30 06 and ramshot hunter powder

Guy Miner":35rdhepb said:
Just for something to do - a couple of years ago I started messing with Hunter and 185 gr Berger VLD bullets for a longish range .30-06 mule deer load. It showed promise, and I think I'll tinker with it some more. Maybe try the magnum primers for a change. Possibly use a Wilson bullet seater this time and Nosler brass..

Not sure it will do anything my proven loads will do, but now and again, particularly in winter, I do like to play around with loads.

Guy

I used a stiff charge to do a seating depth test with a Vanguard Back Country .30-06 and 185 VLD Hunting bullets. Amazing what a few hundredths will do.

image_zps6yun8mx4.jpeg

A little longer...

image_zpsabbe5vik.jpeg

A little longer...I think I'll keep this one.

image_zpsgk3jcug0.jpeg

P

gerry":3r631bdx said:
What are the speeds you guys are getting out of Hunter in your 30-06's? There finally is some available here in Canada so I may get another 30-06 again.

22 7/16" barrel, 59 grains, 180 Partition gets me 2825 fps or so. I named it "Hammer."

P

That's impressive, 2800-2850 fps safely would make me happy. A load like that could make me forget about a 30 calibre magnum especially with a bullet like the 190 gr ABLR. Honestly I would be happy with any of Nosler's hunting bullets around 180-200 gr. The Swift Scirocco would also be a good bullet to try. I could see a lefty stainless Tikka T3x in my future......... ;)

Can Hunter push a Nosler 200PT faster than R22 I wonder? I've always been able to find a good shooting load with the R22/200 combo in every 30-06 I've tried it in. Velocity varied with the rifles, of course, from 2575 to 2650. Plenty fast for that puppy, but if Hunter could get it faster, hey, I'll try it!

RL17 will get you a little more speed than RL22 in the '06 IME

My Steyr is getting 2725 fps consistent with the 200 gr AB, the RL22 would only get 2675 fps. I backed down to the 2725 fps from a little higher for safety and accuracy but did not get to any pressure signs even at the higher loads.

All primer pockets holding tight and not hard bolt lifts

Sweet brother Woods! Mind sharing your load? I've always used the 200 Partition. BTW I was born and raised over in Liberty co...used to work in the oilfields until I left for Bible School in '87! I used to know 'almost" every pig trail from Freer to Baton Rouge, ha! Well, I "may" be stretching that a bit...but I sure miss the BBQ and the seafood!

Hey preacher, I knew a few boys from the baygalls and swamps over Liberty way. They hunted hogs with dogs and long knives they called "stickers"! Salt of the Earth but you didn't want to get on the wrong side of them!

Work up to it

300yd_zps51f89561.jpg

It's a hammer

Back