26 Nosler,first shots/ladder

mkcj

Beginner
Jul 6, 2011
My son and I took our 26's to the range for the first time today for break in and load development, I shot 129gr ABLR over H50BMG powder and WLRM primers, Son shot 140gr Partitions over US869 and WLRM. After shooting these model 48 patriots in 26 Nosler we both say they are THE BEST GUNS WE HAVE EVER SHOT!! We shot 4 rounds each to get close to bull and then started the 7 ladder rounds I loaded, for each load I started at the bottom of Noslers load data for each bullet and increased by 3 grs up the ladder. Starting point for the 129's were 82.5 of H50BMG and 84.0 of US869 on the 140 PT. For these first 11 rounds we cleaned barrel after every shot. All shots were at 100yds.

This first photo is the 7 ladder rounds from my gun with the 129 ABLR

This is from my sons shooting the 140 PT

We didn't have time to shoot the other 14, range was closing,but I think they show a lot of potential. thoughts and advise please, Thank you.

Did I say I LOVE THIS RIFLE?

FWIW, I like to do my ladders at 200 or even 300 if possible. My rationale behind this is first, it disperses the strikes a little bit more and makes it clearer for my aging eyes; and second, it gives me a little bit of an idea how the rifle may perform a little further out.
I even do 300 if that distance is available for you.
Frequently at 100 yards a really decent rifle is going to clump the majority of your shots in a fairly narrow area. Don't know about you but I sometimes have issues differentiating what is really a stand out in a small area.
On your sons; it looks like around 84.9-85.2 you may have something. Maybe 82.8-83.4 on yours but if it were me, I would want to stretch that out a little bit to confirm that area.
Terrific news that you are liking the Nosler Rifles. They appear to be very nice and everything I have heard has confirmed that. You're going to have to stick us a few pics up of them. :grin:

Do it at 300 for more accurate results. 100 yds does not really mean much....unfortunately

That's what I was thinking after a few shots and they were almost all touching, the range only goes to 200yds, we can't shoot at our cabin as everything is shut down right now from the fires here.

the 6.5's have me interested , I'll be watching your progress on this . I'm just not sure how accurate your info will be by using a clean barrel every shot , most guns will put the first round out of the group . this could be spoiling your results .

my best advice is , if your target isn't talking clearly to you , add 100 yards and shoot it again . distance will really clear things up .

Now that I have some fired brass I checked my chamber length to lands with my comparator, the 129 ABLR bullets I loaded were to max OACL of 3.340 as Nosler said, which after measuring put them .131 off the lands. My sons gun shooting the 140 partitions loaded to 3.300 measured out to .048 off the lands. How much jump do these bullets usually like?

For most bonded core bullets, including ABLR, I allow 0.100 inches of jump to the lands. I've had a few rifles that liked more and a couple that liked less. However, for a first approximation, it does appear that 0.100 inches is about right.

mkcj":2xajt81i said:
Does that mean the Partition in my sons gun needs to be loaded a little longer than .048?

Maybe, though I treat the Partition as though it was a cup-and-core bullet (which it is on the front). I get excellent accuracy on most cartridges.

So I was thinking about seating and thought I would check the Nosler factory box of 140gr Accubonds that I have with my comparator. In our M48's the factory rounds would have a jump of .084 and .091, The Partitions I loaded have a jump of .048, I'm going to push the ones I have loaded for this weekends shooting a little deeper (.090) see how that works.

Back