270 WSM

ls1cwby

Beginner
Oct 8, 2009
Looking for recommendations for powders using 130BT, are there any "go to" powders for the 270 WSM

My Hodgdon manul show H4350,60.5 grains at 3226FPS and my IMR manual shows IMR4350,62.5 grains at 3230FPS for the130gr.HYD.SP. I wouldn't be afraid to use a Nosler 130BT for the same loads.

Noslers Rock!

I have used MAGPRO quite a bit with the 130gr HDY Interbonds. The accuracy and speed is very good. I think I am at 72gr of MAGPRO, CCI250's, WW Nickel Case. I "think" my OAL is 2.860. It shoots really well out of my M70.

The 130gr BT may be a touch small for the 270WSM. With 3000FPS as the roof for BT's, I would step up to a 140 or even a 150. You can still push a 150 to over 3000FPS and you have better BC and SD numbers in order to hold the bullet up over range and in game. The 270WSM is one of my favorites. If you want to shoot a 130, I would go for an AccuBond, Partition or other similar bullet. Scotty

Thanks for the input, I agree with the heavier bullets, I happen to have a bunch of the 130 BT's so I was starting there. This is my first WSM or magnum for that matter.

If you get your BTs shot up the AccuBond will handle WSM speeds with pretty nicely. The 140 AB is a pretty sexy bullet for the 270 WSM.

No worries at all. I think the 130's would work fine, but I would be scared to have one hit much bone at a closer range shot. Other than that, if you can keep it in the soft stuff, I bet it would be DYNAMITE on deer. I can't imagine any deer walking away from one of those smoking along at 3300FPS.

I imagine a 130gr Partition would be pretty deadly also. Good, solid construction and the ability to push it along pretty darn fast. I think it would shoot about like a laser! Scotty

http://www.realguns.com/loads/270wsm.htm

Beretzs,

Have you loaded the 150 BT's, if so what powder is working for you?
This will be a dedicated Deer/Antelope gun and I really like the performance of the BT's on these sized animals. The 150 would seem like a great combo for this.

Welcome to the forum. You are packing a fine cartridge with the 270 WSM--one which is quite adequate for most of the game in North America.

For a dedicated deer/antelope rifle, the 130 BT will work well except at closer range. Scotty is right that the 140 AB will work very well indeed. I am using the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM, and it performs quite well. At the likely muzzle velocities generated by the 270 WSM, I would imagine that you will find better performance with the AB than with the BT. However, at distances exceeding 100 yards (where velocities should have dropped below 3100 fps with the 130 grain BT), the BT should perform more than adequately for you.

Thanks for the welcome Dr. Mike. I've been lurking around here for a long time trying to absorb some of the knowledge. This is an amazing place, friendly and tons of information. I just got the 270 WSM and I thought this would be a good place to see what is working for others and save me some money by narrowing the powder choices down. My goal is to get some 150 BT's shooting good out of this gun as I feel this would make an excellent deer/antelope round. Has anybody tried Retumbo with 150gr bullets?

Since you say you are looking for a dedicated deer/antelope rifle, the 150 grain BT is not really necessary. It will certainly work, but the 130 or 140 grain AB may be a better choice.

I have not personally loaded the 150 BT, though I have loaded the 140 AB with 70 grain of Retumbo (71 grains with a lot of freebore). The powder provided good ballistics and acceptable groups. H1000 also gave good ballistics and groups that were marginally better. Especially if you are looking for an extreme powder, these two would be good choices. However, Scotty has a good point that MagPro may be the powder to explore.

Mike is dead on with his advice. I have been recently shooting the 150gr BT as I have a whole lot of them on hand and man, they are very good shooters in my rifle. I have been using RL22 and getting about 3050-3075 out of them with no issues and accuracy is very good. I like the Alliant series of powders, and shoot quite alot of it. I am using 66gr of RL22 with WW Nickel Cases, and CCI250 primers. That is quite alot ahead of the Nosler book, but not with alot of other data out there. Nosler Max of 61 or something will barely get you 2750. I worked up 1 grain at a time.

Magpro was also very accurate with 130gr Interbonds. My next load with probably be a 150gr Partiton and RL22 to start out with. I did have some 130 ETips in my hand today and was tempted, but I put them back! Good luck. If you ask Mike, he can run a Quick Load for your bullet, barrel length, bullet and so on. It will give you a very good idea of what powders should produce out of your rifle. I have found it works very well, and these guys are very helpful when it comes to load development. Scotty

I have a bunch of 130BT also and worked up a load with the RL17 that came out last year. Use the load data from their web site to start. I was getting 3250 with more room I'm sure , no pressure signs. I stopped there with the 130BT.

Teknys":nbqe7fzg said:
I have a bunch of 130BT also and worked up a load with the RL17 that came out last year. Use the load data from their web site to start. I was getting 3250 with more room I'm sure , no pressure signs. I stopped there with the 130BT.

I'm glad someone else is using R-17. I'm using it with 140gr/150gr and the 150gr Partition with 59gr/R-17 gives me 3066fps.

Dr. Mike makes alot of sense with the 140 AB, I think that wil be the next bullet to try as it should work for just about anything I would shoot with this gun. Thanks for all the input, again this site is incredible!

This is my take, for what it's worth.
I use the AccuBond for all my high velocity loads, if available.
I realize that the difference in price is a factor. If I shot enough rounds to make that a significant factor I would probably use the Ballistic Tip for most shooting and the AccuBond for hunting. They are ballistic twins.
My load for the 130 gr. AccuBond is 65 grs. of IMR 4350 with CCI 250 LRM primers and W/W brass. Case length of 2.1" and OAL of 2.860 in a Tikka T3 Lite. Velocity of 3300 fps. The AccuBond will hold up to that velocity.
Good luck in your loading and let us know what you come up with for your rifle.
Greg

had great accuracy with all powders , but with h4831 sc from min. to max charge and from -20* to + 35* temps got same point of aim and 1/4 " groups consistantly. This calibre is fast becoming my favorite .

Back