30-06 Sprg. load work

longrangehunter

Handloader
Jun 19, 2011
So I have a old friend whom I've developed a load before in his 8mm Remington Mag. a few years ago.
Well he bought a new gun, a Savage Model 111 in 30-06 Sprg. it has a 22" bbl. It wears a cheap Nikon 3-9 BDC scope in rings and bases I wouldn't even look to install, but I was ask for his help which I did kindly offer.

Took 12 rounds to find what might work, had I stuck to my first thought to use the H414 I had on hand, and not the RL-22 I may have done it in less rounds down the barrel. We did test fire the gun yesterday with some factory Remington, and Fusion ammo, both in 150 gr. The gun seemed to like the Fusion ammo better, but we only fired 10 rounds through it yesterday after cleaning it a few times.

These were with Sierra 180 gr. SPBT Game Kings, except the first round I used a Hornady 165 IB for some stupid reason I have no Idea, Oh, just to fireform 3 pieces of brass since I only had 60 pieces of the 180 SGK's on hand.

The final tune is at 3 O'Clock. It consists of a Sierra 180 gr. Game King behind 54.5 H414 Rem. 9 1/2 primer in new Winchester Brass @ 2.6650" Ogive length = 3.2575" COAL .020" off the lands.

Note: I've always hated Remington primers because I seem to find as little as I use them I find they won't work! i.e. won't ignite.... once again a dud! 1 out of 12 is not a good sign!

Attachments

• P1050388.jpg
    P1050388.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 761
I hate the misfortune of the dud, but it looks like you found a load.

Try CCI 209s, 56gr I4350, and that 180gr Sierra. If it won't shoot that then try CCI209s, 57gr I430 with a 165gr bullet. If it won't shoot those then sell the rifle.

EastTNHunter":3vx1085l said:
I hate the misfortune of the dud, but it looks like you found a load.

Try CCI 209s, 56gr I4350, and that 180gr Sierra. If it won't shoot that then try CCI209s, 57gr I430 with a 165gr bullet. If it won't shoot those then sell the rifle.
I was doing this for free! Bullets, primers, and the powder....... I have F210M, and CCI-BR2's but I wasn't giving those away for free, and hence why I used the Remington's!

It's not my rifle either!

That group at 3 O'clock looks real nice and tight. Sierras have usually shot very well for me. If the desired muzzle velocity is there... I'd be tempted to try one or two more groups with that same load, and if all remains well...

Load up 50 or 100 of 'em and call it good!

Guy

Guy Miner":2dgzdflp said:
That group at 3 O'clock looks real nice and tight. Sierras have usually shot very well for me. If the desired muzzle velocity is there... I'd be tempted to try one or two more groups with that same load, and if all remains well...

Load up 50 or 100 of 'em and call it good!

Guy
That's what I plan on doing Guy! :grin: I was thinking of your lack there of H4350 for your '06 when I pulled this out of thin air! Speaking of which the smoke was so bad here today I didn't even pull out the Ohler P35 since I doubt even with two screens it would have seen the bullets go across it!

So I won't know that until later, but honestly I don't think it will matter to the owner of the gun. The difference between 25-50 or 100 fps is that in feet. Nil to me in reality, I've killed Moose with a 180 gr Hornady Interlock out of a 300 WM that was going the same speed a 30-06! :mrgreen:

"Try CCI 209s, 56gr I4350, and that 180gr Sierra. If it won't shoot that then try CCI209s, 57gr I430 with a 165gr bullet. If it won't shoot those then sell the rifle."

I think you meant to say CCI 200. CCI 209 is a shot gun primer.

1Shot":fg8a20j1 said:
"Try CCI 209s, 56gr I4350, and that 180gr Sierra. If it won't shoot that then try CCI209s, 57gr I430 with a 165gr bullet. If it won't shoot those then sell the rifle."

I think you meant to say CCI 200. CCI 209 is a shot gun primer.

Yup, you're right :oops: ... I even find myself writing it down that way at the reloading bench from time to time. Something about how my simple brain works. At least I didn't have to worry about someone misreading it and using it... that would take a little bit of primer pocket work :lol:

So I'm going to retest the load and shoot it over my Oehler if the smoke clears enough? I'm also going to try Rem. 9 1/2 M, and WLRM primers with this powder to see if it tightens up the group?

The little Savage Model 111 shoots really well for a factory, first time I've ever shot one!

Back