the 1980's, and was very upset when they were abruptly replaced with that new-fangled, plastic tipped, "Ballistic Tip" bullet.

I have since become a convert and seldom use anything but the Ballistic Tip for hunting.

Yes, the old Solid Base was a good bullet. Accurate and lethal. Nosler made some of them as recently as within the past 10 years, and I bought a mess of them in 6mm & .30 cal. They still work just fine I'm happy to report.

Regards, Guy

Yep those are the game bullets before the BT. Work up to it but 52 grs IMR 4350 usually shoots really well with the 100s out of a 25-06. I really liked the old solid base 150 gr for my 30-06 but when the BTs replaced them at first I was very disappointed. The first BTs were really too explosive. Inside 150 yards or so they would go in a deer about 1 inch and blow up with no exit. The deer ran off bad on them and did not leave much if any blood trail. I went to 150 Sierra Game Kings and IF a deer ran off it did not go far and Ray Charles could have followed the blood trail. A few years later I was told that Nosler toughened up the BT and I tried them again. They got it right. The 115 gr BT is a really good deer bullet for the 25-06 and if you can get the accuracy you want out of them the 115 Partitions are real hammers on deer. One thing you will find with the 25-06 is that with most any bullet 100 gr and heaver it is a drop a deer in it's tracks killer. I have shot the 25-06 for 23 years and although I use many different calibers just for the heck of it if I had to make a one shot kill on the deer hunt of my lifetime it would be with my 25-06.The rifle I have now I use the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter because it shoots it like a bench rest rifle and this bullet is a real killer. Good luck and good shooting.

The solid base boattails were the only bullet I used to load before they made the BT's and I had bad luck with them at first. I love the AccuBond and the Partition's but the solid base bullets boattails are great too. I would happily use those again. I shot them in a 6mm, 280 Remington, and a 30-06 with great success.

The 25-06 is a fantastic cartridge and you will be very pleased with it's performance!

I used the 100 and 120 gr in my .257 Roberts and the 162 gr in my 7mm rem mag. The 162 was a crazy good bullet. Wish they would bring them back.

Oh man I got all butterfly stomached, just reading the title. I just posted a note in the Classifieds about some .25 cal 120gr SB's. I just loaded up all but the last 5 of what I have and sure was sick when I went back to the closet and found only an empty box of what I thought was full.

Those SB's are an awesome bullet. Like most who have already posted, I used them and well still do almost exclusively in my .243, 25-06 AI, .270 Win, and 30-06. I have enough to possibly get my grandkids all a few deer with them before they dry up.

Those 120gr SB's though in my 25-06 AI are smoking lasers of death on critters. The load runs on average at 3350fps out of a 28" Broughton 1-9 5C barrel over a nice dose of Ramshot Magnum. My oldest grandson turned 13 this past Thursday and after we had dinner we headed over to a friends to see what we could see. He made a wonderful 300+ yard shot on a nice 10pt and it simply dropped where it stood. Hard to miss though, the rifle is zeroed at 300 and groups around an inch there with the 120's. Any wonder why I want some more???10pt Buck1.jpg

Great buck!

I feel bad now, never loaded or shot a danged Solid Base bullet... :x

Thanks for all the positive replies.
There is still one more box of these bullets at the gun shop.
I know I paid too much for them but when there are no bullets to be found I guess sometimes we have to give in. Was trying to find 115gr b-tips, good luck on that!
I don't think they will sell anytime soon, unless I go back and buy the 2nd box!, at $ 23.95.
Thanks again!

41mag":2cv2l67f said:
Oh man I got all butterfly stomached, just reading the title. I just posted a note in the Classifieds about some .25 cal 120gr SB's. I just loaded up all but the last 5 of what I have and sure was sick when I went back to the closet and found only an empty box of what I thought was full.

Those SB's are an awesome bullet. Like most who have already posted, I used them and well still do almost exclusively in my .243, 25-06 AI, .270 Win, and 30-06. I have enough to possibly get my grandkids all a few deer with them before they dry up.

Those 120gr SB's though in my 25-06 AI are smoking lasers of death on critters. The load runs on average at 3350fps out of a 28" Broughton 1-9 5C barrel over a nice dose of Ramshot Magnum. My oldest grandson turned 13 this past Thursday and after we had dinner we headed over to a friends to see what we could see. He made a wonderful 300+ yard shot on a nice 10pt and it simply dropped where it stood. Hard to miss though, the rifle is zeroed at 300 and groups around an inch there with the 120's. Any wonder why I want some more???

Superb buck. Your grandson did very well, indeed. Congratulations to the lad.

If a grandpa doesn't brag on his grandchild, he needs to turn in his grandpa card! :grin:

That's a priceless picture, the smile says it all. Congrats to you both and thanks for sharing.

Back