257 WBY first range results

khh

Beginner
May 17, 2005
Picked up a Weatherby Vanguard S2 SS/SYN in 257 Bee last week. Took it to the range first shot at 100 was 6-7" high dialed down shot 2 more couldn't see them walked down found both in the bull. Walked back gave myself a few min to catch my breath. Shot the 3rd shot could just see it at the top of the bull knew the news was good. Think I'll keep this one.

DSC01174_zpsd37e393e.jpg

That looks great, I guess you definitely would want to keep a gun like that :)

I do believe keeping that particular rifle would be an exceptionally wise move on your part. That has to put a smile on your face.

Load was a starting load 69.0 RL22 100 gr. TTSX just did the length to max cart. OAL Weatherby's are free bored so can't really reach the lands so I new I was off them a ways. RL22 has always given me top velocity and good accuracy. I've tried TSX and TTSX in several rifles and calibers and have had great accuracy in all. My friend has a S2 Sporter shoots just as good at 71.0 that's where I'll try to get to. Really impressed with the 2 S2's I've messed with.

Excellent load and excellent shooting! You've hit the sweet spot with that load.

Believe it or not, 68gn or RL-22 and the 110gn AccuBond is a great load in my S2 257 Wby.

Your work is done. That is some fine shooting.
Maybe you can give it a test drive on a coyote.

JD338

Good shooting rifle! I have always had a lot of respect for the .257 Bee. Everyone of them that I am familiar with are shooters and they have a lot of velocity going for them as well.

Good shooting. I shoot the TSX version with 72g of RL22. I haven't killed anything with it yet...

They like that load and bullet.
Mine does that with 71 gr and the same bullet.
It's really impressive on coyotes.
Dewey

khh, I also have the S2 in 257. Bought is shortly after they came out. Didn't like the tupperware stock; fixed. I have found that RL25, 71gr pushing 120 PT works for me. Accuracy is as you have shown.

Attachments

• P1000402.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 1,480
TRIC,

That is a nice looking stock!
24" tube?

JD338

Yes, 24". The stock is from Boyd's. Only added about 9 ounces to total weight.

Sako7STW,
Not sure on the velocity right now I will try to work up to 71 gr. My friend has a S2 also and his shoots that load really good. I expect it to be 3450+ @ 71 but I won't know for sure until I chrono it. I'll probably try a more temperature insensitive power to because I may take it to Saskatchewan at some point.

I've wanted a Bee for years I've had 4 25-06's over the years and they just don't flip my switch like the 257 WBY does. It didn't help that only 1 was accurate and it took a trip back to Marlin to have it re-barreled to do that. The Marlin ended up being a 1" gun but I had an issue this fall with the plastic trigger guard and decided I have better things to do than worry about a plastic part breaking in sub zero temps. The Vanguard S2 is a much better quality gun IMO. I had a friend who's been bugging me to buy the Marlin because he knew it shot so well. He just wants to carry it in his truck to shoot what ever he happens across here in Michigan for that its a perfect rifle so he has a the 25-06 I have a Bee so we're both happy.

khh,

Congrats! Sure makes life much easier when a gun shoots like that right out of the box. My first 257 Bee was an S1 that did the same thing, only it was with Factory Ammo(115BST). Purchased the gun, had a scope mounted and bore sighted, then went immediately to the range...no cleaning, no nothing. Fired 1 fouling shot that was only a few inches off. Fired three more and all 3 were touching! Needless to say, that was the most consistently accurate load in that gun, even compared to my handloads.

Back