308 Norma Magnum

SJB358, You'll like the 30-338mag and your real close on case capacity. My case capacity is 86.2gr.

30-338":15mdlcuk said:
SJB358, You'll like the 30-338mag and your real close on case capacity. My case capacity is 86.2gr.

Any notes or guidance would be appreciated buddy. I think it'll be a fun one myself.

What's yours set up like?

Well Lou very generously is going to send some brass and I just ordered the last box of 25 Norma cases from an online dealer I usually check (also got their last box of Norma 35 Whelen cases too while I was at it) So it looks like the decision has been made to right an old wrong and have a 308 Norma in the house again :) Will sometime this year find a 300 Win Mag take off barrel for my Rem 700 unless my Sako 358 Norma doesn't sell then I will need to find a take off for that gun instead. That gun hasn't sold for 5 months now over in DrMike's neck of the woods so it may end up coming home again. The 308 Norma will fill a big gap in my line up right now in between the 270 Win and 35 Whelen.

Thinking of two basic loads:
- A low recoil load 165 or 180 gr bullet loaded with something like H 4895, RL 15 or Big Game at around 2900-3000 fps. I had such a load with my old 300 WSM with RL 15 that was super accurate and fun to shoot.
- A full power 180-200 gr bullet like the AccuBond or Partition that hopefully hits in the same place as the above load.
- Who am I kidding going to try the 220 gr Partition again too, it was a hammer in the old gun.....

I used 71 grains of IMR 4350 with the 180 gr Partition in my .308 Norma Mag. Probably going 2900+, killed deer really far! I did not have a chrono back then?

gerry":s0l3k6mz said:
Well Lou very generously is going to send some brass and I just ordered the last box of 25 Norma cases from an online dealer I usually check (also got their last box of Norma 35 Whelen cases too while I was at it) So it looks like the decision has been made to right an old wrong and have a 308 Norma in the house again :) Will sometime this year find a 300 Win Mag take off barrel for my Rem 700 unless my Sako 358 Norma doesn't sell then I will need to find a take off for that gun instead. That gun hasn't sold for 5 months now over in DrMike's neck of the woods so it may end up coming home again. The 308 Norma will fill a big gap in my line up right now in between the 270 Win and 35 Whelen.

Thinking of two basic loads:
- A low recoil load 165 or 180 gr bullet loaded with something like H 4895, RL 15 or Big Game at around 2900-3000 fps. I had such a load with my old 300 WSM with RL 15 that was super accurate and fun to shoot.
- A full power 180-200 gr bullet like the AccuBond or Partition that hopefully hits in the same place as the above load.
- Who am I kidding going to try the 220 gr Partition again too, it was a hammer in the old gun.....

That sounds like a great plan Gerry.. I love those big 200 grain Nosler's. My son's 300 Wby is really flinging the 200 PT's. I'd take the same bullet moving a 100 FPS slower just to have a little handier rifle.. I have some thoughts for the build already floating threw my brain.

I am thinking of a Model 70 Classic with a #3 Krieger or Bartein and using a 1-9 twisted barrel as well. I'd like to put it into an Echols Legend Stock as well. Thinking it might be really slick. I'd change out the mag box and bolt stop to take a magnum length 3.6" box. I think that would get just about everything there is to get from the cartridge.

That would sure make a great rifle, Scotty. Man, that could make almost anyone jealous.

SJB358":1zka5wb3 said:
I am thinking of a Model 70 Classic with a #3 Krieger or Bartein and using a 1-9 twisted barrel as well. I'd like to put it into an Echols Legend Stock as well. Thinking it might be really slick. I'd change out the mag box and bolt stop to take a magnum length 3.6" box. I think that would get just about everything there is to get from the cartridge.

Sounds good and would shoot the heavyweights and high b.c. bullets, of course I would go with a Rem 700 but that's another story :mrgreen: seriously though it would be a fine gun and better than anything Winchester could have come up with all those premium components.

Hope to have my 308 Norma up and running sometime this year it might end up being a more budget minded gun compared to some of my other ones but it still will turn out great.

DrMike, on a side note what are the chances of getting a King 30 cal barrel and any idea if I was able to talk him into selling one how much it would be? When I got my original 35 Whelen barrel it cost about 60% of a Douglas or Pac Nor at the time.

Gerry,

I'll see if I can reach Bevan. He was declining rather rapidly and I've been out of pocket for a month or so. Try to get back to you on that.

I hunted for a number of years with a fellow that shot nothing but the 308 Norma Mag. If I remember right he shot 180gr. partitions out of it. I know that his freezer was always full.
Guys every time I talk myself into reducing the contents of my gun safe you start these posts :twisted:. I am not really interested in anything bigger than my 35 Whelen but man I sure have heard the call of a 6.5 Creedmore lately :mrgreen:!
gerry I am looking forward to your new build it should be fun (y)!!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":c68p4x9w said:
I hunted for a number of years with a fellow that shot nothing but the 308 Norma Mag. If I remember right he shot 180gr. partitions out of it. I know that his freezer was always full.
Guys every time I talk myself into reducing the contents of my gun safe you start these posts :twisted:. I am not really interested in anything bigger than my 35 Whelen but man I sure have heard the call of a 6.5 Creedmore lately :mrgreen:!
gerry I am looking forward to your new build it should be fun (y)!!

Blessings,
Dan
Dan, I know where there is a CZ 550 American in 6.5X55 for sale. But it's on this side of the boarder.
I just checked Fedex Tracking and the M70 is in NE on it's way to Cottage Grove OR. :mrgreen:

Rodger likely the bolt handle on the 6.5 X 55 was on the wrong side :wink:.
I am not going to be able to afford another build for some time :(. I just have to be satisfied with what I have. Besides Nosler bullet components are getting very difficult to come by up here. Hopefully things will start flow across the border soon (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Scott you will like the 30-338 or the 308 norma, they are almost identical. I owned a 30-338 about five years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_39902154760821.jpeg
    IMG_39902154760821.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 689
I remember your 30-338 Jeff. I think you showed it to me in the parking lot where we met up in Billings before we went and had supper.

That's a cool picture too.. Love the old woodland pattern.

Dude your sick the Newton might not get left out but your poor Whelen would be lost. Looking for a new home !!

Glad I'm not the only one with problems!

The more I think about it I may end up staying with the 168 gr Ballistic Tip and Bonded Solid base or a 180 gr Swift Scirocco. The latter two are pretty tough bullets and would work for anything around here, the Ballistic Tip would be a great practice bullet that could handle a lot of smaller game too. The 200 gr Partition is another that will probably get tried just because.....

This project is getting closer now, thanks to DrMike's contact a Canadian made King barrel should be ordered this week. I have had one 35 cal King barrel and it has been a good one, first as a 35 Whelen and lately rechambered to 358 Norma. Have dies and some proper 308 NM brass, also we have a bunch of 7mm Rem Mag cases which will be necked up and used for practice loads.

I am still tossing around 2 options for a load:

1) a 165-168 gr bullet such as a Swift Scirocco or maybe a GMX or E Tip in the case of the mono bullets I may even drop down to 150's

2) a 180 gr Swift Scirocco or maybe a 200 gr AccuBond or Partition.

The advantage of the first load would be mild recoil but I'm not sure if I trust a mono bullet for proper expansion at long range. I am leaning more towards the 165 or 180 gr Scirocco for an all around load for everything from deer and goats all the way to moose, elk and grizzly. With all the great bullets these days I'm not sure if you need to go with heavy bullets anymore.

What are your thoughts?

I do like the Scirocco; a 165 grain Scirocco would be just the cat's pajamas for that cartridge. However, I'm not in the least concerned about expansion with the 150 grain E-Tip in my 30-06. The 150 grain E-Tip in the 308 Norma would deliver a powerful blow to anything you would need to shoot with it.

DrMike":3bv0b6ic said:
I do like the Scirocco; a 165 grain Scirocco would be just the cat's pajamas for that cartridge. However, I'm not in the least concerned about expansion with the 150 grain E-Tip in my 30-06. The 150 grain E-Tip in the 308 Norma would deliver a powerful blow to anything you would need to shoot with it.

Got to agree with the good Dr. Pretty sure you would have a hard time picking a bad bullet.

Back