280AI Body Sizing Die

vodekz

Beginner
Dec 10, 2010
I have problem with body sizing with Redding die. I tried different set up deeper more or less.
The rifle bolt closes hard, when the brass is sized with body size die. I can close it with a bit of force. I think it is something wrong with a die fit.
The die it is 40 degrees AI. New Nosler's brass fits great. I wanted to check how works body sizer. I tried to bump shoulders with body die and...... the problem started. Tight fit after body sizing. The brass length is very consistent and I dont see a problem here with brass length. My loads dont show any pressure signs and all load are the book loads. I have been reloading for 3 years for 5 different calibers. My 270 win needed to body size once a while with no problem using Reddings body size die the same for 308 win or 6.5x55 SE and 6.5 Grandel. It looks to me that Redding body die has different size for my new 280 AI?
The die carries 40 degree shoulder name on it. I have purchased new as a set of competition dies. Could it be Reddings problem? Wrong angle? Maybe shorter shell holder needed? I use # 1 size based on Reddings info.
I am sure that some of you reload for 280 AI.
Any help welcome.

Vodek

When you say the brass length is very consistent are you saying OAL or measured to the datum line? OAL is not the problem. I load for several 280AIs and use the same die without a problem. If your rifle was made with a different shoulder, as many were, your problem might be in the chamber. You could send several fired cases with the die to Redding for their evaluation. Or you could tighten the die passed shellholder contact, raise the ram/shellholder, screw the die down to firm contact, lower the ram and screw the die down 1/4 turn anf tighten the lock ring. Then size a case and try it in your chamber.Rick.

The rifle is Nosler 48. 280 AI. I did try to play with a die with no results.
Thank you for info. It looks that I should talk to Redding.
Also I think to try shell holders competition set # 1.

Vodek

Rick, what do you mean? Asking for answer it is not the same as blaming everybody.
This board is made for questions and answers.

What is you problem?

Vodek

Read the posts from 24hr campfire, Nosler, Remington Redding and Saami are being blamed for the posters problem. The problem was that he didn't understand the difference in cases/shoulders. In my first answer to your post, I made mention of different shoulders. Sorry if you took my last post incorrectly. I don't have a problem loading for three different 280AIs and I use both Nosler and fireformed brass. Please reread the 24 hr posts and I think you will see what I am referring to.Rick.

Rick, I read this. These are people's opinions. They have a right to do it.
But, based what you wrote it shows a bit of a problem a body die.
I think you nailed this issue. I have ordered competition shell holder set # 1 from Reddinig. It comes with 5 shell holders with different length. This might help. As soon I get it I will post my results.
On you tube there is a guy who explains this situation and he cuts the die about .002 or more.
It helps with head space. He says nothing about different shell holders, also he works on Thompson TC hand gun. The chamber and head space is the same. 280 AI.

I have noticed that I could not close rifle bolt with force after body sizing, not with new brass.
No problem with Noslers factory ammo.

It looks at least with all info collected from forum members I move forward.

Thanks, for help.

Vodek

The new shellholders should solve your problem. I have the regular and magnum set and have to use them on occassion. In reference to the youtube, I would not cut the die, a FL die is hardened and without a lathe it would be difficult to cut the die concentric. Much easier and less expensive to reduce the shellholder and keep it with the die set.Rick.

Rick, it is the word from Redding and the good one.

My die set from Midway USA purchased last fall has 280 Remington 40 stamped on it.
This makes this die as original wild cat cartridge. This is shorter .014 than SAAMI.
It looks that I need a new body die 280AI 40 degrees angle or new shell holder.

I just got another e mail from Redding and they said to ship my die to them with 5 fired cases and they will replace the die for the current one. It is body die only problem.

Vodek

Woods, another good reading. We got two different chambers 280 AI.
Well at least I know it right now.
I hope it would help anybody who reloads for 280 AI SAAMI or 280 AI Ackley Remington 40 Degree chamber, or wild cat.

As soon I get my body die, I plan to work on my 25 "bad" cases, what I have changed from good to bad with body sizer.
The problem is solved.

Vodek

Just a side note.
I also have a NCR 280ai. Love it by the way. I also have a set of Redding dies (bushing type). I had the same issue as you after sizing brass. I have a rcbs rock chucker press and was using a rcbs shell holder. My bolt would close a little hard for my taste after setting the die to "cam over". I solved my problem by taking a few thousandths off the face of the shell holder. I only use that shell holder for the NCR 280ai. I get sub moa accuracy. BTW I have close to 800 rounds down the tube. Can't seem to get it out of my hands.

I plan to try with different shell holders anyway, but Redding will exchange my body die for the good new one. No vendor for Redding has the new 280 AI SAAMI body size die in stock?
I need to get 5 cases fired form my rifle first. This is an issue since I cant get it done until Sunday.
I dont complain about the rifle and accuracy. I already got good groups with 140 AB, 120 BT and 160 AB. Also with 140 VLD and 168 VLD. I need more details to work out on my load.
Some of the load are under 1/2 inch. This is what I was looking for.

Vodek

Body die marked 280 Akcley V1 works with # 1 shell holder.

V8 it will not work with Nosler rifle.

Sinclair has them in stock, but probably they have no idea about that it is SAAMI version.
I have called them and asked about it.
V1 it is SAAMI, V8 it is original wild cat. It is marked on the die.

Back