30 cal 180gr Ballistic Tip Vs 165gr Ballistic Tip

firstshot

Beginner
Oct 30, 2004
NOSLER":183aqh0i said:
The 30 cal 180gr Ballistic Tip is much thicker than smaller BT's, like most Ballistic Tip's, it has gone thru 4 or so redesigns. Each one better than the previous. This still doesn't make it an elk bullet. Some people would argue, but it is designed for deer size game.

Nosler

I'm currently handloading 165gr Partitions for my new BAR 30-06 which I got this past spring. I am getting good accuracy with this load.....avg 3/4" @ 100 and plan to use it for this my first season with this gun.

Over the summer, I also worked up a load for the 180Grn Ballistic Tips. I'm also getting sub MOA with the 180BT's, but was a little concerned that the 180's might be too heavily constructed for deer size game (Whitetails).

You mentioned in the "30 Cal Ballistic Tip" thread that the 30 cal 180 BT is "much thicker" than smaller BT's. Am I correct in assuming you are refering to jacket thickness and not bullet diameter?

You also say that the 180 BT is "designed for deer sized game". Is the 30 Cal 180grn BT any "thicker" than the 30 Cal 165grn BT or are they constructed the same with only bullet size/weight being the difference?

Assuming like construction, same caliber, and both constructed for deer size game. Other than flatter trajectory for the 165BT or how accurate each is in MY gun, what advantages / disadvantages would the 165BT / 180BT have other each other? In other words, why would I pick one over the other?

Thanks

Firstshot
---------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Good question! If loaded in the 30-06 would the 180 BT's do for elk?

Even though the jacket is thicker, I would NOT advise you to shoot them at Elk sized critters.

In answering which one is the better bullet for deer, which ever one shoots better in your gun.

Both will open up reliably at 3000fps, and at this point it comes down to a little more bullet at impact.

Thanks Nosler! Appreciate the reply!!!!

In AR we can only take one buck with modern rifle this year, and I've already taken a bear with my muzzleloader, so I'm going to stick with the 165gr partitions this season. Will probably use the 180BT's next year.

firstshot
------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Back