264 win mag problem

Fishinmech

Beginner
Nov 1, 2015
I have a 264 win mag M77 mark2
The problem I am having is I cannot load to coal. That the manual calls for I am loading the 140 AccuBond. Anyone else have a proble, like this with the ruger.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the Ruger is throated a bit short just loading a bit deeper will solve that. I have a 264 Win Mag that the gunsmith throated long, I wish he would have set it up like your Ruger especially now that it has had some throat erosion. The Ruger 77 is an excellent gun, I bet it will shoot very well for you.

Fishinmech,

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you posting here. Gerry has given you excellent advice. Trying loading your COAL shorter to match your chamber and you should resolve the problem.

I was thinking of extending the throat. But now that you said this and I think about it might just load deep. And save my barrel I don't shoot it much I have had it a long time. Along with all my other odd ball calibers. Only one that makes me scratch my head. What powder do you load yours with. And thanks for the welcome.

My M70 in 264 is very short-throated. I figure I'll shoot it some more, than have a smith work on it.

It hasn't given me any issues finding accuracy or speed. Just have to know what it needs as far as OAL.

My rounds for my 264 are silly looking they're seated that deep, but they are pretty accurate and lethal on game. The AB likes to jump a bit usually, and a short throat means they just get shoved that much deeper in the case. My OAL is 3.150 for accuracy. That's REALLY short for a 264, but that's what works for my rifle.

Just work the loads with that in mind, as seating depth can impact pressure. Just load for it and work up carefully, as usual.

3.150 is about what mine is. And I agree they do look funny but if y'all have pretty good results guess it time to load them up since I finally shot the 5 boxes of factory ammo over the last 12 years.

Mine won't chamber past about 3.240 or so. 3.15 is where it's been happy with seat depth for accuracy.

It might look a bit funny but I can tell you being able to load a 140 gr out to past 3.500" and being able to chamber it looks worse :) I have started using the 156 gr Norma Oryx now, it doesn't look too bad though only at 3.415".

I am shooting the 130 gr Accubound out of my custom 700 Rem. Shilen barrel 264 Win mag with COAL 3.450 and that is 10 thousands off the lands. It looks like a Saturn 5 rocket LOL. I have a 27 3/4" barrel and with Retumbo powder I get 3350 fps with half MOA accuracy. Flat shooting deer smoking round.

I'd look at Retumbo or similar slow powder. I think you'll find speed and accuracy pretty quick. Good luck with. Heckuva great cartridge.

With my M70 I can't seat bullets, 140 AccuBond, to list COAL either. No worries, just shorten them up and find an accurate load.

Mine has no trouble loading out to an acceptable length. I'm using the NABLR - 142 gr getting pushed by some RL-33 powder.

I had a Rem 700 in 7MM Mag that was short throated. Seating the bullet deeper solved the issue.
Gun was very accurate.

Don

Book OALs are one number I pay no attention to except when it comes to smaller handgun cartridges.

Didn't they have some two diameter bullets for the 264 when it first came out that were supposed to let you load to a longer OAL?

Alderman the ogive on the AccuBond is way out at the tip. That is the problem I have run into. I could load a hornday but im not that type of person. I am going to try partitions maybe just need to load some and shoot the AccuBond and see what I can do.

I am having good luck with RL 33 and the 142 LRAB as well as the 140 AB. Speeds aren't super-fast but 3100 is good enough when I get nickel-sized groups.

Bbear":50799uip said:
I am having good luck with RL 33 and the 142 LRAB as well as the 140 AB. Speeds aren't super-fast but 3100 is good enough when I get nickel-sized groups.

3100 and 140's will get it done all day long!

Back