.308 load data

richcale

Beginner
Dec 6, 2004
I was loading .308 win. tonight and I noticed that the can of Hodgdon BLC2 had a .308 load on it that called for 48gr. for the 150 gr. ballistic tip. I checked the Speer manual I have and they say 44gr. Both companies are claiming theirs is the max load. Does anyone know why there is such a discrepency between the two companies? Is Speer that much more conservative? Is there a difference in testing pressures?
Thanks in advance for any info on this.
Rich

I used up a keg of ball C1. I never liked the stuff. The data Hogdon provided was wrong and I blew primers believing them.

I was a beginer then. Now I know that Bob Hagel was right and each rifle is an individual and one needs to work a load up.

if u have any other suitable powders for the 308win try them-blc-2 has always given me alot of hangfires in cold weather and in hot weather it gives pressure spikes.try varget,rl-15,h4895,vv140 or vv540,vv550 or vv150,or benchmark with the lighter bullets.my-2-dave

There's an endless assortment of variables that could account for the differences. They data was tested by different people, on different days, with different equipment, in different barrels, with different components, with different lot numbers of powder and so on.

The things that immediately jump out at me when comparing Speer's 308 data to Hodgdon's 308 data is that they used different bullets, different cases, different primers and different OALs. Those 4 things could easily account for the differences, especially since Speer used IMI (mil-spec) cases (according to my manual) for their tests while Hodgdon used commercial cases. Also, the Speer bullets and the Nosler BT have quite different construction, which can play a big part in how much pressure a given charge produces.

This is why reloading manuals are simply a guide, and they urge you to start out at a low charge and work up carefully.

I have seen these kind of differences between all my reloading books with all different calibers, powders etc..... I do my comparisons and then slowly work up my loads (giving preference to the guide from the bullet manufacturer that I am using for starting loads). Since most of my rifles are 5 years old or less I generally find that all the books are on the lite side. I have never been a fan of BLC 2, but then I tend to look for the temp insensative powders 1st anyway. In my Sako 308 I have had excellent luck with Reloader 15.

Long

I bought the BLC2 to work up a 35 Rem load and saw the data for the .308 on the can, so I thought it might be a good versatile powder. From what I'm reading I'm glad I only loaded 10rds. each of 150 gr. BT's and 168 gr. Match BTHP's. Does this powder work well in anything? I was also thinking about .223 and .22-250 Does the relatively small volume of powder in the case have anything to do with the inconsistancy of the performance? I noticed I had to make a big adjusment of the powder measurer when I went from this to IMR3031.
For economic reasons I try to stay with as few powder cans as I can sitting around. I use H110, IMR 4350 and 3031 on a lot of stuff for that reason. I only bought a pound of the BLC2 but I hope I can find something it works well on. I appreciate the great feedback. I currently own guns in .300 Win Mag, 30-06, 243, 22-250 AI, 270 win., 308, 45acp, 223, 22 Hornet, 35 Rem. and 44 special. Anyone see it working in any of these? Thanks again!
Rich

The old Ball C1 that I had worked quite well in the 222 Rem. so Ball C2 might be ok in the 223.

Back