300 wsm brass question

theddguide":6tugix1o said:
gerry":6tugix1o said:
Those scratches might be from your sizing die, putting in the cases exactly the same way by lining up the head stamp for example would show that. Scotty is right in that the WSM cases often need to be resized to the max since they are so straight sided and have such a sharp shoulder.
It was from chambering. They were clean going in. So sizing a bit more outta avoid this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That sounds like you have a rough spot somewhere on the rifle then causing that. The extra sizing won't help with that but it will make sure that you don't get a hard bolt close because it hasn't been sized quite enough.

I recently had the barrel and action cerakoted which made the bolt pretty tight and not so smooth, but after several hundred cycles it's smoothed out. I was told both ends of the barrel were plugged and done properly, but I'm wondering if there's grit left in the chamber causing this and if so how do I get rid of it and keep it from accumulating again?

Swab the chamber put with some 80-90% alcohol.

I’d try sizing the cases a touch more as well.

I'd give that sizing die another 1/2 turn. I tried just neck sizing my WSM early on...waste of time. Now I just FL size the brass for easy functioning.

I agree with the other guys on sizing more . I did a little looking , from what I see your load is below max . I see max at around 64.7 - 65.0 depending on the source . you should be able to use a shotgun swab to clean the chamber , or you can wrap a cleaning patch around a brush to clean at the chamber .

So I just cleaned it as described and im still getting these scratches on mostly one side and right by the shoulder on the other side and actually somewhat of a ring type scratch towards the bottom. I sized a couple a few thousands more and while it felt easier closing the bolt it still left the marks. Should I try to polish the chamber or what? Leave it alone? It's stuff like this that'll bug me if I do
cafc0da08fc96a47a6fc105f9549f0a7.jpg
5b2243b4aa2a209d36f72db83342e95a.jpg

the marks on the shoulder could be from the ejector pushing the brass against the chamber and action on the way out . if it had a bullet seated it probably wouldn't do that , it would be riding on the bullet tip . the marks on the the side of the case I'm not sure . it looks like marks from an emery cartridge roll ( sand paper roll ) . I suppose it could be some junk in the chamber that didn't clean out for you . that's the heck of it , you really can't see in there without a bore scope to know what's going on . the ring around the bottom is normal .

these marks are from the rifle , correct ? or the sizing die ?
if from the rifle , are you just chambering them , or do you need to fire the rifle ?
if from the die , clean the die .

Definitely from when chambering it in the rifle and the same marks appeared after cleaning it

Definitely from when chambering it in the rifle and the same marks appeared after cleaning it

Should I really worry about these marks if I can size them back just enough for easier bolt closure even though they'll still show up?

I probably wouldn’t worry about them myself. Unless the rifle just isn’t shooting then I’d just shoot it.

I haven't seen anyone mention polishing the chamber. There is some expert advice out there, I've done it and it works, but I'm not expert. There's a guy who calls himself Varmint Al who knows things.

Just a thought, but it looks like you may have a burr on the edge of the chamber. You may or may not be able to get your little finger in far enough to feel without removing the scope. The lack of a mark near the shoulder seems to indicate that could be a possibility.............. Then again, maybe not. :)

Kevin

I think what I'd do is buy new brass , and see what happens . if the rifle functions ok , I'd use it . if I still had stiff bolt at lower loads , I'd either get a smith to look at it , or I'd try to polish the chamber myself .

cha":27dcisac said:
Just a thought, but it looks like you may have a burr on the edge of the chamber. You may or may not be able to get your little finger in far enough to feel without removing the scope. The lack of a mark near the shoulder seems to indicate that could be a possibility.............. Then again, maybe not. :)

Kevin
I think this maybe the case. I came up with the idea to run a case into the chamber by removing the bolt and slipping the case into the extractor then chamber it versus picking it up out of the magazine as I thought maybe it was from the feed ramp. Well, the case came out virtually unmarked side from a small scratch here or there; put another unmarked case in the mag and pushed her in slowly to see if I could see anything. It seems to pop up out of the mag without much downward force at all on the ramp but as it's chambered it appears to enter at an angle and then straightens out about the point where the scratches start below the shoulder. So, I can't really see or feel anything but there must be something right there at the edge from my best judgment. A side note; I looked at some older cases I had from when I first fired the gun and they look like they have the same marks, so my guess is I've been running it like it is the whole time. So my guess and hope is that some of the stiff bolts I get are from cases that are done for too begin with or they weren't sized quite enough.

Is there something anyone can recommend doing to smooth up the edge of the chamber?

theddguide":z8wzixmw said:
Is there something anyone can recommend doing to smooth up the edge of the chamber?

since I know you are feeding from the magazine , I'm guessing the magazine feed lips , or the follower is causing the marks .

theddguide, that would be driving me insane. I personally would be taking it to a smith to get an opinion and he would hopefully take a look at the case and know what it would take to fix it.

All the best

Kevin

cha":1mwuwjwv said:
theddguide, that would be driving me insane. I personally would be taking it to a smith to get an opinion and he would hopefully take a look at the case and know what it would take to fix it.

All the best

Kevin
As much as I like the rifle I feel like I've been trying so hard to fall in love with it also and it's just not happening especially with this issue going on. Needless to say I've been looking for something to take it's spot.

Back