30-06 Nosler 180 Partitions, H4350 or Reloder 22

I use IMR4350 in my 30-06 with 165 gr. bullets. It is extremely accurate. Sorry but I have not loaded a 180 gr. bullet in any 30-06 I have owned. I like the performance of the 165 so much that I have never tried anything else. If she aint broke then don't fix it!

I think the H4350 or IMR4350 would be two excellent powders to try. As would H4831SC.

Just throwing this out there, but H414 gave me excellent results in my 30-06 using 180ABs. The load is 55.5gns, Fed 210M primers, Nosler brass, COL of 3.39".

.. Since the good group that I had on Tuesday I have returned to the range and fired 4 groups with the same load and have yet to get better than 1.3+" groups. The group of Tuesday had to be compensating errors. My frustration has returned. Oh well, life is good.. This load development keeps me off the streets and outta the bars so to speak. :(
The search goes on and I may have to break out the Remington 700 CDL to see how it handles my loads, and prove to myself that I am not the weak link in the chain. It has been neglected since the arrival of the Montana.. Have a great weekend folks.

Hah, the frustrations of rifles and reloading!

I've used H4350 / Ar2209 in a couple of 30-06s for 30 years. Recently swapped to R17 and getting faster speeds (extra 60fps) and a fraction better accuracy, with 1.5g less powder, using R17 and 180g Interlocks and NBTs.

Also using R17 in my 270 Win with 130-150g bullets and in the 250 Sav AI with 100 to 117 grainers and it's loving it.

Maybe give some R17 a try. Someone might trade you for some of that R22...

Might also look for some IMR4451. Seems to be very available locally and looks like it mimics H4350 pretty decently.

Rol, sometimes it's tough when that happens. Not sure which load you were shooting but maybe try boosting your speeds a touch higher with higher PSI.. You might find a spot where it'll steady out some?

Rol_P":1hwplqjk said:
Does anyone believe in compensating errors? I do.. Since the good group that I had on Tuesday I have returned to the range and fired 4 groups with the same load and have yet to get better than 1.3+" groups. The group of Tuesday had to be compensating errors. My frustration has returned. Oh well, life is good.. This load development keeps me off the streets and outta the bars so to speak. :(
The search goes on and I may have to break out the Remington 700 CDL to see how it handles my loads, and prove to myself that I am not the weak link in the chain. It has been neglected since the arrival of the Montana.. Have a great weekend folks.

This story made me snicker. 3 years ago buddy gave me his Ruger Hawkeye 3006 and said work something up that might work out West elk hunting. The very first recipe I tried shot right around 1" at 200 yards. This was a 4 shot group and I was pretty sure we hit gold right away. I cut that target out and when I presented it to the very happy gun owner I thought he was going to hug me. I told them we still have to verify it and I'm going to load 10 more up and make sure we get a really tight group. And of course those 10 went all over the place! Not just one or two or three flyers but pretty much a pattern....lol.

Rol_P":1sl6mkg7 said:
Does anyone believe in compensating errors? I do.. Since the good group that I had on Tuesday I have returned to the range and fired 4 groups with the same load and have yet to get better than 1.3+" groups. The group of Tuesday had to be compensating errors. My frustration has returned. Oh well, life is good.. This load development keeps me off the streets and outta the bars so to speak. :(

The joy of statistics. Sample size small enough to allow error to be introduced unintentionally.

Back