30-06 and 165gn Nosler BT @ 406 yds vs Doe

brikwhitt

Beginner
Oct 9, 2016
Yep despite what you heard. 30-06 and a 165gn BT still equals bad medicine at 406 yds. Thats what I told my buddy sitting in a stand with a 300 Win mag.

Some ppl think 30-06 bounces right off deer if you shoot at them over 200 yards.

063536592fb4e8939b6d71b6213cf305.jpg

Shot her at 406 out of that stand. Dropped where she stood. Lungs looked like soup. Bullet still inside deer.

eee886eb6e20dc4de337cc4b2fd1f8a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Pretty much the experience of most any rifleman with the '06 and a 165 grain bullet. Congratulations on some fine table fare. Still a great cartridge.

Indeed. Not as impressive as the Buck I killed yesterday, but eats pretty good.

Nicely done! I once recommended the old '06 to a guy looking for an all around rifle. He told me it had too much of a rainbow trajectory for him. Isn't there supposed to be treasure at the end of a rainbow???

Thanks guys...was a lot of fun even if it was a Doe.

One of the Guys back at the club house asked. "What? Did you load those cases hot?"

58gn of H4350, thats it, Muzzle velocity 2880 nothing smoking hot about that. Put the pill where it does the most good, and they usually perform just fine.

I did have my good friend and hunting buddy rethinking the whole flinch inducing 300 win experiment. One day I'll convince him accuracy starts with a rifle you can comfortably shoot.

Great Job and some fine eating. I've used a 30-06 for years and at one time was the only center fire big game rifle I owned, killed a lot of deer with it doing crop damage work, nice pictures also.
If you want to have some fun find a used 30-06 with a 24" barrel and send the barreled action off to JES and have him bore it for .358 12" twist and chamber it for the 35 Whelen Ackely Improved.
Same rainbow trajectory as the 30-06 but with a heavier and bigger bullet, 200gr over 2900fps and a 225gr at 2800fps but don't expect to find the bullet still in the deer even when smashing thru bone. I haven't tried any 180gr bullets in it but they would probably exceed 3000fps. A little more recoil than the 30-06 but very manageable with a good recoil pad even off a bench.
Wish I had some place to shoot where I could stretch mine out to see what it will do over 100yds.
Yeah I'm a certified Whelen Ackely Nut :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: (y) :mrgreen:

Great shot! I can testify to what a 30-06 can do with the 165gr. BT. I've killed my share of deer with H-4350 behind the 165 gr. BT.
Billy

I've always had a 30-06 of some flavor over the years since I was a teen. The thing I love the most about the 30-06?

Well when I knock one down way out there, and we have it hanging in the skinning shed and everyone listening to the story about your hunt. Inevitably some one will ask "watcha kill it with?"

You always get blank stares from one or two. You can see them processing what you just said in their heads because ppl have always associated the 30-06 as the best brush gun there is.

Those of us whom shoot it regularly for years know better.

truck driver":12ce81dj said:
Great Job and some fine eating. I've used a 30-06 for years and at one time was the only center fire big game rifle I owned, killed a lot of deer with it doing crop damage work, nice pictures also.
If you want to have some fun find a used 30-06 with a 24" barrel and send the barreled action off to JES and have him bore it for .358 12" twist and chamber it for the 35 Whelen Ackely Improved.
Same rainbow trajectory as the 30-06 but with a heavier and bigger bullet, 200gr over 2900fps and a 225gr at 2800fps but don't expect to find the bullet still in the deer even when smashing thru bone. I haven't tried any 180gr bullets in it but they would probably exceed 3000fps. A little more recoil than the 30-06 but very manageable with a good recoil pad even off a bench.
Wish I had some place to shoot where I could stretch mine out to see what it will do over 100yds.
Yeah I'm a certified Whelen Ackely Nut :roll: [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] (y) :mrgreen:
I will probably be minuse one house and a car, paying alimony to boot if I have another rifle built. This 30-06 is a simi custom, and I'm currently waiting on another full blown custom in a 280 Ackley Imp to be delivered. Spared no expense on the 280 to the tune of about 6000 if you count the nightforce atacr 5-25x56 scope. I like pushing my luck, but when it comes to the Mrs, you dont push it to much.

brikwhitt":18ds9rrz said:
I've always had a 30-06 of some flavor over the years since I was a teen. The thing I love the most about the 30-06?

Well when I knock one down way out there, and we have it hanging in the skinning shed and everyone listening to the story about your hunt. Inevitably some one will ask "watcha kill it with?"

You always get blank stares from one or two. You can see them processing what you just said in their heads because ppl have always associated the 30-06 as the best brush gun there is.

Those of us whom shoot it regularly for years know better.

Yes! A lot of people think it's little more than a pumped up .30-30 or some such nonsense. The ol' .30-06 has done a lot of 200-1,000 yard match shooting, and an awful lot of big game hunting, not just in North America, but all over the world. For over 100 years now... Aside from being the primary rifle of the winning side in a couple of world wars and an awful lot of smaller affairs. Ya, it's one heck of a cartridge.

Regards, Guy

Nice work. I think we are seeing a return by many hunters to the "boring, old .30-06." It just plain works. If any of you have the chance, grab Hodgdon's 2016 Annual Reloading Manual. Inside is an article by John Barsness (one of our best gun writers IMHO) about the exceptional combination of accuracy and power found in the combination of a .30-06 with 165 grain bullets on top of 4350 (H or IMR) powder. It is a great article!

I love the .30-06. Having shot many of them as a teen I bought my first from the used rack at our local hardware store when I was 18. I've owned several magnums .27-.33 caliber and a few .270s but they have all went down the road while that .30-06 has remained. I have also owned an Enfield 1917 Sporter and a Winchester 670 that were both great rifles thus chambered. My best friend took his first mule deer buck at about 200 yards in October of this year with his Enfield .30-06 Sporter and a Sierra Gameking.

A doe is some of the best eating a man could ask for. Were it not for my Mother's green thumb and my Father's dead eye, I wouldn't be here today. We ate a lot of venison growing up.

Thanks for sharing and keep on shooting that .30-06!!!

Dale

I get tickled at the magnum crowd. I see so many going with a magnum because they claim to have shot a deer with a less "powerful" rifle and it ran off and they lost it. I have been on some of those hunts for those so called deer they shot which usually there is no blood found BECAUSE THEY MISSED. Others were poor shots usually gut shots or a hit in a lower part of a leg. I have taken a lot of game with the old 06 and done some eye popping long range shooting with it. I once blew a mans mind hitting a five gallon bucket multiple times at 900 yards shooting prone with a sling with my M1 Garand with open sights. My first high power rifle was a unissued 1903A3 Springfield that at the age of 12 I worked all summer to earn the $40 to purchase it. I could kill ground hogs, rabbits, crows, wild dogs that ran in a pack and killed neighbors calves etc. at 200 to 500 yards on a regular basis with it's open sights. When you learn to shoot and learn your rifle it separates the men from the boys. Good shot you made and I hope you enjoy the meat.

My advice to anyone in the anythinh but an 06 crowd? Pick one up and spenf some time with it. You'll be amazed at what you can do with it. You'll be auprised by the lethality of it on Deer size game.

Back