.270 winchester

OldMan

Handloader
Dec 24, 2008
How many of you have experiences with this cartridge on elk? What are they and would you recommend it for elk.

OldMan

The 270 Win has taken its fair share of elk. Its all about using the right bullet and proper shot placement. I would suggest the 150 gr PT.

JD338

Well, my only experience was 15 years ago with my wife's uncle. He and a friend each had elk tags to fill and all they had were 270's loaded with 150 grain handloads of 58 grains of old Hodgdons 4831. They found 2 elk right at daybreak at around 100 yds and with a single shot each there was an elk laying on the ground. At that time I was a follower of Elmer Kieth and found this amazing, since he wrote that the 270 was " A JOKE ON ELK". I have been a Magnum man since the late 60's so I wonder just how much of a beating I may have taken over the years when I really didn't need to!

I come from the school of "There is No Replacement for Displacement".
For me, my elk rifle is a 338 RUM. :grin:

JD338

Up until recent bullet technology the .270 Win was generally labeled too light for elk, especially with 130 gr bullets. As the wonder bullets got into the field and usage data came back, conventional wisdom matured (as it were) the the .270 Win with 150 gr is generally blessed now.

Of course bullet placement is probably the most important variable.

I think my 6.5-'06 is OK for elk with the bullets I use, so a .270 should be fine with a good bullet and a hole in the right place.

good hunting...jim

I've seen it take down many cows and spikes across canyons. It was all my dad used for 15 years of hunting, and he used 130g core-lokts. Oh since the times have changed...

With todays rifles and ammo, optics, bullets, etc, I would feel totally comfortable out to 600 yards with a good 150g bullet. It all depends on your shot placement really.

Shot placement is the key, I believe.
Two elk standing broadside at 100 yards isn't a test. A bull elk quartering up a hill at 250 + yards at a trot is a test.
Greg

I have used the 270 Winchester on elk at 250 to 300 yards with the 130 grain silvertip handloaded warm. They were broadside shots, and 2 were a complete pass through. 1 bullet was recovered under the hide on the far shoulder and weighed in at 93.7 grains. The lungs were mashed, and they didn't take a step. The others were liver hits, and they dropped their heads, and the legs folded up under them. The 270 will definately do it's job, if you do yours.

Old Man. Mom and I have taken our fair share of elk with the .270 Winchester, and we've never had one get away. But we never hunted with a second class bullet. every last one was taken with the 150gr Nosler Partition.

Haven't used the 270 Win, but I have a bit of time against elk with my 270WSM and it worked pretty well with the 140gr Accubonds. I like the bigger bores for elk, but I wouldn't feel the least bit leary to use it again on elk. It is a flat shooting, light recoiling round. Add in a good Partition or AccuBond and I think you are plenty ready for any elk you see. Scotty

FWIW, of the 4-5 guys in our elk camp here's the rifle line up:
30-06 Rem pump
7mm-08 BLR
270 Win
270 WBY
and what ever four rifles of my list of rifles I decide to bring.

Hi, I just got back last Sunday from a Elk hunt and it was real successful.
I shot the largest Elk I have taken to date using my 270 win 130 AccuBond.
He was a mature 5 X 5 I have now shot 4 Elk with my 270 and have also shot a large cow moose. For a number of years I used a 375 H&H and it was great also.
I believe a good bullet and shot placement are way more important than calibre. I reload myself and I use IMR 4350 powder and 130 gr. AccuBond or Partition.
I will be leaving on the 31st of this month for a mule deer hunt and I am just waiting to get my rifle back as I had a trigger job done on it. I am going to use up my partitions for this hunt again in the 130gr.
I would not be afraid to try the 140 gr accubonds either but I always say why fix it if it ain't broken. :wink:

Great job. Give us the specifics of the shot on the elk.

Well he was walking at about 300 yards and I let a shot go and he stopped.
Both my hunting partners stated I hit him he stood for a minute or so and I thought he was bleeding out when he start a slow trot I missed my second shot as I put it over top and the 3rd shot was in the boiler room.
After the 3rd shot he did not go 10 yards and he was down. We estimated the 3rd was at approximately 325 yards.
When we got him back to the cabin and skinned him out I found the bullet just into the left front shoulder actually it was not even through the hide of the inside of the leg.
I just went downstairs and weighed the bullet, retained 109grs.
I was using IMR 4350 with a 130gr AccuBond on top.
I will take that on any big animal like the Elk.
We took the spiker in and it weighed 310 lbs field dressed hide, hide off.
So I would think that mine was at least a 100lbs more but I will know when he get it back from the butcher. :)

Sounds like good bullet performance and some good shooting. Elk are some tough animals and that bullet smashing through hide and bone says a lot for it. Glad you got your elk. That is great to hear another success story. Scotty

Well my grandpa has been killing elk with a 270 winchester and whatever 130gr bullets he could get his hands on for 68 years ( He borrowed a 250 savage while he was in high school), My dad still shoots a 270 winchester, so the very first rifle I ever bought was a 270 winchester. I took my first elk with it loaded with 150 gr. Partition golds. I was 15, and my handloading skills lacked something to be desired (big time :roll: ). I was not impressed with the 270 on my calf elk at all. The first shot hit her a bit back and ended up under the hide on the off shoulder. Two or three shots later and I hit her low in the shoulder and dropped her. I was skinning her out and found my first bullet. I never knew I even hit her until the last shot. since then I have never used a 270 winchester for anything. Now before I get burned alive in here, I'm not bashing the 270 winchester. If I knew what I know now and could go back and relive that hunt with my handloading know how vastly improved, I would not have missed the 340 class six point earlier in the morning, and very well could be still shooting that same rifle. But since I can't do that I have moved on to the 338 WM and will never go back. 270 Winchesters have killed more elk over the years with or without top of the line bullets that a person can't say it is to small for elk. You just have to be more concerned about range and shot angles than with some bigger calibers.

270 Winchesters can take elk.

Speaking of the 338 Win Mag, brings back memories of my first 7mm Mag. A big sale was on in 1976 and all the Ruger 77's were on sale for $179.95 so I ran in and bought a 7 mag. My next door neighbor went in at the same time and bought a 338 Mag and proudly came over with it to tell me that the 338 was so much better as an elk rifle there was just no comparison. We both went out the first morning of elk season and right there together went to shooting elk! I dropped mine cleanly with a single shot, then he shot at one standing broadside at less than 100 yards. His just stood there looking bewildered after he shot, his gun jammed, it still just stood there, then it finally fell over before he could clear the jam. Where was all that power that should have, by all his figuring, been blown off it's feet? Now I know a 338 is a good elk rifle, but it sure burst his bubble! Also back then the recoil pads on those guns were really pathetic and his arm was black and blue clear to his tit! Don't get offended by my musing over the 338 because I had a 340 Wby for a while and I know it's a good caliber!

Back