270 win browning ABolt 1 150ab suggestions

My .270s like the Sierra 150 gr. Game King. My rifles all but one have 24" barrels except the Ruger #A which is 22" The bullet has proven accurate with H4831 which I no longer use only because I have a more than lifetime supply of Winchester's WMR powder that they dropped probably 20 years ago by now. velocity wise, close to 2900 FPS, accuracy usually less than one inch and all my rifles seem to like it a bit better thatH4831. The bullet is not to destructive on lighter game like antelope and one of my hunting partners swears by it in his .270 for elk.
Paul B.

My .270s like the Sierra 150 gr. Game King. My rifles all but one have 24" barrels except the Ruger #A which is 22" The bullet has proven accurate with H4831 which I no longer use only because I have a more than lifetime supply of Winchester's WMR powder that they dropped probably 20 years ago by now. velocity wise, close to 2900 FPS, accuracy usually less than one inch and all my rifles seem to like it a bit better thatH4831. The bullet is not to destructive on lighter game like antelope and one of my hunting partners swears by it in his .270 for elk.
Paul B.
Another good bullet that just looks plain old ugly is the federal fusion 150 grain but they shoot like they are target bullets or maybe it's just my Tikka rifle. Luckily I got a good batch of them when they were available and cheap.

Of the powders you listed, I'm partial to IMR 7828 ssc. I can get close to 3000 fps with a 150 Partition from a 22" barrel. My loads start at 0.040 off the lands due to the size of a model 70 magazine box. Oal on my loads hover around 3.340 +- 0.005.

Of the powders you listed, I'm partial to IMR 7828 ssc. I can get close to 3000 fps with a 150 Partition from a 22" barrel. My loads start at 0.040 off the lands due to the size of a model 70 magazine box. Oal on my loads hover around 3.340 +- 0.005.
do you think the ablr's would be a bit slower at the ab's at the same length?

My experience with the ABLR is that they are faster than the AB due to less bearing surface.

JD338

I tried the 150 gr. ABLR in three 7x57s and a .280 Rem. I go the speed but not the accuracy. I thought they just might be close to perfection in the 7x57 as I easly got 2800 FPS plus with RL17. Average groups were in the 3.5" range for the bolt actions and a bit over 4" in the Ruger #1. I'd have to look at my notes but IIRC, close to 4" in the .280 Rem. Too bad really as I think it's a good looking but that would have been best in the 7x57 based on conversations with one of my elk guides. He said that at speeds from most cartridges in the 7MM Rem. and other magnum classes the bullet was a bit too fragile unless the shot was past 200 yards. He thought that it should work a lot better at 7x57 and 7-08 speeds although still a bit fragile for shot a100 yards or less. I get excellent speed and accuracy from the 150 gr. Partition so it's no real big deal of the ABLRs don't work in my rifles. I'd play with them a bit more if powders weren't so scarce and expensive. It's tickle me pink if I could find a large jug of RL17 at a reasonable price but reality rules.
Paul B.

I tried the 150 gr. ABLR in three 7x57s and a .280 Rem. I go the speed but not the accuracy. I thought they just might be close to perfection in the 7x57 as I easly got 2800 FPS plus with RL17. Average groups were in the 3.5" range for the bolt actions and a bit over 4" in the Ruger #1. I'd have to look at my notes but IIRC, close to 4" in the .280 Rem. Too bad really as I think it's a good looking but that would have been best in the 7x57 based on conversations with one of my elk guides. He said that at speeds from most cartridges in the 7MM Rem. and other magnum classes the bullet was a bit too fragile unless the shot was past 200 yards. He thought that it should work a lot better at 7x57 and 7-08 speeds although still a bit fragile for shot a100 yards or less. I get excellent speed and accuracy from the 150 gr. Partition so it's no real big deal of the ABLRs don't work in my rifles. I'd play with them a bit more if powders weren't so scarce and expensive. It's tickle me pink if I could find a large jug of RL17 at a reasonable price but reality rules.
Paul B.
That's too bad Paul. I'm getting 3100 fps and sub .5 MOA in my 280AI

JD338

Back