28 Nosler case capacity

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I saw a cut away picture of the 175gr ABLR seated at 3.34 on the "fire" and it got my wheels turning so I did a little 8th grade science experiment today. I did a side by side comparison with cut aways. Don't worry I wasn't cutting any brass that was as expensive as gold. Midway had 26 Nosler brass on sale awhile back for $40 and I purchased a pile of it. As they always say a picture is worth a thousand words. This shows seating depth comparison of 3.34" and 3.60".

I also did a water capacity test at both seating depths. The empty case weighed 270gr. At 3.34" the case weighed 359gr(89gr.net) and seated at 3.60" it weighed 364.6gr(95.6gr. net). A 5.6gr of water difference or a little less than 7%. That's about the same % increase I get with my AI cases. I don't have Q/L but I bet that would be about 100FPS difference. I think that running this cartridge with heavy for caliber bullets you'd be better off at 3.60". I'm going to run my 28 Nosler throated for 3.60" or longer.
Scott

Guy Miner":39d0ryqp said:
Interesting indeed. I like long actions. Real long actions! :mrgreen:

Like a Rem 700 and it's looong magazine :lol:

Guy Miner":1iat0sfi said:
Well yeah, but I wasn't going to say that out loud!
Don't be shy Guy. you'll have to get a couple of Winchester barrels and put on them Remingtons so you can call them Remchesters. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:
Hey I got more Remingtons than Winchester also. (y)

Guy Miner":3gwqdnkv said:
Well yeah, but I wasn't going to say that out loud!

Appreciate the sensitivity, Guy. :wink: That is a good increase in case capacity, Scott. That is always the case for seating the bullet out, but your graphic representation really illustrates the difference that extra length provides.

Bingo, I was thinking the same thing when they said it was a 3.34" cartridge. Those long 168's and 175's are going to suffer a little. The case has the space, but there is almost 0 room to move the bullet to tune for accuracy..

Don't worry, those old Winchesters will easily be adapted for 3.6" boxes.. We lose out a little to the Remington, but I'll take em! 8)

Great pictures Scott.

Back