.270 Choice for Eastern Black Bear

lepjr

Beginner
Feb 13, 2006
I will be going on my first black bear hunt in fall og '06. I currently reload for my .270 for whitetail deer here in Virginia. My load consists of a 130Gr. NBT on top of 54 grains of IMR4350 for deer. Will this load be acceptable for bear hunting or should I opt for a Partition or AccuBond. Looking for your load suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

I load 57.5 grs. of H-4831 with a 150 gr. Partition. I'm going to try the 140 gr. AccuBond also. The ballstic tip is too explosive for bear in my opinion. The 150 gr. load gives me about 2800 f.p.s.

lepjr wrote: ".....My load consists of a 130Gr. NBT on top of 54 grains of IMR4350 for deer. ..."

The only thing that I would change would be the bullet. I like the AccuBond. My load for my .270Win. Model 70, 24" bbl., is 130gr AccuBond, 55gr IMR4350, Win. std large rifle primers, Win. brass. I get 3205 fps, chrony 10' from muzzle. As always, if you switch bullets or other components, start lower and work up slowly. Good luck on your bear hunt.

I would step up to the 150 gr Partion. Eastern Black Bears have a very thick layer of fat in the fall (getting ready to go into the long winter). I have seen the time when 2 well placed 150 gr partitions to the shoulder from 200 yds out did not drop a very large Blackie. To complicate the matter, their fur is very thick and dense in the fall, and will soak up a lot of blood before any makes it to the ground for tracking. If there is no snow cover to aid in tracking, it can get pretty dicey. Accu-bonds may be fine, but for bruins, I still stick to the tried and proven partitions....the heavier the better.

Blaine

lepjr,

I would try both the AB and the PT and pick the one that shoots the best.
Black Bear are not hard to kill with proper shot placement.
A 140 gr AB from your 270 Win through the lungs will drop even a big black bear quickly. :wink:

Regards,

JD338

Back