270 WSM vs 300 WSM Tikka T3 Lite

Thanks for all the input. I am going to do a chronograph session on my son's 300 WSM in the near future. I if I can shoot it well, that's what I probably will get. I am with you guys on the 7mm WSM, but I don't think the Tikka is available in that chambering. They do chamber in 7mm RM and even a 338 WM in the lite! OWW, that brings back memories of my 340 Wby. (kick'n SOB)

I believe you'll appreciate the 300 WSM, and you'll be pleasantly surprised that it does not kick badly at all. All that I have shot (about 30 or so) are comparable to a 30-06 off the bench. Hardly anyone chambers the 7 mm WSM. I'm afraid it is a dying cartridge, which is a shame as it is an excellent cartridge that will do anything for the discerning hunter.

DrMike":lxu1mnrh said:
I believe you'll appreciate the 300 WSM, and you'll be pleasantly surprised that it does not kick badly at all. All that I have shot (about 30 or so) are comparable to a 30-06 off the bench. Hardly anyone chambers the 7 mm WSM. I'm afraid it is a dying cartridge, which is a shame as it is an excellent cartridge that will do anything for the discerning hunter.
My son has both a 300 Wby mark V and theTikka 300WSM and according to him the recoil of the Tikka is way less than the Wby. On another note, I have worked up loads for a friend with both a 300 Ultra Mag and a 300 SAUM, they both shoot well. But he only has praise for the SAUM because it is so easy to carry and shoot, He doen't even take the 300 Ultra out of it's space in the gun cabinet!

OldMan

You might also want to consider a good recoil pad. I really like the Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad. It took the sting out of my 338 RUM and 20 rounds off the bench and prone are no problem.
Another option would be to get the rifle Magna-Ported. I "think" its about a 15% recoil reduction. If you did both, I would think the 300 WSM would be a real pussy cat to shoot.

Let us know what you decide to get and keep us posted with your range results.

JD338

I got a Tikka T-3 when they first came out in 300WSM had the recoil pad change. Sako makes the barrel for the Tikka and I think it's 1/11 twist mine shot 1/2 to 3/4 inch 3 shot groups.

I consider this when I got the rifle the bolt is enclosed so your not going to top feed etc and pretty hard to get extra magazine. So the T-3 is on loan to a friend of mine if I ever decide I want it back. At the time I paid alttle over $400 but I just couldn't get use to the close-in- bolt.

I have a 270 WSM and my dad just bought a 300 WSM, with the decelerator pad on the 300 it is not bad to shoot at all and I shoot them a lot. Im partial to anything 270, have shot hogs from over 200 yards with it and shot hogs with the 300, a 400 pounder last year and have never had anything run with either.

Another rifle to look at is the wetherby sub MOA, thats what his 300 is and it is a very nice rifle and shoots good, he found it for a touch over $600 and its guarenteed to shoot under an inch. It looks good to, Im a sucker for pretty guns.

OldMan,

If a rifle does not have a decent recoil pad, I put on either a Pachmayr Decelerator or a Limbsaver Pad first thing. Either tames the felt recoil quite well. Since the Tikka comes with a decent recoil pad, I don't believe you will have any discomfort.

I would have to agree with DR. Mike in regards to the .300WSM. I've shot Elk with my Kimber Montana and found no problems with a 180 Grain Partition. I don't think I would go to the 200 grain due to the depth at which the bullet is going to be set. You are definitely going to lose some powder space. I get an honest 3020 with IMR4350 and 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups. The fact that the Kimber weighs a little over 7 pounds with scope and a magazine full doesn't hurt at all. Go with the .300.

I HATE MY TIKKA T-3!!!!
DSC00663.jpg
[/img]

Yeah, Kraky, that is hard to take. That is a fine target representing some great shooting.

btw----that was a batch of "blem" or "2nds" off of Shooters Proshop. Probably paid about $9/50 back then. Imagine how good it would have been with the 1st quality bullets!! haha.

kraky":20ify2h4 said:
I HATE MY TIKKA T-3!!!!
DSC00663.jpg
[/img]

Man, I've seen shot guns group better than that!!!!!! I'll give you 100 bucks and take that pathetic shooting rifle off your hands. 8) 8) 8)

kraky

Great shooting! That is the magic load for the 300 Win Mag. I have shot well under MOA in 3 different rifles and I know there are a few fellas here that have the same level of accuracy. Good job!

JD338

Back