270 wsm

dezmick

Beginner
Mar 5, 2011
ok now i have been thinking of getting a new rifle to go along with my 7mm wsm, and use it for deer hunting only, i was trying to decide between the 7mm 08 and 270 win, today at work i was talking to a guy about hunting, he happened to mention that his wifes dad who just past away left him several guns one of them being a brand new never been shot Browning X-bolt 270 wsm composite stalker, which is exactly what my 7 is, i know that it is pretty similar to what i already have, but he said that he would sell it to me for $450.00, which is $250.00 less than what i could buy it for brand new, should i take the deal and just get 130 grn bullets and kill deer with it or not?

Seven thousandths of an inch won't make much difference in the ability to slay an animal. However, any excuse for a different cartridge is valid. I have both and they are like twiddle dee and twiddle dum when it comes to killing game.

Mike could not have said it any better.
Personally I would jump at a chance like that.

Randy

Love my 270WSM! Just got back from South Africa hunting Plainsgame using 150gr Partitions with great success. For deer I usually shoot 140 Accubonds. My GF also shoots a 270WSM that I load with 110 Accubonds for a reduced recoil deer load. Very versatile cartridge!

I haven't shot it yet, but I bought my son a 270WSM in an A-Bolt Micro Hunter as his first rifle. We'll be shooting 100-110gr bullets to start, keeping recoil low, and then move to bigger stuff later on. I shoot 130gr E-Tips at white-tails in my 270Wby, which is just a smidge faster than the WSM. Even though the overlap is significant between the 7mmWSM and the 270WSM, I'd get it, if only because it's a stellar deal. You could always shoot 130gr bullets for white-tails and such from the 270WSM, and then shoot 160gr Accubonds from the 7mmWSM (or even 175gr bullets of stout construction) and have a good deer/elk round. If it were more expensive, I'd be less enthusiastic, but for $450 you're getting a great rifle at a great price, and you won't have any learning curve operationally since you already own the same model rifle in 7mmWSM. Good rifles for great prices are never a wrong decision.

Dubyam said it best. I love my 270WSM. Not alot of difference from your 7WSM, but man, that is a great deal if you like the rifle. I am really content with my 270WSM. It does alot of things, really well. You can shoot the light weight 110's at blistering speeds and the 150's at 3000+. You have alot of variety. If you could choose just one for deer, the 130gr PT or AB would be dynamite on them at 3300+. Can't say enough good about the 270WSM. Scotty

DrMike":9ttvi033 said:
Seven thousandths of an inch won't make much difference in the ability to slay an animal. However, any excuse for a different cartridge is valid. I have both and they are like twiddle dee and twiddle dum when it comes to killing game.

x3....just dont tell my wife !!! :mrgreen:

270WSM with 130 or 140gr AB's (I prefer the 140's in mine) is a sweet setup for sure.

I just got a couple of bags of 140gr AB 2nds. Might give them a whirl for the 270WSM. It absolutely devoured them with Winchester Supreme factory loads. Although, I already have so many good loads for the 270WSM, it is hard to choose which one to use some years! Scotty

Back