280 Ross /// 275 H & H

Africa Huntress

Handloader
Feb 14, 2012
Dr Mike, Cheyenne, Alaska members

Our family has a friend who is moving back to Alaska from Africa. She uses a 280 Ross, that was given too her from her grandfather before he passed away. She likes the rifle and caliber and currently has no problem finding Woodleigh .287 bullets for her rifle in Africa. Does anyone in the colonies make a .287 for the 280 and 275 ? Does any of our Alaska members know whether or not Alaska bullet works ,makes or can make a .287 bullet for her ?

Best Regards

Jamila

You shouldn't have any issue getting Woodleighs here via mail order from Midway or Huntington's. Alaska Bullet Works doesn't list a .287...but a Ross is just oddball enough that they may take it on as a project. Dan from the Bull Shop loves to get obsolete stuff shooting good using hard cast lead. Seems weird, but his 340gr loads in my .375 Ruger shot great.

Brass might be a harder puzzle to solve but some folks make it out of more readily available brass.

Finding a local shop to make loads shouldn't be a problem- particularly if she has the brass.

DKT makes .287 bullets; I have 140 and 150 grain DKT bullets for my Ross. I use primarily 160 grain Woodleigh bullets, however. Also, Hawk produces a 160 grain .286 bullet for the Ross.

I'd bet it wouldn't be any big deal for Alaska Bullet Works to Swage down some bullets for the 287. Saying that, Woodleighs are pretty danged good as is.

Back