.270 with H4350

Old vet

Beginner
Feb 5, 2022
With today’s issues getting components I was in hopes of finding some info/starting point on reloading .270 with H4350 and using Nosler Ballistic Tip hunting in 130 gr.

I’m loading for a early series Browning A-Bolt Medallion rifle. Rifle has a 9.5 twist rate.

My main question is how far off the lands should I start ?

Powder charges are pretty straight up, and I’m not a person to load too hot. I emailed Nosler for info but haven’t ever received a reply.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• B49C56BC-EF8E-4CB5-9047-D0722F30D9D6.jpeg
    B49C56BC-EF8E-4CB5-9047-D0722F30D9D6.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 9
There's not a concrete answer to how far off should I start off the lands. Hunting loads I like a minimum of .020-.025. That's my normal minimum, doesn't mean that's where it will shoot the best, just that's as close as I want to go if that's where it does shoot best and I can help it. A lot of my hunting loads end up shooting the best between .040-.060 on average. Of course some rifle bullet combo's do better outside that range, either side.

If I was a betting man, I'd say start out at .040 off with the BT and work your loads up. I'd be confident you will find something very satisfactory. When you hit something that's close you could always try .010, on either side of that to see if it's even better.

ShadeTree has given a thoughtful and comprehensive answer. Allowing some room for a hunting load ensures that you won't wind up dumping your powder in the action should you eject a round without firing. In my own rifles, I've gotten away with 0.010 inch jumps with cup-and-core bullets. I do keep in mind that there is always a risk that a bullet may jam at an inopportune moment.

With today’s issues getting components I was in hopes of finding some info/starting point on reloading .270 with H4350 and using Nosler Ballistic Tip hunting in 130 gr.

I’m loading for a early series Browning A-Bolt Medallion rifle. Rifle has a 9.5 twist rate.

My main question is how far off the lands should I start ?

Powder charges are pretty straight up, and I’m not a person to load too hot. I emailed Nosler for info but haven’t ever received a reply.

Thanks for your input.

There's not a concrete answer to how far off should I start off the lands. Hunting loads I like a minimum of .020-.025. That's my normal minimum, doesn't mean that's where it will shoot the best, just that's as close as I want to go if that's where it does shoot best and I can help it. A lot of my hunting loads end up shooting the best between .040-.060 on average. Of course some rifle bullet combo's do better outside that range, either side.

If I was a betting man, I'd say start out at .040 off with the BT and work your loads up. I'd be confident you will find something very satisfactory. When you hit something that's close you could always try .010, on either side of that to see if it's even better.
Thank you sir

a lot of times the magazine box length will be shorter than the ammo length to the lands . if this is the case , start with your ammo at a length that will properly feed , and work shorter from there .

Unless you want to relegate your bolt action rifle to a single shot the magazine will be limiting factor in bullet seating depth. In most instances I alway start my seating depth as long as the magazine will allow and go from there.

You've probably already looked here, but does this help?

Jim and High Octane make a good point, if you happen to have a rifle with a long throat then loading to your magazine length is as long as you can go regardless of how far off that seats the bullets from the lands, unless you want to load it as a single shot.

I can't say I run into that very often. Maybe I happen to buy oddball rifles. An example is out of five 30-06's currently, 2 are actually a bit short in the throat, two I'd call just right, and 1 is long. The one that is long out of the bullets I've checked in it so far loaded at max length it's still way off.

Same as Mike, I will start at .010" off the lands with anything cup and core. Hard telling where you'll end up but I'd bet mot more than .050 off with them. I have never jammed a bullet seating like that. I hear it all the time about getting a bullet caught by jamming, but if you're .010" off them or even .005" that round has to be jammed a long way before it'll really stick.

H4350 and 130 BT's should be an easy to load for combo. I can't imagine load work will take much tinkering.
ShadeTree has given a thoughtful and comprehensive answer. Allowing some room for a hunting load ensures that you won't wind up dumping your powder in the action should you eject a round without firing. In my own rifles, I've gotten away with 0.010 inch jumps with cup-and-core bullets. I do keep in mind that there is always a risk that a bullet may jam at an inopportune moment.

Back