.257 Roberts again...maybe.

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
Been thinking about getting another Mod 700 Classic in .257 Roberts. I am getting pretty nostalgic for one like my first one, an original 1982 classic. I had that one reamed out tot he Improved, but I don't think I'll do that again, not with all these newer powders ( or at least "powders" I didn't have back then, ha) I can seat the bullets way out in the Remington anyhow, so I can already get more powder space. I've had and used several 25-06s and 257 BEES, but never really wrung out the standard Bob. Besides, my 280 can do what they did with 120 Premiums. While I won't try to make it a 25-06 I will run it to its fullest potential. I figure a 87gr for coyotes and still not sure what on the heavy end.
I used the 120 Hornady HP in the first 257 AI, the Sierra 117 SBT in both 25-06s, the Nosler 115PT and 100gr TSX in two 257 BEES. What do you 257 Roberts guys like for deer/antelope out where its windy? What do you guys use in more wooded areas? For you guys who use your Bob on hogs and even elk...what bullet has worked best for you? Just brainstorming right now... :)

I am working on finding a load for my 250 AI with the 110 gr AccuBond.

Sounds like a bullet you haven't played with yet???

Not yet...I like the idea of a good 110gr though. I certainly don't plan on using the Bob for elk, but I would if I had too. I know I will be shooting some big hogs with it along with deer/antelope. I wish Hornady still made that old 120HP, it was a good one.

I built mine with a 26" Douglas premium air gauge barrel on a Rem M725 action that was originally a 30-06 that I wore the barrel out. the Douglas barrel was twisted 1-12" for light bullets and won't stabilize a 120 so for deer I would use the Hornaday 117gr round nose and for ground hogs the 75gr Hornady hollow point. The 100gr Hornady Spire point was sub 1/2" MOA and drilled a white tail buck dead center of it's nose and cleaned it's sinuses for it, he was standing behind a very large poplar tree looking at me and was the only shot I had. It is my favorite brush gun since I know it will put a bullet threw a tiny space if I hold tight. :roll: :grin:

I have a 700 Classic in 257 Roberts. She shoots lights out with the 85, 100 and 115 gr bullet weights. I worked up a load using QL for the 115 gr BT that shoots .5 MOA at 3100 fps.
Used the same load this year using the vintage 117 gr PT to take a big MI swamp buck at 40 yards.

JD338

I gotta work with my M70 Bob. It needs to be reworked, as I loaded it way down for my daughter, who now has her own rifle.

I also want to eventually get back the M700 Classic I shot my first deer with. My dad sold it quite a while ago, but a hunting buddy knows the guy who owns it and I want to try to get it back at some point.

My 257 Roberts Classic has been a fun one for me. I've taken an antelope with 100 grain BT, and one deer with 120 grain Grand Slam.
This gun doesn't seem to be picky about what bullet it receives with the only exception being the old Barnes X bullets that I couldn't get to group with limited effort.
58dc1ecfb14154dbc25dcb999f231a8e.jpg

df5a91fa9eee5e0780a35ed1d549c404.png

8556189908e65bbf487972a7a280f64e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
4f02e5879095d7c20dfef6a745ccb588.jpg

My 700 classic has never been very picky about bullets. It'll shoot just about anything sub moa, except solid copper bullets of any brand, but it really sings with the 117 sierra sbt with H4831 and the 110 AccuBond with reloder 22. Both loads chrono well over 3000 fps and the 110 tops 3100. I'm planning on giving IMR-4451 a try with a 110 ab.

Doesn't seem to be a bad pick in the bunch. I'd likely load a 115 PT, 110 AccuBond, or 100 Scirocco and call it a day. I'd bet with any of those you'll get some good speed with the newer powders and it should swat whatever you aim at.

I never clocked the 120HP load in that 257AI, but I could seat the bullet way out, over 3" COL. I do remember I used Rem 9 1/2 primers, fireformed Remington brass and 49gr IMR 4350! I got many loads too per case so having it seated out helped balance that PO Ackley load out! Yep, I got it from his manual which is "rare", ha. His loads were way hot. As I said, I have used the great 25-06, I just want a 257 Roberts working at full potential. I think it would work just as well for coyotes as a 6mm Remington, yet can use heavier bullets for solidly built hogs, and mule deer, etc. I knew several guys down in Texas who used the 87gr Hornady in their 25-06s for everything, from varmints to big hogs and deer. The Hammer 92gr looks good to try in the Bob too.

So far, the only Classics I have found on auction sites are overpriced, IMO. Maybe not for a collector but I hunt with every rifle I have, I don't mind a rifle that looks like it has been hunted with. I may have to wait until spring, when "young men's thoughts turn to other things"...ha. I can always have a rifle rebarreled, if I do that, I'm gonna do what TD did and go with a 26" barrel. I just miss the rifle that that started me off on a great adventure of wildcatting, ha. I know some folks don't think of Improved rounds as wildcats, but I lump them all in together. I don't care for fireforming anymore, and I just don't shoot/hunt enough to warrant putting factory rounds out the barrel to fireform Improved rounds either. The only bonafide wildcat I would consider at this point is something I can simply neck up/down and get after it. I could reproduce 257 Bob somewhat with a long barreled 222 mag necked up to 25 ( like the wonderful little 6mmx47 I used) but I don't have a real need or desire for that. I don't save pelts so my 280/Hornady 120 Vmax is a great coyote killer as is. A money hunt for coyotes or another PD shoot, I am more than set up with my Bushmaster Predator in 223. I'll just keep my eye out for a Classic I want or a donor...you never know what may come....

Out of curiosity, what's a solid current fair market value for a good- to excellent-condition M700 Classic in 257Rbts?

Not in a position to make a move to reacquire that rifle yet, but curious what I'm looking at for cost when I do.

I'm guessing but probably around $800. I would look for a CDL with the longer barrel to get the most out of it. 26" is just right for all bullet weights I have used.

Preacher why not get a Savage 110 and and get a barrel for it chambered in 257 Rob. that way you could get the length and twist you want with a premium barrel. Or any brand rifle with the barrel nut that makes it easier to put a new barrel on.

tddeangelo":42hmsvuu said:
Out of curiosity, what's a solid current fair market value for a good- to excellent-condition M700 Classic in 257Rbts?

Not in a position to make a move to reacquire that rifle yet, but curious what I'm looking at for cost when I do.

I'd bet 800-1000 bucks. They only made so many of the Classics. Look how much the danged 250 Savages go for....

I'll have to work through my buddy to see if the guy who has it would even entertain selling it.

I need another rifle like a hole in the head, but I shot my first deer with that one, so I'd kinda like to have it back again.

I hear you there Tom. Especially since you have the XTR as well. It's hard to reach too far for a Remington :lol:

Sure seems like the 110 gr. AccuBond would find a sweet spot in the .257 Roberts. You would have good ballistics coupled with one of the heavier bullets for the .257 calibers.

#1- Even though Savages are accurate...they are "too butt ugly for me,Period", ha
#2- Every 700 257 classic I have seen are at "minimum" $1K...and closer to 1.5K. No dice, thank you. I can have a nice Rem/Win blueprinted, custom barrel, made up for .75% of that or less. I just lost a bid on one over on Gunbroker... I started at 1K and the winning bid was almost $1300! No way is that worth it 'to me". :)

Preacher, I agree...Life is too short own an ugly gun!

Sold my savage in in 6.5x284. Will replace it with either a Nosler or Cooper someday.

Bought the savage to play with the cartridge and get a hands-on feel for the round. Knew going in that it would not be a lengthy possession, regardless of how well it shot. (Plus it was the first factory LH rifle in that cartridge and I had not yet played with any rifle in this cartridge)

Back