.280AI Brass problems?

Monashee

Beginner
Jun 4, 2006
While cycling unfired Nosler brass through my .280AI,I'm finding that the brass is a bit of a crush fit and when it comes out of the chamber it's scratched quite a bit from the shoulder down about a 1/2 inch.What's going on,and should I be seeing my smith about it?Thanks,Monashee

You have a wildcat chamber whose dementions may not necessarily match those of the Nosler brass. Fire form them in your chamber after you have cleaned the chamber very well. The chamber should be very smooth. Are you sure you are not looking at the marks made as the brass hits the side of the barrel/receiver on extraction?Rick.

I expected what your finding to happen when Nosler announced an fireformed cartridge. The thing is that your chamber, if done right, is minus .004" to the nominal on a standard 280 Rem case and who knows what Nosler is making the new 280 AI brass to, what its dimensions are, its tolerances or what is actually being made dimension wise.

I would put that Nosler brass aside and make mine from factory 280 Rem cases.

As to the scratches thats something else. Put a new case in there and just cycle it part way and take it out and look at it for scratches. If there are none send it further til a scratch happens.

Lots of guns scratch brass. I don't like it but if the rifle performs otherwise then ...............

Back