300 WSM+ Max Loads+RL17?

sithlord6512

Beginner
Nov 24, 2008
Has anybody worked up to max loads for a 300 WSM for 180 g bullets using reloader 17? What was this max load?

I used Alliant's data and worked up to a Max load of 66 grains using 180 grain Barnes TTSX's. Other than very light, barely noticable ejector marks at the max loading, I had no other pressure signs (i.e., flattened primers, sticky bolt lift, etc.). However, I got a velocity of 3255 fps at 66 grains and 3125 fps at 62.7 (5% of max) of RL17 (above the reported max velocity of 3086 fps using 180 grain Speer BTSP). This would suggest a very hot load or that my chrony is out of whack.

I stopped out of fear.

If you're getting faint ejector marks, you're pushing the brass beyond safe limits, and you're over pressure, plain and simple. Either back off or wait for something more catastrophic to occur to your rifle and potentially either you eye or your hand. You're sitting at 300Wby velocities, from a 2" shorter barrel. That's a lot of pressure to be created by that smaller case.

Assuming your chronograph is working, there is only one way to get velocities higher than safe loads predict. Back off the load. The brass may not give on the first try or even on the second, third or fourth. Eventually, it will give as the chamber is being stressed beyond what it is designed to handle.

While Alliant worked up a safe load, it was with the Speer BTSP and you are using a monolithic bullet that has a longer bearing surface. Hence, you are generating higher pressures. According to QuickLoad, you are generating in excess of 81,000 psi, or about 17,000 psi over maximum pressure. According to my data, about 61 grains would be a maximum charge with that bullet.

I found my Max load to be 65 Grains of RL17 with a Nosler PT. 180 grain. I used a Federal 215M primer with Norma cases. Velocity was 3090. I did try 66Grs. but found it uncomfortably warm. The Rifle was a Kimber Montana with a 24Inch barrel. Accuracy was in the area of 1/2 inch for a three shot group.

Just worked up a load for mine using 180 AccuBond and found 64gr to be a little to hot, I should be fine with 63. 5 gr and still be getting over 3000 fps.

sithlord6512":3bntzhok said:
Has anybody worked up to max loads for a 300 WSM for 180 g bullets using reloader 17? What was this max load?

I used Alliant's data and worked up to a Max load of 66 grains using 180 grain Barnes TTSX's. Other than very light, barely noticable ejector marks at the max loading, I had no other pressure signs (i.e., flattened primers, sticky bolt lift, etc.). However, I got a velocity of 3255 fps at 66 grains and 3125 fps at 62.7 (5% of max) of RL17 (above the reported max velocity of 3086 fps using 180 grain Speer BTSP). This would suggest a very hot load or that my chrony is out of whack.

I stopped out of fear.
.............I`d back off at least a half grain to see if those ejector marks have been eliminated.

Your added velocity compared to Alliant`s data, is probably because you just may have a faster bore. Your chrony may not be out of whack.

I haven`t tried any 180s along with the RL 17 as of yet in my own 300 WSM, but recently worked up a load using 69 gr RL 17 and the 155 gr Berger (hunting) VLD, a loading that I copied from the "reloadersnest" site. I use of the VLDs for hog hunting.

His velocity from a 24" barrel was 3380 fps. From my 300 WSM, 16.5" barreled Ruger compact carbine, I got 3234 fps.

I would never use a load showing ejector marks on the brass! A gunsmith friend called me in to show me the reason why a few years back. He had a Model 70 (push feed) that had been converted to 340 Wby and the customer had brought it to him because he couldn't open the bolt. It seems the guy had been shooting it for years with the same load. When I examined it one bolt lug was broken off most of the way! He had several fired brass from this rifle and some unfired shells that were still in the magazine, ejector marks were all over each one of these cases. Don't ever feel that those marks are OK, it's brass being forced into the bolt face from too much pressure. Every time you shoot the lugs will spring a little and on heavy loads they may spring a lot. Take a piece of steel and bend it back and forth enough and it will break. Your head is behind this bomb!

Here is a good article on bolt strength
http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/cu ... rength.htm

sithlord6512,

I haven't shot any R-17 in my 300WSM but have in a 270WSM. They had a max of 60gr/R-17 with 150gr bullet @ 3041fps. I worked up to a 59gr/R-17 with Hornady 150 gr bullet @ 3058fps,150gr Sierra @ 3071fps and 150gr Partition @ 3066fps. I did load up to max of 60grs on those 3 bullets I average 60fps more in velocity and I used Fed 215 primers.

I load the TSX bullets in a 300WSM(168gr),270WSM(140gr),30-06(165/168gr) and 270(140gr). Many times close to max loads I'll be 150/200fps over published velocity with no ejector marks. I'll measure case heads expansion.

What I do is call Alliant see if they are getting complains about lot to lot varation with R-17 also call Barnes and see what kind of data they may have now for R-17.

Good luck

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/cu ... rength.htm

Back