300 WM, 180 AB, & RL-23

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I finally found the right combination to shoot 180 gr. Accubonds in my engraved M70. This is a three shot, 0.42" group. This is not a screaming fast load, but it matches the velocities listed for most 180 gr. factory loads. I have found Reloder 23 to give me good performance in .270 Win., 7mmRM, and now the 300 Win. Mag. Color me happy! Dan

180 AB & RL23.JPG

180 AB & RL23 - .42 Group.JPG

Well, that would put a smile on the face of about any curmudgeon! (Not that I think you are a curmudgeon, Dan :cautious: ). Always a joy to see a load come together. And I'm with you, a number of my field loads are not the fastest, but they are accurate.
Sometimes, when I don't shoot good groups, I think my wife thinks I AM a curmudgeon. :oops: She can read my face without me even saying anything. I gotta love her for knowing when NOT to ask, "How did the shooting go?" Dan

I have found Reloder 23 to give me good performance in .270 Win., 7mmRM, and now the 300 Win. Mag.
That looks good to me. I've found the same with RL23. I use it for pretty much everything requiring a slower powder (.260, .270, .280, 300 WM) with very good results.

My .300 load is 180 AB's over 75.5 gr RL23 at only 100-ish fps faster than yours.

Great shooting Dan and that 180 at 2950 will fell any elk out to further than I'd wanna shoot one. Glad the rifle is shooting great for you and that sorta load is one of them boring ones, that just works all the darned time on just about everything!

Thanks, Scotty. It is a confidence builder. :) Dan

It's funny, I really love rifles and anything to do with them, but if I am honest with myself, I started out with a 7mm Rem Mag, a 300 Win Mag and a 270 WSM back awhile ago, and I still say if a fella or lady can handle them, something in that same power range that shoots well is just an awesome do everything sorta rifle. Probably throw an 06 in there as well. When they shoot like that, they really do build up the confidence factor which always counts more than 257 ftlbs at 962 yards..:)

Back