.264 win mag vs. 257 weatherby mag

laker

Beginner
Jun 25, 2006
Which one would you choose for hunting deer and antelope? Why would you choose that one over the other one?

They're both great calibers. When I purchased my Mark V .257 Wby. Mag, I was actually looking for a .264 Win. Mag. However, this was a year before Remington came out with their .264 Win. Mag, and two years before Ruger came out with their .264 Win. Mag in the Hawkeye. The Ruger only comes in a 24" tube, so there really isn't much difference between that and a regular .270 Win.
I like the fact that the .264 can load the 140 grain bullets, which could be an added benefit on large mulies.
All that said, I'm very pleased with the .257 Wby. Mag. If you're not a reloader the amount of factory loaded ammo is considerabley better than the .264 Win. Right now, I'm getting sub-MOA, 3 shot groups, at 100 yards, shooting handloaded 117 grain Sierra Pro-Hunters. I would love to shoot the 120 grain Partition but after countless attempts I still have yet to find a load that shoots under 1.5".
Although I haven't killed any big-game with the Weatherby, I've seen many kills, from my brother-in-law's .257 Wby, as wel as, my dad's. Each animal killed has acted as if it were struck by lightning...no tracking required, as the critters piled up right where they stood.
I would suggest you choose the caliber related to the rifle you prefer, as the ballistics of both calibers are quite comparable.
Good luck!

For deer/antelope I would take the 257,if I was going to be taking VERY long shots or maybe an elk here and there I would take the 264.You have to stretch the range way out there to see the higher BC's of the 264 bullets to come into play,and I see no need for the 130-140gr. 264 bullets for deer.YMMV.

laker,

The design of the Weatherby cartridges do not please me. I don't like the freebore that they have, the double radius shoulder and the brand in general.

The twist of the 257W. is not as fast as the 264W and it will never shoot bullets that have as good ballistic properties as the 6.5 mm bullets.

Now for ordinary ranges either one will be similar for regular game. The 264 will shoot bullets for larger game as well.

I have a pre 64 M70 Westerner. Its very accurate.

The Win mag...

Brass is cheaper and everywhere because you can use 7 Rem Mag if needed..Good powders and better selection of heavier weight bullets..

Plus the 264 bore has a awesome bullet S.D and B.C .

laker":3i075vca said:
Which one would you choose for hunting deer and antelope? Why would you choose that one over the other one?
.........................Ballistically, both will really have no concrete advantage over the other.

The .257 factory ammo is more expensive and the heavier bullet advantage goes to the .264. Accuracy is really a wash between them.

There is nothing that the 257 can do, that the 264 cannot do on any game.

It `s really a toss up. But as a slightly better all around caliber/cartridge from varmits to moose, I`d go with the 264 Win Mag.

There is a certain cool factor with the 257 Weatherby. 8)

JD338

I'll toss a little something extra on the thread - how about a 270Wby? It will do everything either of the other two will, and offers the advantage of 150gr bullets for elk and other larger game. I have one, in a Mark V, and let me say that freebore and double radius shoulders are fine with me, as I have a load that consistently shoots sub-.5" three shot groups at 100yds, and have recently found several other loads that shot sub-.75" groups during load workups. I suspect I could get them even smaller with some COL tweaks.

In reality, and of the three would work fine for what you're asking. Perhaps it comes down to what it did for me - what do you find first, on a deal? In fact, I know where you could get a really nice Mark V in 270Wby right now - ask POP. I'll be glad to help with load development.

I shoot a .257 WBY MK-V. I load 68.0 grains of IMR 4831 and 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. I chrony'd them at 3625 here in Utah at 5280 elevation. The load shoots about 1-1.2 inch groups.

I zero it a 335 yards which puts me -4 at 400, -15 at 500, and -32 at 600. Me and my hunting buddys have taken the following mule deer with 1 shot: A 25 inch 3 Pt. at 150 yards, A 24 inch 3pt. at 125 yards, A 20 inch 3pt at 353 yards, A 18 inch 3 pt at 390 yards.

I loaded 69 grains of IMR 7828 at 3400 fps with a 310 yard zero. With a 120 Nosler Partition and last year took a cow elk at 200 yards and a 6pt. bull at 563 yards.

All of the animals taken have dropped in their tracks except 2 of the deer and the cow, they ran 30 yards.

For me I love the low recoil of the .257 WBY. MAG. Fast, Flast, good hunting accuracy and the ballistic tips are great. It makes short work of big game here in Utah.

My friend just bought a gun and wanted a little bigger bullet. I told him to get the .270 WBY Mag. What a gun. He is shooting 74.5 grains of IMR7828 and getting 3460 fps with 130 grain ballistic tips. He has a long range scope. We set zero at 300 and dial in 4 min. of angle. He is shooting good at 500 yards and farther with the 6.5-20 long range Leupold.

My bro and dad also shoot .257's. 1 shot kills!!!

A 257 bee...no contest! And I have had rifles in both calibers.

without a doubt the 264, because,
there are no high BC bullets available in 257 that will shoot in a standard twist . the 6.5 vld's BC goes from .585 to .64 that will run fine in a 9 twist at 264 wm velocities. No use having a magnum if you can't fully appreciate its range capabilities. the use of a high BC heavy for caliber bullet automaticly cuts your drop and wind drift 30%.
RR

I own both. Both are very accurate, the .257 is a little faster, the .264 is a little heavier. the .264 was easier to work a load for, mainly due to the freebore in the ,257 WBY. But, the .257 shoots very well with 120 gr partitions, and the 264 shoots 140 gr partitions. I have taken elk, deer, hogs in more than 1 state with both... Bottom line, the 257 is easier to find quality brass and factory loads here in Ca, so I prefer it slightly... Either way, you win.
Hardpan.

dubyam":2jbnarsz said:
I'll toss a little something extra on the thread - how about a 270Wby? It will do everything either of the other two will, and offers the advantage of 150gr bullets for elk and other larger game. I have one, in a Mark V, and let me say that freebore and double radius shoulders are fine with me, as I have a load that consistently shoots sub-.5" three shot groups at 100yds, and have recently found several other loads that shot sub-.75" groups during load workups. I suspect I could get them even smaller with some COL tweaks.

In reality, and of the three would work fine for what you're asking. Perhaps it comes down to what it did for me - what do you find first, on a deal? In fact, I know where you could get a really nice Mark V in 270Wby right now - ask POP. I'll be glad to help with load development.

Yes! and there is a perfect one featured in the clasifieds ---cheap

130 Accubonds at over 3400 fps and 2" at 200 yards.

Well, I love my 264's. I've got a Pre 64 Westerner model 70 and a Savage 111 with a 31" 1-8.5 poly-rifled Pacnor barrel. Love'em both, but I still bought a 257 wby Vanguard sporter after having both and it's a great rifle as well.

I load a 120grn HPBT SGK in the 257, 130 AccuBonds in the winchester, and 140 SMK's in the savage. I'll be trying 115NBT's in the 257 when I get them.

I really doubt that I am the marksman that some of the members on here are. However, if you do your part, either caliber will impress you in a good rifle.

I will say that 264 will shock you with it's ability to administer SEVERE trauma to game animals. I haven't had the 257 long enough to know what it does. The 264 seems to do more damage than a 7mm Rem Mag for some reason, I beleive it's the sectional density of the bullets.

CC.

could always get a 7 mag and pretend it is either one with lighter 7mm bullets. It will outspeed them both.

7mm 120gr NBT (BC .417)from a 7 rem according to Nosler 6 3500FPS, most likely would never notice the difference in BC up against a .257 110 grn AB (BC .418) or the .257 115grn NBT (BC .453). At least not under 4-5 hundred yards.
The 6.5mm bullets are a bit better, the 130 grn AB has a BC of .488 and the 140 grn NPT is .490.
The listed powders in Nosler 6 don't get either much over 3000FPS, I've taken my 264 model 70 up to 3300FPS with retumbo, but it gets dirty very fast. I have to clean it every 20-30 rounds. I tried my pet load in a 31" tight chamber with nosler brass and seen significant pressure signs.

All that is basically what RMIller said, you could just use a 7mm Rem.

To be honest, I think that all rifles are fun to shoot, however it doesn't matter how many I have at any given moment, there is always one in the case I reach for because it shoots for me and I trust it. That has been my 264 M70 for a few years and before that a 7mm Rem Sako 75 SS/Syn. that I sold to pay for a honeymoon. LOL, and NO, I wouldn't trade her back for the rifle either.

This year I loaned it to a family member and feel lost with te rest of my rifles, go figure. Most likely, I could do without the rest or maybe just need to work on the others until I trust them all.

CC.

Back