308 & 30-30 to the range this morning

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Was about 40 - 45 degrees and damp, but there was virtually no wind. Perfect morning to do some rifle shooting! I shot the 308 Win, Remington 700 "Green Machine" and my 30-30 Glenfield. Other than being mild-shooting 30 cal rifles, they sure don't have much in common.

I'm starting to use the 6x SWFA scope with the mil-reticle, and there's a bit of a learning curve, but I like it.

Today's load was 50 grains of Varget, CCI BR-2 primers, 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and Federal brass. Velocity is a bit over 3100 fps.

43C1ydal.jpg

Roughly one-inch group at 200 yards, but I was high and right. I'll chalk that up to being zeroed at 100 yards, and trying to use the mil reticle for aiming at 200 yards. I kinda messed it up. But... At least I messed it up consistently. :grin:
cFhz6QYl.jpg

Roughly three-inch group at 300 yards on my AR-500 silhouette from Precision Targets, here in Wenatchee Washington. Love ringing that thing at 300 yards! :)
oHDuM3pl.jpg

Then onto the 30-30 Glenfield! :grin: I surely do like this little rifle. Not sure why, but I'm having a little trouble getting the perfect 100 yard zero with the Williams peep sight. I'm using 8" paper plates for my 100 yard targets and am hitting the target but off to the left side of the target a bit. Adjust the sight for windage, and suddenly I'm missing the target. Sigh... I've got a trick or two up my sleeve that I'll try next time, and I'll bring more ammo. Ran out this morning before I got it dialed in today. On the other hand, I did scare the heck out of a rock on the 300 yard berm... So... I'm not too far off with that Winchester 170 grain ammo.
HSG39Fml.jpg

hCvYxkml.jpg

I think I'm having a hard time with a consistent hold, with that round brass bead on the front sight. For several years I've been using a little 2.5x Leupold on this scope, but... I really want to be able to shoot it well with the peep sight. We will see... Have a little trick for that.

Guy

Consistency is good. That is some fine shooting with the .308. Open sights are a loss for me anymore.

Looking good Guy... throw an orange sticker on your group and put your reticle on it. Bet if you adjust to your reticle with your turrets you’ll be on point. That’s a great combo.

That 30-30 is looking good. I imagine you’ll get it sorted out. Mine has a square front site. The round beads are tough with the way they catch light somedays. A squirt of Sight Black helps a little.

Ya, it was funny Scotty, I was "on" at 100 yards, then at 200 yards my group was high & right. Then at 300 yards I was well centered, and even shattered a clay pigeon out there with the first shot... I dunno. I messed up the 200 somehow.

That means I get to load more ammo and go try it again. :grin:

BTW, that 125 gr load is really nice to shoot from the varmint-weight rifle. Just a nudge to the shoulder. Very nice.

Ohhhhh, I missed that part Guy! Carry on! I know you’ll sort it out. I’m sure it was just a SNAFU... wouldn’t have mattered too much, still not too far off point.

I loved 125’s outta my old 308.. need another one of them one of these days!

And was back out on the range again today. :)

Shooting better I might add. The 308 is shooting very well. Sub MOA time after time. Did a little shooting from the bench, then a friend shot my rifle a bit. Then I tossed the shooting mat onto the gravel, wrapped that sling around my arm and did some shooting from prone & sitting. Yee haw! Was dinging that 300 yard steel with every shot! :mrgreen:

Shot up most of my 125 gr Ballistic Tip ammo, and then shot up 20 more rounds of 155 gr Noser HPBT bullets I'd loaded in 2009 for competition. Pleasing me greatly, they had virtually the same point of impact at both 100 and 300 yards as the faster 125's do. And better accuracy.

Even the three I did "rapid fire" from prone, and another three I did "rapid fire" from sitting were pretty doggone tight.

I think I'll get back to carrying this 308 "Green Machine" a lot more. We bonded a couple of decades ago, and with this new 6x scope, I think we're a good team once again. :grin:

The 30-30 is now officially "dialed in" at 100 yards with the factory front bead sight and the rear Williams receiver sight.

Yup. Today was a good day at the range!

Guy

I REALLY like the skinner front sight blades. You should be able to measure your current front sight and swap with a corresponding skinner blade with same POI.

http://www.skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html

I’ve used these on several rifles now, I’m very pleased with them. You can add a dab of fingernail polish or whiteout to make a little more high vis

d3a2d99c4b876716999a0e0b8e0d342b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I put a Skinner front sight on an earlier 336 Marlin 30-30. It worked well with the Williams receiver sight I mounted on that rifle.

Might do that again. Maybe.

Guy

Glad you’re liking the SS Guy. Good scope. Just about perfect on a 308 or similar sorta rifle. I’ve ran them a bunch and really like them. I’ve been concerting some older M8’s to the LR Duplex just to save a little weight but I really like the SS 6X.

Ha! I was about to send you a PM, thanking you for your nudge to buying the SS 6x. (y)

It's one heck of a scope. Simple. Robust. Clear optics. I'm getting smarter about using it for holdovers and hold-offs for the wind. Really liking it.

And... the new scope has got me using my old Green Machine rifle a lot more lately. That's a good thing. I wish I'd had this scope on it all those years that I was on SWAT, but this scope, the 6x version, wasn't available then. Only the 10x as I recall, and 10x was too much for my purposes.

Thanks!

Guy

Guy Miner":1bapdih6 said:
Ha! I was about to send you a PM, thanking you for your nudge to buying the SS 6x. (y)

It's one heck of a scope. Simple. Robust. Clear optics. I'm getting smarter about using it for holdovers and hold-offs for the wind. Really liking it.

And... the new scope has got me using my old Green Machine rifle a lot more lately. That's a good thing. I wish I'd had this scope on it all those years that I was on SWAT, but this scope, the 6x version, wasn't available then. Only the 10x as I recall, and 10x was too much for my purposes.

Thanks!

Guy

I can't hardly say enough good about them. I wished there was a shorter windage knob and wished they weren't 20 ounces, but all in all, for under 300 dollars, day in and day out I cannot find a better scope for the money. They are tough as heck and just do exactly what they are supposed to. They are definitely my first pick if I have a light rifle and can put a heavier scope on it and not make it heavier than I want. Their optics have allowed me to take quite a few animals to this point. Glad it got you shooting the 308 again. Their MilQuad reticle is super useful and once you learn it, man, it is quick!

Tell ya guys - I'm going to have to get real good at my sitting position again. That prone stuff just hurts an awful lot.

Neck problems a while back, and fused three vertebrae 2.5 years ago. Ugh. The ol' neck isn't as flexible as it used to be.

But, I used to be pretty doggone good from sitting. Often MOA with this rifle, so.. perhaps I can get back there. Even if I don't, it will be fun trying.

Guy

Too Tall":32dtbldh said:
Guy, coyote hunting is where to practice the sitting position.

Too Tall

And that's exactly the intent of this 125 gr load I've worked up! (y)

Besides, my mule deer need a break. They're getting hit pretty hard locally from the coyotes, wolves, cougars and bears.

Doggone it, those are MY mule deer! :wink:

Guy

Back