Loving the 7mm WSM - 322 Yard Heart Shot

Beautiful buck Dan congratulations. Still love the look of the LH M70!

My love affair with the 7mm WSM is growing stronger. Yesterday I shot at a doe at 322 yards and hit her in the heart. She snowplowed in a tight circle for about 15 yards before expiring. It was pretty impressive.

I was surprised at the devastation from the 150 gr. ABLR at that distance. It broke the leg bone on the entrance side, blew up the heart and exited through the leg on the far side. There was about a 2-1/2" hole in the rib cage on the entrance side. The extent of the damage wasn't evident until I skinned the deer. I would estimate the damage being equivalent to a 150 gr. BT fired from a 7mm RM at under 100 yards. The heart was literally in pieces. The largest piece was about 1/2 of the heart and it was shredded.

I am 2 for 2 with the 7mm WSM and both deer kills were dramatic - the first being a DRT without a twitch. It will really reach out there and kick butt.

Dan

Congratulations Dan. The 150 ABLR is my go to bullet for the 280 AI. I've taken many deer with this bullet and they have all dropped in their tracks. It's a light switch for deer.

JD338

The 7WSM was on my bucket list for a long time but one never turned up. And you found a 7wsm is a Model 70? How did you manage that?
Winchester did make some LH Model 70's in the WSM's prior to shutting down.
What I have been trying to find out is if FN made any in South Carolina before they moved production to Portugal?
Would love one, as all of the rifles built there came with very nice wood, and the fit and finish on them were excellent. Almost all of the reports on their accuracy was very positive too. The wood on the ones (non Super Grade) from Portugal just hasn't been of the same grade, that I have seen. A couple of the SC Super Grades I have seen would make most men drool! Almost bought one even though it was right handed!

My love affair with the 7mm WSM is growing stronger. Yesterday I shot at a doe at 322 yards and hit her in the heart. She snowplowed in a tight circle for about 15 yards before expiring. It was pretty impressive.

I was surprised at the devastation from the 150 gr. ABLR at that distance. It broke the leg bone on the entrance side, blew up the heart and exited through the leg on the far side. There was about a 2-1/2" hole in the rib cage on the entrance side. The extent of the damage wasn't evident until I skinned the deer. I would estimate the damage being equivalent to a 150 gr. BT fired from a 7mm RM at under 100 yards. The heart was literally in pieces. The largest piece was about 1/2 of the heart and it was shredded.

I am 2 for 2 with the 7mm WSM and both deer kills were dramatic - the first being a DRT without a twitch. It will really reach out there and kick butt.

Dan
I need to test my .300 WSM I have some loaded 200 grain Norma Oryx that should do a good job. The 156 grain Norma Oryx bullet has gotten me 3 deer with my 7MM Mag two were heart shots as well both looked like soup.

My son's 2006 era laminated M70 Coyote shoots really well also, and is easy to load for. We did replace the cheezy soft rear tang bedding material. Now it is his totally reliable, shoot anything backup rifle. Glad to see some renewed interest in the 7 Wizzum!

I’ve got a Sako 75 Deluxe, pronounced Seiko if you’re from Louisiana, in 7MM WSM. It makes more trips to hunt than any of my other rifles, but I’ve not loaded anything that shoots like yours! What a group!

Only thing is, I hope you’ve got a bunch of that Reloder 23. For the longest, the Reloder powders are selling for well over $100 a pound. And now that Vista is selling Alliant to the defense supplier in the Czech Republic, we may never see it again, or maybe it will be on all the shelves at half the price.

I just won’t start any new loads with any Reloder powder because I’m afraid of finding a load that shoots like yours. My 6.5 PRC prefers RL25 and I’m down to about 1 pound left. Luckily, my 7MM WSM and 264WM like Magnum the best.

Hats off to your rifle and that load!

Back