.30-06 168 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip favorite loads?

"I love the accuracy Ballistic Tips provide but pushing them at that speed could give some issues with fragmentation, maybe, depending on the shot."

Try the AccuBond in the same weight. From the 165 gr. I used this last January on a cow elk they work just fine. Didn't have time to work up to a top load but the elk didn't care. My hunting partner normally uses a 7MM Rem. Mag, with the 160 gr. AccuBond at a bit over 3000 FPS and the several dead elk and recovered bullet from the 300 plus yard shots showed excellent bullet performance. What little use I've given them has shown accuracy on a par with the Ballistic Tips.
Paul B.

Guy,
The 165 is a good bullet weight and has performed well for me. I want to jump up to 180's to
reduce meat damage compared to the current 165 BT I shoot in my 30-06.

Some years ago I shot 180 Hornady spire points and as I recall, even encountering bone it wasn't anything like I witnessed this past year with the 165 BT.

I believe the 180 Partition will provide good expansion and a gain in energy too.

I'm going to give H-4350 and RL-22 a try in load development.

Don

DON":2gtjua2x said:
Guy,
The 165 is a good bullet weight and has performed well for me. I want to jump up to 180's to
reduce meat damage compared to the current 165 BT I shoot in my 30-06.

Some years ago I shot 180 Hornady spire points and as I recall, even encountering bone it wasn't anything like I witnessed this past year with the 165 BT.

I believe the 180 Partition will provide good expansion and a gain in energy too.

I'm going to give H-4350 and RL-22 a try in load development.

Don

Completely understand. First time I used the 180 gr Nosler Partition was likely about 1985, and wow - it did just fine... Might not kill quite as fast as the more frangible Ballistic Tip, but it will punch through, no doubt. Kills plenty fast enough. That soft front-end expands readily.

Also - I was totally hooked on H4350 for the .30-06, and it's still my primary choice, but dang... the 180's did really well with Hunter... And RL-22... When I was messing around, tinkering with loads.

Guy

I'm really curious to see how the 165 Grain BT shoots in my 30-06. I'll likely try to work up a load in my new Nosler rifle when I get it but I'm wanting to try it in my 22" 30-06 as well.
I'm taking the 22" to Newfoundland as I already have a Barnes 180 Grain TTSX load worked up for it and it's a half MOA rifle.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back