30-06 Field Work

Kick buttocks! Nice to see an old veteran like the 30-06 do it's work

I've used the 165 gr. Speer Hot Cores from a .308 and only recovered one bullet. That was from a deer shot at 250 yards with the bullet passing almost all the way though the deer. I've only shot one animal with the 165 gr. AccuBond, a cow elk that dressed out ay 375 pounds. Bullet hit at the short ribs literally jellied the left lung and was never recovered. Either it passed clear through, although we found no sign of that or it was lost in the mess that used to be the left lung. At impact the elk ran roughly thirty yards an expired.
Paul B.

Great report with a lot of valuable data.

JD338

Good report!

Yep... there ain't much out there that kills deer like a Ballistic Tip.

I've known probably 100 or so deer that could attest to that... if they were alive.

A good 90 of them never took a step after a high shoulder shot... and of the few that didn't drop like a rock none made it more than 50 yards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the Hornady bullets you listed. I used 165 grain Game kings in 308 with great success. I am not employed by the industry.
I shot a 180 pound doe using 165 GMX and 55.0 grains of Imr 4350. My 30/06 Springfield did the job. My deer did not go over 15 yards, after a heart and lung shot at 150 meters. I do not consider the GMX a long range bullet, but within 300 yards you should be alright. Nosler, Barnes, and Hornady make copper/ monolithic bullets.
Please keep in mind that copper/monolithic bullets are longer than traditional cup and core bullets. In 308, Hornady suggests an
OAL: of 2.75
In 30/06 Hornady suggests an
OAL of 3.210
In 30/30 the 140 grain monoflex suggested OAL is
If you notice, the overall lengths are approximately .50 off of SAMI. I also used the latter test for monolithic/ copper bullets. If your rifle likes them you will not be dissapointed.
You may also want to know whether this cartridrige overall lenght will work in your rifle.
Respectfully,
Doni

Back