300 WSM Load Development

Brobb

Beginner
Sep 30, 2026
3
2
My brother picked up a Christensen Ridgeline FFT with a 20" Barrel so I'm doing load development. I'd probably shoot 165 accubonds but he wants to shoot 180 grain Partitions with Peterson Brass. I generally start development with putting info into Gordon's Reloading Tool and comparing powders I have on hand. After barrel break in, the powders I'm testing are IMR4350, RL16, RL17, N150 (0.010 off lands). I've had mixed results with Gordon's Reloading Tool and in this case, it was pretty far off and recommending starting loads quite a bit higher than the manuals suggest. Instead, I went with the manual and started low, working up. I was somewhat surprised at seeing some pressure signs in the low 2900's but it is a 20" barrel so figured that into account. Looks like 2830 is pretty accurate with RL17 in this gun. Only have a pound so in another 120 rounds, I'll be switching it up. Curious if that speed is to be expected from a 20" barrel or hearing some opinions from others.
 
I have pretty much used my supply of WXR for the 300 WSM and 180 gr AccuBonds. (My rifle has a 23 1/2" barrel)
I did have good results (sub-MOA) with N-165 as well. (Sorry, I did not chrony this load back in the day (2003) as I did not have one)
The only other bullets I tried loads for were with 180 gr Scirrocos and TSXs, with N165 and IMR 4064 respectively. Both also produced sub-MOA results in my rifle. (And again, I did not chrony these loads either.)
 
Last edited:
Welcome aboard Brobb. I’ve had good luck with Rl-19 and 22 as well, those are tough to come by now and expensive. I have not loaded for any short barrel 300 WSM however. I do think you are leaving some velocity on the table with RL-17. You might look at N560 if you feel the need to gain a little velocity when you run out of Rl 17. Good luck and well done on working your way up, every rifle is different. If you’ve found pressure while still within the guidlines established by a manual that is important information to have in your log book.
 
Thanks. I've been reloading about 15 years now for a dozen different guns. It's so much fun but too easy going down rabbit holes chasing something that may not exist, lol. N560 is the powder I use in my 300 PRC and I wouldn't have thought to use it or other powders in that burn rate just because of the short barrel and not fully burning all the powder. GRT (which I know may not be fully correct) shows only 90% of the powder burning at 93% case capacity. Are you familiar with Gordon's? I do find it to be a useful tool but always cautious about reading too much into it. It seems to generally show over SAAMI pressure before actually seeing signs of pressure. Shot several 5 shot groups this morning and 63.3 grains IMR4350 was a sub moa group at 2877 average. When I calibrate the program to match measured velocity, the program shows over 70k psi. But case looks good, primer looks good so I've always wondered.
 
Xphunter on here shoots bolt action long barreled pistols he has some interesting observations on short barrels and powder selection. Might be worth looking at for your situation. Nothing wrong with 2877; 180 gr. Partition; sub moa, not much walks away from a hit from that combination.
 
I would just caution using loads over the 65K psi in a modern action, as that is what they are spec'd for (+Peak chamberings in rifles approved for them, not withstanding)...not to mention the additional throat erosion you'll get which will shorten the life of his barrel.
The velocity sounds reasonable from the shorter barrel, but that pressure... 🤔
 
Yea, I don't like knowingly shooting something over pressure. I did some more searching and there's a post on here from 10 years ago that talks about SAAMI pressure and was helpful. I usually need to remind myself to manage expectations or I rarely stop looking for something just a little better. The reality is, the 150 rounds I'll put through this gun in a week is more than he'll likely shoot it in the next 5 years. He'll never shoot it enough to go through a barrel. Plus even if it's a 1 moa gun, he's not a 1 moa shooter.

Thankfully I live real close to the range, have plenty of time and I really enjoy shooting. I have several pounds of RL23 and use it for my 280AI. I did some group tests on that and 63.5 grains shot a cloverleaf at 100 at 2775 fps. Putting everything into a ballistics calculator, gaining 50-75 fps is only a couple inches different at 400 yards. As usual, I tend to overthink :LOL:.
 
Last edited:
It is an easy rabbit hole to go down! 🤔
And we all tend to do it, to some degree, trying to wring out that extra bit of performance from our firearms, so you are definitely not alone! (Even if we would like to practice KISS!)
But I will admit that it is all part of the fun of this hobby. 😄

I know that even if I can get just that little bit extra (velocity or accuracy) out of our experimentation, that it boosts our level of satisfaction, even if we cannot realize it as fully when actually out hunting in the field and shooting from field positions...but it does boost our level of confidence when taking those shots! And that is a very good thing! 😎
 
Back
Top