300 RUM

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Took the RUM out for a quick sight in, and only had some Barnes factory ammo. Not too bad for first time out.

b226b9b5-d082-4753-af7b-639976f8ca77_zps4e087413.jpg

Rifle is a M700 XCR II with a Weaver 3-15 Super Slam in Talley LW mounts.

That is promising. I believe you should see that tighten up pretty quickly.

Looks promising, I too say, It well only get better as the barrel/trigger gets broken in.

Lou

From my experience, I did not do well with my 300RUM, Browning Stalker. With my old 30-06, I had been shooting 180gr. bullets as hot I dared to load them and killed everything out to 400 yards. When I began loading for the 300RUM the accuracy was good UNTIL I got 300 fps faster than the 30-06, using the same 180gr. bullet, which happened to be the Speer Grand Slam. So, I tried a number of other 180gr. bullets, to include the Noslers and other "premium" bullets. Same result; groups were good until I got MV much over what I was getting with my 30-06. Given all other comparisons, the 300RUM, for me, was not worth my time. I put over 900 rounds through the 300RUM. I realized that if I ever did get higher MV through my tests, the barrel would likely, by that time, be losing accuracy anyway. No way that I would begin again with another 300RUM.
Limiting myself to shots inside 400 yards, seems to me to be no limiting at all.
Good luck with your 300RUM and I hope that you have better results.
Steven

Once you get the barrel broke in and then play with the trigger a bit. I think that RUM will definitely reach out & touch something and quite quickly I might add 8).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy:
Yes, I want to put together some loads with the AB and hopefully the ABLR. Have you seen any RL33 up here in Canada yet?

This is my first RUM, and recoil is pretty much on par with the 300 Wby. Hardly noticeable :)
Then again, I am a tad over 300lbs...lol

Boomer, I will check around here for you :wink:. I have a connection in a small town in SE Saskatchewan that might have some. Will let you know by Friday.
I would also check at Nechako in PG ask for Mark he is a great fellow and always tries to help a guy out. gerry advised me of Mark.

Blessings,
Dan

Man, that 300 needs a few 8lb'ers, just to keep it in a steady diet!

It is a muscle car of cartridges though..

With a 200 ABLR and Retumbo I would expect 3200 FPS. I have owned 5 300 RUMS and they would all shoot 200 grain bullets to 3200 FPS with Retumbo. I shot 200 partitions, 200 speers, 200 Barnes x's and 200 Sierras all to 3200 with Retumbo.

I also shot 220 grain matchkings at 3050 and 240 matchkings at 2850 but I believe these were with IMR 7828.

RMiller":bg01lbsf said:
With a 200 ABLR and Retumbo I would expect 3200 FPS. I have owned 5 300 RUMS and they would all shoot 200 grain bullets to 3200 FPS with Retumbo. I shot 200 partitions, 200 speers, 200 Barnes x's and 200 Sierras all to 3200 with Retumbo.

I also shot 220 grain matchkings at 3050 and 240 matchkings at 2850 but I believe these were with IMR 7828.

That is alot of striking power.

Rem Jim":2kt8hu3q said:
boomer68 - what scope and mounts-rings did you go with :?: :grin: RJ

RJ - I have a set of Talley LW on it with a 3-15x42 Super Slam at the moment, but will be switching to a NF 5-22x50 MOAR soon.

Boomer, I was once a member of the 300 large club and could shoot most anything without much effect but after having the stents installed and dropping a 100 large :wink:. When I shoot the large toys they do give me a bit of a shake :mrgreen:.
I checked for RL33 and the 3 places said the same thing to me it is on their next order but can't tell me when it will be arriving.
I did not check with Doug at Rayner/Shine, I do believe that he will order it in, as will Nechako :).

Blessings,
Dan

My 300 is my favorite rifle to hunt with. Overkill for most game, but its a love hate thing with this rifle...I love to shoot it and hate to put it away :)

Thanks goodness I found more Retumbo as I was just getting ready to go to RL-33. Not a bad thing, just change...

The only complaint my wife had about her XCR was barrel rise. With much hesitation, I had a brake put on it and now she is happy as a clam with her's as well.

Back