I was a little to "Quick" with Quickload

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
I ran a quick session with QL for my new 6.5x284 Norma using RL26 and 140gn BT. I have 140BT and 142 ABLR. I "thought" I was a couple of grains below max and measured to the lands for the BT, starting about .010" off. The ABLR I couldn't reach with out leaving enough shank in the neck so I ended up at .130" off.

I shot / break barrel in with cleaning. I then went back out with Chrono and different scope. After getting on target at 25 moved out to 80yds and then setup up chrono. Both loads show no signs of pressure. Primers are smooth , no crater - fingernail does not catch it. But when I shot through the chrono - wow. The 142 ABLR was at 3052 avg with 12fps P-P for 6 shots and the 140 BT was 3103 FPS with about 15FPS P-P for 4 shots. This is a Savage 116 FCSS in a 24" barrel. I was thinking this can't be right.

When I got home I re-ran QL and used the 140 Nosler CC HPBT and took measurements for the boat tail and length. Changed the seating depth and OAL. Now the predictions are only 10 fps different AND I am about 0.5gns above max for pressure.

Point is - don't get in a hurry because like any model "Garbage In = Garbage Out"!! I will take the time to use the tool correctly from now on and be a little more precise with my inputs.

That all being said, I'm not sure about those speeds and no physical pressure signs on case or bolt lift. Temp outside was upper 70's and I hunt in 40 degF and below. The ABLR 6 shot group at 80yds, the centers could be covered with a nickle so it has potential for good accuracy. I did put this gun in a Bell and Carlson full aluminum bedded stock and it wears a Swaro Z5 with turret. It is to be my "longer" (400 - 600yd) deer hunting rifle if I can get more practise in and be more confident.

The QL pressure prediction is only 495psi above the Pmax of 59465psi. Because of ease of bolt lift and case inspection - I don't think I'm "tickling the dragons tail."

Well, you're witnessing one of the great truths concerning any mathematical programme. The more precise the parameters you include in the calculation, the more precise the final prediction. Good reminder.

now that you have a few pieces of fired brass check your water capacity , BEFORE you resize . then you can correct this in your quickload .

Back