280 AI Load Work/Target

Dwh7271

Handloader
Nov 18, 2013
Shot these this evening.
It repeated 3 times, each getting better. I figure new barrel that must be a good sign. :grin:
Load is 64 gr MRP, CCI 200 LR, Nosler brass, 150 gr Partition, COAL 3.205, Shooting Chrony said 3016, 3024, 3020
Rifle is a Savage build with a 23.5" barrel

image_zps7bd2bb70.jpg

image_zps781ce6d6.jpg

image_zps5d0254e2.jpg

Any issues can be laid to blame on the shooter.
I think this load will work?

Nice group!

Although your math is going to take some criticism as to the group size.

You want to measure the outside edge to the outside edge of the holes furthest apart, then subtract your bullet diameter to give you your actual spread.

But regardless, it is still a very nice group, and a load with the ballistics to be able to perform admirably on just about any large game you will want to hunt in North America.

Enjoy, and may the hunting gods bless you with many successful hunts in the future with this rifle!

Nice shooting Dewey.
My 280 AI loves RL 22 with 140 gr, 150 gr and 160 gr bullets.
The 150 gr PT is a fantastic bullet for both accuracy and performance.
Here is what I'm getting with 61.0 grs RL 22 and the 150 gr PT in R-P cases and a Federal GM215M primer.
022.jpg

JD338

Excellent group there!

I am hoping to have something similar to shot from 140 TSXs & 145 Speer BTSPs w/ RL-22 this week!

Is there an advantage of MRP over RL-22? I am not familiar w/ the latter at all; not even sure if we have it around here? Where do you get it?

I'm pretty sure I bought the last 4 lbs. of MRP in the country (at least that was available online)...

Is there a difference? I don't know yet...but I hope so.

Won't have the rifle to shoot it in until at least October...

MRP is distributed here in the US through Western Powders (Accurate, Ramshot)...it is available from time to time...just be keep an eye out and be ready to buy it when its there...which is true for most any powder right now.

Wideners has had MRP pretty consistently.

All I hear is MRP is supposed to have tighter lot to lot variations than 22. Only shot it out of my 7mm Rem Mag so far. Speed and accuracy are very good though.

Dewey,

If the MRP doesn't work out try 58.0-58.5 grains of IMR-4831 with the 150 Nosler BT. My Jarrett 280 AI has always shot this combo very well (1/4"-3/8") with various lots of powders in the past fifteen years. If memory serves me well it's in the 3050-3150 range? I used Remington brass and the F210M primer.

I check my notes and the range was more like 3,000-3,100 fps depending on OAL w/the 150 NBT.

Thanks Cole.
On the MRP, Cabelas carries it now. Scotty hit the reason I'm trying it, the variations from lot to lot. So far, it's worked in the 257 Wby, 7 Mag and this.

Back