.284 Ballistic Tip sticking

bourgeois

Beginner
Oct 19, 2005
I cannot get a 140 gr. .284 Bal. Tip bullet to seat in new Win. 7mm-08 brass. More specifically, the bullet sticks in the seater die. I use the RCBS Rock chucker press with RCBS dies. I have never had this happen before. I use motor mica to lube the inside case necks before I size the necks (dented brass).

Any suggestions?

thanks

Look inside the seating stem for any irregularities also check how much the case neck is being sized. If you are not getting enough sizing or if the expander ball is too large, that needs correction. Lubing the case necks with mica before they are sized is not the problem.Rick.

Rick: I removed the seating stem and it looked OK, no burrs or irregularities.
I was able to seat, during the same session, a 140 gr. Partition bullet with the same brass just fine. It seems the ogive of the 140 gr. BalTip fits the inside of the seater stem too tightly, and won't release the bullet on the downstroke of the seating process. I literally had to dig the bullet out of the seater die.

Is there a lube or something that I can pu on the bullets to make them release easier?

Thanks for the reply...

My first suggestion would be to call RCBS and ask them what they think of the situation.

I load 7-08 Remington ammo using 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips with my RCBS dies all the time and never have had a problem. I suspect your bullet seater is not made correctly.

I bet if you send them the seating die with one of those Ballistic Tips stuck in it they will remedy the problem.

I experienced the same thing with my 7-08 dies. RCBS had a new stem on my door step the next day, literally. One thin for sure they take very seriously is Customer Service.

I am going to post the reply I got from RCBS when I inquired about remedies:

CUSTOM SEATER PLUGS

RCBS realizes that one plug can not be made to fit all the different profile of bullets available. For this reason, the Special Order shop will custom build a plug to fit the profile of the bullet you wish to use.

RCBS will require 3 sample bullets, the diameter of the seater stem in the die you are having the plug made for and the caliber. RCBS makes seater plugs in 1/4x 28 and 1/2x 20. Without this information, the Custom Shop can not start the plug, which will delay the order.

The cost for the custom plug is $13.95 plus $4.00 s/h.
Please include your name, address, and telephone number. Also, include a MasterCard, Visa or American Express, with the expiration date and security code on the back of the card. You can send in a check or money order if you prefer but please do not send cash. Send the sample bullets to: RCBS, 605 Oro Dam Blvd., Oroville, CA 95965. The process will take approximately 2 to 4 weeks to complete.

Wow,

I would be bummed. Sounds like they do not understand. Really shouldn't be that big of a deal. If you have other dies maybe you could try a 30 caliber stem?

Back