.30 cal hunting bullets under 150grs

Guybo

Handloader
Aug 4, 2005
I've been shooting the Hornady 130 SP in my 30.06 for quite a few years and my son shoots it also and we have killed lots of deer with it from 50yds out to about 200yds. It does not have the interloc design that most of the other Hornday bullets do and so far it hasn't failed us. I have no reason to complain and thats not what i'm doing but i was just wondering is there a better constructed bullet out there under 150gr for the 30.06. I know that Barnes makes a 130gr X bullet designed for deer but this rifle absolutely will not shoot them (been there done that).

I love Nosler bullets and shoot them in all my other rifles except for my 30.06. I was just wondering why has Nosler never offered a hunting (deer) bullet under 150gr for the .308? Is it that it wouldn't be in big enough demand? I see that they do make a 125 BT but was it designed for that purpose? I've read some positive reviews on the 125 BT on deer using the 30.06 and even the 300win and it looks like it did a pretty good job. I don't know maybe i stand alone but i would love to see Nosler make a 125 or 130gr Partition or AccuBond in .308. Is there any chance at all that Nosler would ever do this? I know that i'm probably dreaming but IMO this would be an awesome bullet. Thank You! Mike

That would be awesome for a 130 or 125gr AccuBond or Partition in .308. I too would love to see this. My question is why do manufacturers make a bullet such as the AccuBond or any other bonded bullet then only offer them in the heaviest bullets especially if they are built for higher velocity's?

I reloaded for a guy once (circa 1996) for his 30-06. I used 4064 and 130 Hornady. He shot a buck up cloase. Man what a mess. That bullet to me qualifies as a varmint bullet-and I am a huge Hornady fan!

This year I worked on a deeer antelope load for my 30-06. I wound up with 125 Ballistic tip (much tougher than the 130 gr Hornie) and H4895. Velocity is 3200 fps and accuracy is literally 1 hole at 100 yards! I also used Varget and got 3300 fps but the accuracy was in the .75-.85" at 100 yards. This will be one of my antelope loads for next year.

I've killed 3 things with 125bt's out of my 300 win mag.
1st a pronghorn doe at 426 yds...... a lucky neck shot, almost a complete decapitation.
2nd a coyote at about 300 yds.... mid body hit..... almost copletely in half.
3rd a doe mule deer at about 100 yds..... quartered away, I tried to tuck it in her guts to get it to her vitals....... it didnt make it that far. A horible thing.
I never chronoed the load, but I suspect around 3700 fps. BAD IDEA for a winny
but for a mild load in a 30-06 or 308 should be a great deer bullet

Its because there constructed with varmints in mind. The 125g bt is not a big game bullet, but could be used in 308 or 30-06 giving the range was about 200 yards plus. One main concern I see is the very low SD which is relative to penetrattion, on top of a lightly constructed bullet and you'll have a mess and or lost animal. Whats wrong with a 150g?

remingtonman_25_06":1w2qtj4s said:
........... Whats wrong with a 150g?

I have used the 150 before...need something new for my '06. Either way for antelope and a lung shot it outta do ok.

I saw someone shoot a 120# deer at 160yds with the 125gr Speer TNT @ 3,515 fps through the point of the shoulder in a 300WSM and it was very very impressive. The deer bounced off the ground it hit so hard. However, I would choose to only shoot a deer behind the shoulder using such a light bullet. I personally prefer an exit hole when I'm shooting anything.

The 125 grain BT is listed as a big game bullet by Nosler. Expansion
is similar to the heavier sizes.

Good expansion at impact velocities of 1600 - 3000 fps.

Makes a good 30-30 single shot bullet. I am thinking of using them in
a 308 carbine as well, for reduced recoil.

Thanks all for the feedback! I appreciate it.

Pops,
I know exactly what you mean about the mess with a close up shot and the Hornady 130gr. I also use 4064 with this bullet and get around 3000fps at the muzzle. The only deer i've shot with this load that the bullet didn't pass through was about 50yds and it looked as though the bullet blew up. Fortunately i got my deer but it did make a mess.

remingtonman,
Nothing at all wrong with the 150gr and that use to be all i shot in this rifle. I just like shooting the lighter bullets and the deer around here aren't that big. I was just wondering if there was a better constructed bullet out there in that weight range that i could use.

A 125-130gr Partition or AccuBond in .308 would be the ticket and no doubt an awesome bullet IMO.

Again, Thanks everyone! Mike

I have shot 6 deer with the 125BT out of my .308 Makes a mess of the vitals. Never lost a deer with it all but one went all the way through. The one that didnt hit the shoulder.

Back