.257 85 grain Ballistic Tips

daboyce67

Beginner
Aug 4, 2009
What is the difference between the black tip and green tip in these bullets? I just noticed that I have a box of each of these and not exactly sure what the difference is. I haven't used either yet. Was thinking of them as a varmint bullet, but is one more appropriate for that or are they the same, but for the color of the tip?

The only 257 ballistic tip bullets that I have seen have light blue tips. Green is what is on .308 bullets.

daboyce67

Welcome to the forum.

The 257 cal BT is blue, could be a different color such as silver if they were made for Winchester, etc.
Didi they come in a Nosler Box? Factory loaded ammo?

JD338

You gentlemen are correct. You see, I had never opened the boxes. On one box is the picture of the bullet with a green tip and on the other is a picture with a black tip, but they have identical part numbers (43004). Yet, as you've stated, the actual bullets in both boxes is blue.

Go figure. Pretty stupid to assume that the bullet tips inside the box would match those on the cover.

Okay, with all that said, and since these are the 85 grain variety, than they would actually be Ballistic Tip Varmint bullets and that answers my other question.

Thanks all for prodding me along to open the freakin boxes. :wink:

daboyce67

Glad to help..... :grin:

The 85 gr BT is a varmint bullet. The game bullets are 100 gr 115 gr BT, also have 110 gr AB and 100gr, 115 gr and 120 gr PT's Next year will bring a 100 gr E-Tip.

There is a nice selection of bullets from Nosler.

JD338

hey daboyce67 we all start somewhere and sometime. its all good in here these are good old boys and they will help you out with whatever they can whenever they can. load data bullet choice you name it. ask pop to run the numbers for you and he will tell you pressures whatever you need you have it its here. now tell us what caliber of gun you will be putting these 85gr bts in and we like to know what king of gun it is. and i like to brag about my savage tactical 25-06 that some snob once told me looked like it would make a good club. hows that for a welcome

Back