.257 Roberts again...maybe.

They are a little thick. The old ones were much worse, but the newer ones seem to be more open at the wrist. I'd feel a couple of them before you jumped in. Some over them, some hate them. Go check out a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather, that is the B&C they are using. Try to find a newer one as they redesigned them some. Good stocks but they don't fit everyone perfectly.

My smith is pretty good at stock making... I had him "slim up" several stocks for me through the years. When I had a special rifle ( mod 700 bdl .270) made up for my Marine SILs return from Iraq in 2004, I had a AAA Claro stock from Richards fit and trimmed by him, then sent it off for checkering. Its a beauty!

Dropped off the rifle at my smiths today. Just looking at it he said it had indeed been set back ( could tell by the slight gap in the inletting of the rear sight bulge/stock. He seems pretty sure he can get it out of the stock. I spoke with him about what I'd like to have done to it if he could; pillar bed, floated, trigger work, reshape that cowcatcher grip cap! ha

I bought an Arisaka type 99 sporterized two weeks ago.
I have put a barrel on it and chambered for 257 Roberts, first time to use that reamer.

But I have been fooling around making pillars and recoil lugs for days.

I have killed animals with 257 Roberts Ackley rimmed and the 25-06, so I have plenty of Nosler 257 Rob brass and plenty of 100 and 115 gr nos ballistic tips.

Good luck with it Jim. I'm hoping you love it once you get it worked over. Modern 257 Roberts is pretty danged good.

Thanks Scotty.
Hey Clarkma, my dad fought the Japanese...the japs had a long barreled ( and a short one) in 6.5 Jap. My Dad and his pals called it a "Jap .25" ( they didn't know the actual caliber) but the short one was prized as a war trophy and a deer rifle back home. My dad had a real nice one. he said, but had to turn it in in Okinawa...bummer. My uncle brought a 7.7 Arisaka home from the Battle of Manila ( he was in both battles! When the japs took it and when the US took it back!) Not pretty rifles, but tough as they come. I've been seeing some sporterized Arisakas at Cabela's...don't know who has been marketing them. Good luck to you..

I called my smith and asked him if his curiosity had him try to get the rifle apart yet, he said had. What did you have to do I asked? "You don't want to know", he said, ha. Said he was able to "muscle" the rifle apart w/o any damage to the stock. Turns out it was not welded with Acraglass it was just age and super tight inletting. So far so good...

The rifle was indeed bedded with Acraglass but had been bedded full length. It looked like the guy got a bit "high" on the barrel diameter in the forearm area. At least the thing came loose. My smith is going to pillar bed/float it.

Sounds good PJ I hope it shoots for you. It probably has never been out of the stock since it was bedded. I have a Tang safety M77 that I had bedded right after I got it do to the fore arm warping.
The POI has never changed on it since it was done back in the late 1970s early 1980s and not sure just when I bought it new a few months before the deer season here.
I would be scared to try and remove the action from the stock and besides it isn't broke so no need to fix it.

This rifle came with extra high rings on it, I'm thinking a rock chuck shooter had it before. The bore looks really good so whoever it was shot it sparingly or at least slow. I don't know if Winchester used a long throat for the 257 Bob ( this rifle was originally a Bob) but it has as long a throat as that Mod 700 classic I had. Maybe they did and that's why the rifle wasn't shot much, maybe the light bullets didn't suit the guy. Winchester used the 1/10" twist, so I'm happy, I plan on shooting the heavier bullets. If I can fins some of those older Hornady 120HP bullets I'd use them even on coyotes...the opened fine on crows!

I'm not sure on the throats of the 257 Roberts for a P64 Jim. I know my 338 is pretty "normal" for regular Bullets.

Can't wait to see some range targets. Most I've heard of were/are great shooters.

Back