300 RUM shooters, Name your poison!

When I was in there Friday afternoon, they were pretty much down to crappy WSSM chamberings in Browning A-bolts going for 300-400 bucks and Handi rifles for 140. I haven't heard from A_S so I suppose he's haggling them (last day of gun sales) or there isn't anything left.

I think I've spent enough money lately. Got a great deal on the RUM and have bought or ordered all the components I need to last for quite a while. The last thing I needed was 200 grain Accubonds of which I bought 5 boxes from the main nosler site includiing a nosler tee-shirt and window decal. I wish they weren't sold out of baseball caps or I would have got one of those too LOL. I already have a big Nosler banner above my reloading bench. Guess it's time to branch out and advertise in public LOL.

Just remembered, I need an EGW base and some Burris signature rings. Ok, I think that's all. Sheesh!

I checked last night around 5pm
All the guns and knives are gone.
Down to nubbs. The few fishing poles left all had their tips broke off. There are still some clothes, and now they even have to cleaning supplies for sale.

Thanks guys, saves me a trip that direction.

I did notice tonight that the one on 84th has a lot more stock on rifles than they did last weekend....

I use 200 grain Accubonds and 86 grains of IMR 7828 in the 300 for sub .5 groups . The lower one is a 300RUM and is a shooter. So is the top one but its a 338 Ultra

2ultrasdesktopresolution.jpg

Nice looking group! Did you have to float the barrel and bed the action or did it shoot well out of the box?

yote,

Congratulations on your 300 RUM. The 200 gr AB is a long range elk hammer.
FYI, Schancz has 200 gr AB's on the shelf.

JD338

YoteSmoker":3fh04ys0 said:
Nice looking group! Did you have to float the barrel and bed the action or did it shoot well out of the box?

They were both free floated and bedded from the Custom Shops. The bottom one is the Rem. 700 APR and the other is a HS Precision built gun. I also have the Rem APR in 338 Ultra and 375 Ultra and havent never scoped them.

JD, Thanks, I should have thought of that! Probably not a whole bunch of guys in S. MI standing in line to buy 200 grain bullets this time of year lol. This is a far shot, but did you happen to see any Fed215M? I'm down to about 200 of them. May have to use WLRM primers as I have about 600 or so and they burn a little hotter so shouldn't be too bad with Retumbo if I have to go that route.

Yote,

I bought some CCI 250 Mag primers, $29.95

JD338

All the brass, dies, bullets have arrived! I just purchased a like new 6-24 4200 Elite for $300 shipped. Not bad. Also been wheeling and dealing on stuff I don't need to help offset the costs and put the rest into savings.

Question, for you guys setting your OAL to 3.635-3.650", how far off the lands are you? Are you seating to clear the magazine or is this the best jump distance you have found?

My 300 loves the 200 AB's and I use IMR7828. I am getting 3200fps using 86 grains. But I warn you from can to can that amount can be too hot. So start maybe 80 grains and work up. I was getting 3311fps from RL25 using 88.5 grains but I was shooting a 165 grain bullet. Best of luck. I have a 300 RUM and a 338 Rum and the 300 is my favorite.
Dave

I went ahead and had a KDF (accubrake) brake installed on my 300 RUM, loaded up some 165 Speer cheapies with Retumbo for barrel break in and 200 AccuBond test loads using 93-95 grains Retumbo in .2 grain increments, 3 rounds each.

At 10 am yesterday, I followed the instructions in a recent post by Nosler on their recommended barrel break in procedure and alllowed 5 minutes between shots with a whole lot of cleaning during that time.

I then began load testing the AB's around 2:30 pm. At 5:30 I found a winning combo which is what RichRacer recommended and uses in his rifle....95.0 Retumbo, R-P brass, 3.635" OAL, WLRM primer (only a couple hundred Fed215M on hand so Iwent with the Winchesters). 2 holes touching and my last shot pulled the group out to .583" which I'm 99% sure was me. Not too bad for first day out with a brand new gun!

I definitely could not have put 60 rounds through that gun without the brake and I definitely will never hunt with this rifle without ear protection. As JD338 warned, the blast is unbelievable, yet the recoil pushing 200 grain bullets is close to an 06 pushing 165's I'd say. Definitely want to have your mouth closed unless you want to taste the burning nitro. My buddy was shooting a muzzleloader on the other side of the partitioned bench from me and said everytime I shot, his screw driver lifted up off the bench. :grin: Oh, and he also told me he thought his muzzleloader kicked harder than my gun. I think I can live with that!

Now it's time to load up some more and shoot some steel....It's already zeroed at 100 yards! (Optics include: EGW 20 MOA base, Burris sig zee rings w/inserts, and Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x44)

Thank you to everyone for sharing your information, advice, and encouragement.

As a sidenote, a guy a couple benches doen from me (in his 50s) was attempting to shoot 300 Weatherby ammo in a rifle he just bought off of gun broker as in his words was advertised to him as a 300 Weatherby with a Shillen barrel. After not being able to chamber a round with no idea why, he discovered the barrel said in his words "7 "X" 300". I'm glad he was not close to my bench. I told him he needed to take the gun to a gunsmith to get a chamber cast immediately. Be careful who you shoot beside!

Y_S, Glad you found such a great combo.
Not bad for a discounted rifle. They have one just like it Gander for a little over $800.00. I'd say you did alright. :grin:

YoteSmoker":ur56tpwu said:
As a sidenote, a guy a couple benches doen from me (in his 50s) was attempting to shoot 300 Weatherby ammo in a rifle he just bought off of gun broker as in his words was advertised to him as a 300 Weatherby with a Shillen barrel. After not being able to chamber a round with no idea why, he discovered the barrel said in his words "7 "X" 300". I'm glad he was not close to my bench. I told him he needed to take the gun to a gunsmith to get a chamber cast immediately. Be careful who you shoot beside!

I know his brother! He wanted to shoot 7mm Mauser in a 7mm Rem Mag so it would not kick as bad! :shock:

Yote,

Sounds like you have a shooter, congratulations.

JD338

YoteSmoker":2kz4cp6i said:

Sounds like the democratic party found its next prez candidate. :!:

Here's one I witnessed several years ago:

Shooter having some "unexpected" difficulty shooting his 7mm Rem mag ammo in his 7mm Wby mag rifle. He told the range officer that he didn't buy the 7 Wby ammo because it cost too much!! :shock:

Some people should confine themselves to board games. :lol:

Charlie-NY":yu1earbb said:
Some people should confine themselves to board games. :lol:

and some should not be allowed to breed! :lol:

JD338

Back