.280 Load Question

markdille,

I think you just nailed it. My gunsmith has told me the same thing.
The 280 AI is a very efficient cartridge. My 280 AI has a tight chamber
and a long throat. My loaded COL is 3.505".
In fact, 280 Rem brass that has been full length resized in a RCBS die will not chamber in the 280 AI.

SOTN,
I have been reloading for 32 years. Experience has taught me that accuracy is far more important than max fps aka pressure.
The loads that I am shooting in my 280 AI were given to me from my gunsmith, who has built many 280AI's. He has loaded even higher powder charges without any pressure problems. I chose to stop where I am because I have more than enough velocity (verified with my Oehler 35) and the accuracy is excellent (sub 1/4 MOA).
When I bought the Nosler 280AI brass, I dropped my load back down and worked up. With my Nosler brass, my load is 1.0 grain less than with the R-P brass.
My loads are safe in my rifle. :grin:

JD338

From Jarrett Rifles Website:

.280 Ackley Improved

120 gr. Nosler Bullet............3340 fps
140 gr. Nosler Bullet............3150 fps
150 gr. Nosler Bullet............2950 fps

If I had to lay my finger on one thing that really brought Jarrett Rifles to the dance it would be the .280 Improved. We have made over 400 rifles in this caliber and probably rebarreled at least that many. For me to say I’ve had more experience with this cartridge than anyone has ever had is a safe bet. After several long discussions with P.O. Ackley I decided that this was a cartridge that I wanted to work with. Even though Mr. Ackley would not take credit for its creation, it bears all the markings of Ackleys work. He did a 7mm-06 version which is slightly shorter and has a little less capacity than the .280 version. Mr. Ackley was very complimentary of the .280 Improved. He once told me that he felt its capacity bore about the maximum usable powder capacity for 7mm. Ackley had a lot of influence on me in the earlier days and out of respect for his help, most of my .280 Imp. rifles still bear his name. Several things make the .280 Improved such a wonderful cartridge. One is factory ammo can be used in the improved chamber, second, brass life is good, and third, versatility of use created by its high degree of accuracy with bullet weights ranging from 120gr. To 160gr. One can see that there is very little difference if any between the magnum 7mm’s and the .280 Improved. Mr. Ackley had a strong opinion that a belted case was not needed in 7mm. Below are average velocities for the .280 Improved and I say average because rifles are individuals. In fact, the tight bore barrels dimensionally speaking produces the best accuracy but not the best velocity.

On the light bullet end, you have a set up that will beat a 25-06 all to pieces. Conversely speaking the heavy end bullets will out do a 30-06 velocity wise. Because of the higher ballistic co-efficient of the 160 gr. 7mm bullets, compared to the 160gr. 30 caliber bullet, it will retain its down range velocity better.

If you only want one custom rifle, then the versatility should be your prime consideration. The .280 Improved has that. Totally adequate on small African game or Antelope with the 120's. Perfect for larger deer with the 140's and a real elk and moose buster with the 160's. Also, the bullet selection is tremendous on 7mm. The .280 Improved has been our best seller for 8 years. Unless you are really recoil shy, a muzzle brake is not necessary on a .280 Improved. We have continued to sell them through the years because they work extremely well. I did alter the throat angle where they would really “stick ‘um in there.” We made them work and shoot and still do. Thousands upon thousands of animals have been taken world wide with the Jarrett Rifle in .280 Imp. That many dead animals couldn’t be wrong. For more information on the .280 Improved please see it in the Nosler No.4 reloading manual.

My Input:
I currently shoot 280's and 7 Wby's. I like the character of the 280 and have three of them. My motto: Never ever, no not never give up a 280 !!
The AI's are great, I had one. I took my biggest W.T. buck ever this year with my Encore rifle in 280 Remington. Distance was 180 yds & I stung him with a factory Rem Exp 150 gr Core Lokt. I guess you could say I entrusted the one and only shot I was going to get at a lifetime trophy to a single shot rifle in 280. He was a 14 pointer & scored 160 Boone & Crockett, was a free ranging animal (no high fence) & is now hanging on my wall and I doubt the 7 Wby would have had any better results.

JD338,

Should I assume you have a .338 as well? I have matching left-handed A-Bolts, one in .280 and the other in .338. Including my Savage Model '99 in .243 that I shot my first deer with when I was 10, these are the only big game rifles I have. I'd love to collect more. Unfortunately, I have another even more expensive hobby called "fishing". No matter, I can cover everything with my two A-Bolts unless I'm in Africa.

I know a lot of people like to tinker with loads as I used to as well. However, for hunting, I'm a firm believer in the "one load" concept. For ALL big game at ANY range that is both within my capability and the bullet's capability to properly expand and penetrate. Here's my criteria:

1. I don't want anything slinging out of the muzzle over 3000 fps. If it's going that fast, either two things will happen. A) I will use a heavier bullet, or B) if I can't use a heavier bullet because I'm already at the maximum weight, then I'm using a caliber I don't want to be anwhere near (i.e. .300 RUM with 200gr at 3100 fps). I'd rather go up in caliber if that's the case (i.e. my .338).

2. Anything starting out at 2700 fps or more is sufficient for all long range shooting (thanks in large part to range finders), assuming some critical elements of course. Those elements being that the bullet must be able to penetrate and expand properly at the striking velocity in the type of game that it is shot at. I don't care what it's energy is. "Energy" means absolutely nothing.

3. The rifle must be accurate with the bullet being utilized. I will hunt with an accurate .35 Whelen any day out west for the little Cous deer over an inaccurate .257 Weatherby. It keeps the control in my hands. I can calculate wind drift and elevation drop, with inaccuracy, the odds are left to Vegas.

4. The bullet must expand on soft tissue, broadside shots at long range, and at the same time hold together on shoulder shots at close range. That is a big shoe to fill, and only a super premium bullet is going to do that, the Nosler Partition being the benchmark standard, but not nearly my favorite as of late. I would tend to think the new Barnes MRX is just what I've been looking for.

5. The bullet has to have a good ballistic coefficient. There are all the typical reasons why this is advantageous, but to me the most important factor is maintaining the ability to expand at long range. That is the most critical element. Wind drift and drop can be calculated, and therefore, controlled, even with a round nose. However, a bullet that doesn't expand at long range, but was properly placed by the hunter, takes the control back away from the hunter.

My intentions for hunting loads, when I carefully look at all the reloading equipment available today and burn a few dollars getting back into the sport are these:

.280 Remington, 160gr MRX, target 2800-2900 fps
.338 Winchester, .225gr MRX, target 2800-2900 fps

Same rifle, same velocity, and most likely, pretty darn similar ballistic coefficients (none are published for either bullet yet). Sounds like they'll shoot the same, save for the .338's extra weight up front in the longer barrel and it's Clidesdale-like shove on the shoulder. I should only have to remember one range and wind drift calculation. Both shoot .5" 3-shot groups with factory ammo, so my expectations are quite high in that area. With either set up, I should be able to shoot at any game animal that is appropriate for the caliber and range, and as long as I do my part correctly, it should drop in fairly close proximity to where it was hit.

markdille,

I shoot a 338 RUM aka Hammer of Thor.

JD338

JD338,
I almost forgot, I was going to comment on one of the things you said. I totally agree with you on accuracy first, then optimum velocity second. As you can tell from my preferences, I'm a middle-of-the-road freak. I don't necessarily want hyper velocity, but I do want a decent muzzle velocity to be able to appreciate a flat trajectory and long range bullet expansion. However, I have read more than once recently that the super premium bullets of today have begun a trend towards best accuracy occuring at or near maximum loads. The reason being is that the base and sidewalls are harder and/or built of thicker jacket material (or in some cases a homogenous design, i.e. TSX), and therefore require more of a "kick in the booty" to be able to properly slug the barrel. I can't wait to get back into it and experiment and see where my current rifles which have seen only factory ammo are at. When I left reloading, the original X-Bullet just came out. I may be out of practice, but I have always kept up on the trends during that time.

markdille":166foeqn said:
JD338,
However, I have read more than once recently that the super premium bullets of today have begun a trend towards best accuracy occuring at or near maximum loads. The reason being is that the base and sidewalls are harder and/or built of thicker jacket material (or in some cases a homogenous design, i.e. TSX), and therefore require more of a "kick in the booty" to be able to properly slug the barrel.

The only premium bullets I have ever shot are Nosler bullets but my experience mirrors what you said. Most of my "pet loads" are at or near max according to the Nosler reloading guide.

Couldn't even begin to imagine that thing with the 275gr A-Frame. I bet it would be awesome!

You are correct, 338 RUM w/ a 275 gr Swift A Frame would penetrate into tomorrow. :shock:

JD338

TN deer hunter":t2zuaqol said:
I shot a couple of loads out of my Steyr .280 yesterday with 57gr of Rl-19 which is max load in the Nosler book. I was using 139gr Hornady SST's .020 off the lands, this particular load shot .710" which is great considering this is the time I have ever worked up a load for this rifle. I then shot the load through the chrono and to my disappointment it chronographed at 2,868fps nearly 300fps slower than the published speed which is 3,152fps. The other load was 57.0gr (+1 gr above max)of IMR 4831 and 139 SST's and .020 off the lands also. This load shot .597" but it was also very slow at 2854fps. I love the accuracy but I am very disappointed in the velocity. My question is has anyone else seen this in the .280? I was expecting at least 3,100fps with the RL-19 and 3,000fps with the 4831. BTW my Steyr has a 24" barrel.

Wow, this got off topic in a hurry. I am going to reply to you about your Steyr 280. I actually have a SBS Prohunter(I am assuming that is what yours is as well) in a 270. But that has nothing to do with it. This is basic handloading, imo. This is what I woud do: select your components (powder,primer,etc), then take the starting loads in your manual, and load in increments from your .020" off the lands, down to the recommended OAL. Obviously, observe fps and accuracy. Remember, this rifle guarantees a 1", 3 shot group, with any factory ammunition. Now, obviously factory ammo, will not be .020" off the lands. So, I think if you play with your aol and powder charge weight, you will find a good compromise.

Back