280AI RL26 150 LRAB Range Trip

MAinAR

Handloader
Feb 26, 2015
RL26 looking real promising in the 280AI gun.

Gun is a Dan Glover built gun on Sendero frame all truing action, bolt etc. with 27" Sendero weight Brux 9 twist barrel.

Load
62gr RL 26
Fed 215gm primer
150LRAB at .080 off lands
Nosler 280AI once fired brass

Avg MV 3175 es 15 smooth as butter bolt lift minor primer crater.

200 yard target calm wind at 45 degrees

Man, I'd say you really have something there...

That's danged good speed and with accuracy like that I'd have a hard time not verifying it and hunting.

SJB358":10tax7a6 said:
Man, I'd say you really have something there...

That's danged good speed and with accuracy like that I'd have a hard time not verifying it and hunting.

Yep going in the verifying mode on this load. And check temp velocity swings. Will also test it with Fed 210 primer just to see.

Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Fine riflery and an excellent load. It'll work for about anything you want to shoot.

Very nice. All this .280 AI testing is getting me itchy to get a scope on my darned rifle!! 280 AI that is!

Yeah... Me too... I'll be joining the fray here before long... My rifle is home, I should be there in a week or 2.

Thats a great group, did you by chance shoot it at a 100yds? just curious what your group was like there. Im still workin on mine. Im at 63.5 to 63.8 grains of RL26 with 210 m primers. im getting two in the same hole then the third a half inch just below them.

muzz":23hx9a0x said:
Thats a great group, did you by chance shoot it at a 100yds? just curious what your group was like there. Im still workin on mine. Im at 63.5 to 63.8 grains of RL26 with 210 m primers. im getting two in the same hole then the third a half inch just below them.

No didn't shoot at 100 yds but did shoot first (several groups) with 210 primers and it did not like them at all, 3" groups at 200 were normal. Groups have been consistently under moa with the 215gm primer and same load range.

Primer differences drive me nuts!

I don't get why if a primer can ignite the whole powder column, then how does a magnum primer give you anything more then a slightly greater charge gives you? I mean, as long as you have consistent ignition with standard primers, how is slightly more pressure from a magnum primer helping anything?

NWBlacktail":2zu73rio said:
Primer differences drive me nuts!

I don't get why if a primer can ignite the whole powder column, then how does a magnum primer give you anything more then a slightly greater charge gives you? I mean, as long as you have consistent ignition with standard primers, how is slightly more pressure from a magnum primer helping anything?

I know what you mean. I have a hypothesis that some may rebuff and I understand that.

BUT, with the slower burn rate powders I have seen some anomalies that don't fit in reason.......

i.e. how can a 7LRM be make more velocity using H1000 and 180gr bullet with a Fed 210 or CCI200 primer than with a 215m, 215 or CCI 250. I have seen it over and over. (Now granted it may be more temp sensitive with the standard primer)

Hypothesis goes something like this:

The hotter primer is increasing burn at ignition and shortening time under the curve (using it up quicker) than the standard primer which is delivering less ignition pressure therefore powder burn slower, longer in time, more area under the pressure curve, keeping bullet under pressure longer in time increases velocity.

Never underestimate testing different primers in large volume slow burn powders!

Now cartridge efficiency and powder volumes definitely play a big role in this so testing is the only way.

In faster burn rate powders I have found the differences to be much less, hence my hypothesis.

The 62gr load of RL26 shown in pic above shot with 150LRAB and Fed215GM primer is actually a lot faster MV when shot with the Fed 210, I am sure this load could be just as accurate at the same speed using the Fed 210 put would have to drop powder charge 1 - 1.5 grain......... but this is a 27" tube too, so like you say

Primers drive me nuts!

:mrgreen:

Actually sounds reasonable. There is some physics behind what's going on, but I never hear a good explanation.

I played around with RL-26 in my 280 AI last night with the 150 ABLR. I started at 60.5 Gr and worked up to 62. I'm running WLRM primers, Nosler brass and 3.350".

61 gr gave me a nice .75" triangle group doing about 3040 fps.
both 61.5 and 62 gave me two in the same hole and one about an inch out. I have seen this with this rifle/bullet combo before. I should be able to get things to tighten up by dropping COAL back to 3.335".

I didn't see any pressure signs at all, and still have room in the case to fit some more powder. All four loads had an ES under 25 fps, two were under 15. I'm going to shorten them up a bit and load 62, 62.5 and 63 and see what happens. This could be my new favorite powder for the 280 AI.

That is a most encouraging report, Jake. I'll certainly be looking forward to seeing some RL26 (and RL23--heck, I'll be looking for RL15, RL17, RL19, RL22 and RL25!) here in Canada.

I played with RL-23 with the 150 & 168 ABLR and just like RL-22 I got nothing worth mentioning.

I'm at 63.5 and 63.8 with mine. Showing great potential but I need to shoot it through my chrono to and get some velocities. I'm getting two in the same hole and one just a 1/2" away . I'm taking the blame for that as I can't hold still.

Back