280 AI custom ammunition

rpowell

Beginner
Apr 12, 2006
is 280AI custom ammunition available yet? i know the brass is, but i do not see the custom ammunition yet. i was told by someone that nosler is already making the custom ammunition. if this is not true, does anyone know when the ammunition would be available?

The ammunition is being produced in house for the custom rifles, but it will not be released for retail sale until SAAMI gives it the final approval.

Nosler3":349uu3as said:
The ammunition is being produced in house for the custom rifles, but it will not be released for retail sale until SAAMI gives it the final approval.

Any timing on when you will get the blessing from SAAMI?

JD338

From what I have gathered, SAAMI will be reconvening this fall. I would assume September or so. We should have the final stamp of approval then.

Any updates? When SAMMI does give the approval, how long would it be before ammo was available for purchase?

Thanks,

Joe.

I'll try to get an answer from Nosler on the status of the SAAMI approval for the 280 AI.

JD338

The SAAMI approval for the 280 AI will be in about two weeks.
More details to follow when they become available.

JD338

JD338":2vr06wer said:

JD338

That is very good news. I'll keep checking back for more information.

Thanks for the status report.

Joe

JD338":3q77oy4b said:

That is great news...please keep us informed!

As an aside...can anyone confirm whether this ammunition is compatable with Kenny Jarrett's .280 AI chambered guns? (Or have some liberties been taken with the dimensions on Kenny's or Nosler's part that differ from the classic .280 AI dimensions?)

JC

The 280 Ackley Improved case has a 40 degree shoulder.

Nosler is waiting on SAAMI to give the final blessing. Once this is done, it will be offically released.

JD338

rick smith":1kajtyvr said:
JRH, there are no classic dimensions for the 280AI.

Rick,

I believe in most circles it is accepted that the 40 degree shoulder is standard. My question was really a two part question, 1st I wanted to confirm that new ammo was going to be 40 degree, and second I wanted to confirm that the Jarrett dimensions were the same. (I know the Nosler brass chambers flawlessly in the Jarrett guns)

JC

I currently load for three different 280AIs. One built by Jarrett's shop and two built by Carolina Precision Rifles. The Nosler brass works in all three but it will be after deer season before the loads will be worked up.Rick.

JRH,

The Nosler 280AI is a 40 degree shoulder. There is no standard since this is a wildcat cartridge but Nosler will have the standard once SAAMI gives them the approval. At that point, you can make comparisons to the Jarrett. You may or may not find that there are some minor dimensional differences.

JD338

JD338":vv0vz66f said:
you can make comparisons to the Jarrett. You may or may not find that there are some minor dimensional differences.

JD338

JD,

Thanks for the info...I just spent about a half an hour with a micrometer comparing .280 AI custom loaded Jarrett ammo with Nosler brass. While I did find some minor differences, in general they seemed so small that I am not certain the differences would be meaningful without also taking into account the tollerences of the firearm through which they were being fired.

JRH

Any idea if these were the dimensions submitted to SAMMI?

GAgar0806_020107B.jpg

JRH,

No idea what Nosler submitted to SAAMI. I would think what ever they have listed in RG #5 is what the went with.

JD338

JD,

The specs above were published in 2006 courtesy of Nosler. So I suspect those may have been the numbers submitted...

JRH

JRH,

I agree with you.
I hope Nosler will chime in on this soon, the suspense is killing me!

What are you loading in your 280AI? I'm using 60.0 grs RL22 in the Nosler case with a 160 gr AB and a Federal GM215M primer.
My best group measures .092" center to center.

JD338

Back