.300 Savage loads

Duffy

Beginner
Nov 8, 2004
I have a Savage 99 in .300 Savage and have been shooting Federal factory 150s and 180s and Win. 150s from it. It shoots suprisingly good groups. I recently killed a bull moose with the Fed. 180s. The bullets did not hold together well at all. Nether did they penetrate right through.

Looking to do some reloading for it. Would like a "heavy" bullet for moose and elk that will penetrate well and hold together. A 180 or 165 gr.

Also would like a "light" bullet to use at higher velocity for deer and pronghorn. A 125 gr. or 130 gr.

Any advice?

Robin

For deer a 150 grain Partition if your a timber hunter or a 150 Bt if your hunting long and open. You should get between 2600-2700 with IMR 4898/4064 or R15. With 165 partitions the same powders should run between 2500-2600 and the 180's about 2350 fps. I love my M99's they are a sweet packing rig.

The 125 and 130 grain 30 cal bullets don't really bring a whole lot to the table for big game hunting. For calling yotes I like to use my hunting loads if I'm not worried about pelts. The 125 bt would make a sweet shooting coyote load.

Ok, this is my favorite Deer Cartridge that I have been shooting Deer with for over 25 years. This is what I have found to be a "pet" load:

Nosler 170 grain round nose, 42 grains of Alliant RL 15. Drops Wisconsin Whitetails! Best performance! Savage 99. :lol:

I made good use of the fast follow up shots and the high capacity mag. of my 99 today. I had a pack of wolves go through a cut block I was beside meditating. When I got my pants up and my hands of my Savage 99 I used a fawn distress call to bring two grey wolves in on the run. I hit the far one then dumped the close one on his nose. Then emptied the gun on the far one as he stumbled off. I got him again with the last shot.

Thanks for the info on diffrent loads you have tried. I guess having ONE load to use on Moose to deer might be a good deal. However I do have two 99s and could use one for BIG stuff and one for deer'pronghorn.

Robin

We had a wolf meeting with the ODFW last night. I'm glad to hear you did your duty. I wish that the wolves were not going to be an issue here, but times are a changing. Glad to here the M99 is a great wolf killer. I knew there was a reason I liked it so much.

Back