.257 Roberts and RL 15 for 120 grain Partitions?

Doc

Beginner
Nov 25, 2004
Greetings,
I'm brand new to the forum, and looking forward to participating in the resource. Right now, I've got a question. Has anyone worked up loads for the .257 Bob using RL 15 and 120 grain Partitions? That combination is not listed in the Nosler manual. Not sure why it's omitted unless they think RL 15 is too fast for the 120, and/or the charge to case capacity ratio may be lower than desired for optimum burn? I live in Alaska and prefer to use powders that are more temperature tolerant/insensitive. RL 15 has done me well for years in my larger caliber loadings (even the smaller .223). I'm also new to the Roberts, but I'm excited about its potential on our medium game here.

I found Reloder 22 to be ideal in my 257 Roberts with the 120 Partition. However, it is not a temp-insensitive powder, so I would be inclined to try H4350 or H4831SC in your 257 R. I believe that RL15 is a bit quick for the Roberts with that weight of bullet. It would work, if you are willing to sacrifice a fair bit of velocity. Eagleye.

Thanks Eagleeye for the ideas.
I'll try the H4350 with the 120 partitions, as I'm familiar with that powder. By the way, I'm breaking in a new Lilja barrel for my Roberts. Loaded a bunch of 90 grain Sierras with 41 grains of RL 15 for barrel break in.....man is it a shooter. It's the finest barrel I've ever used...very smooth bore from the begining. Can't wait to see what it does with Ballistic Tips!

I have had my Roberts for about 20 years now. It was a Remington 700 Classic, and I toasted the original barrel in about 5 years, I shot it so much. Right now it wears a 24" Shilen Match Grade barrel in a lightweight sporter contour. It will always put three 120 Partitions into one ragged hole at 100 meters if I do my part. It has accounted to quite a number of muley/whitetail deer, a couple of Black Bears and at least two Moose. I shot one of my best 300 meter groups with it [out of a hunting rifle], it measures 5/8" center to center. I love the Roberts. Mild, effective and accurate. Velocities on mine are really great also. What can I say? Good luck with yours!! :grin: Eagleye.

Back