308 Norma Magnum

SJB358":34hunars said:
DrMike":34hunars said:
I do like the Scirocco; a 165 grain Scirocco would be just the cat's pajamas for that cartridge. However, I'm not in the least concerned about expansion with the 150 grain E-Tip in my 30-06. The 150 grain E-Tip in the 308 Norma would deliver a powerful blow to anything you would need to shoot with it.

Got to agree with the good Dr. Pretty sure you would have a hard time picking a bad bullet.

I'm sure you are both right, can't see going over 180 gr anymore. I tested the 150 gr E Tip a number of years back from a 30-06 and they penetrated 6 milk jugs which is plenty for big game. Those Scirocco's look really good too, every one that has been tested in our bullet tests section has done very well. One of our members from Alaska had a 180 gr Scirocco penetrate a brown bear lengthwise and exit from a 300 RUM which is exceptional.

[/quote]

Those Scirocco's look really good too, every one that has been tested in our bullet tests section has done very well. One of our members from Alaska had a 180 gr Scirocco penetrate a brown bear lengthwise and exit from a 300 RUM which is exceptional.[/quote]

Hi Gerry, I have about 90 loaded rounds of 180gr Scirocco's for my 300 win mag, I really like this bullet a bunch, and they just shoot lights out from my Tikka, my first chance with this load well be in the first week of Sept for black bear, and then again last week of Oct for Newfoundland moose, my 375 H&H with 260gr accubonds well tag along as well (y)

Lou

gerry":7xg8nlvt said:
SJB358":7xg8nlvt said:
DrMike":7xg8nlvt said:
I do like the Scirocco; a 165 grain Scirocco would be just the cat's pajamas for that cartridge. However, I'm not in the least concerned about expansion with the 150 grain E-Tip in my 30-06. The 150 grain E-Tip in the 308 Norma would deliver a powerful blow to anything you would need to shoot with it.

Got to agree with the good Dr. Pretty sure you would have a hard time picking a bad bullet.

I'm sure you are both right, can't see going over 180 gr anymore. I tested the 150 gr E Tip a number of years back from a 30-06 and they penetrated 6 milk jugs which is plenty for big game. Those Scirocco's look really good too, every one that has been tested in our bullet tests section has done very well. One of our members from Alaska had a 180 gr Scirocco penetrate a brown bear lengthwise and exit from a 300 RUM which is exceptional.

I think the reason id stick towards the heavier end of bullets is to keep the energy and speed higher for a longish shot. Not sure where the Speed and energy cross on a 150 ETip and 180 Swift but I'd bet it's not too much further than 400 yards. I do know what you mean about the newer bullets having much more capability than ever before. I know a few folks that rave over the 150 Barnes in a 300. Said they can't keep them in animals and the 0-500 yard trajectory is laser like.

Hi Gerry, here's some brass for you pal :) ..well go in the mail on Saturday (y) ..Man I was just in my early 20's when I shot these pal! 8)

Enjoy brother (y) ..Lou :)

Very nice I'm looking forward seeing it, thanks buddy :) It will definitely be put to good use.

gerry":r2r95jgq said:
Very nice I'm looking forward seeing it, thanks buddy :) It will definitely be put to good use.

No problem pal, hope you can hammer something with your loads! (y)

Lou

LD375":2e6xnt2b said:
Hi Gerry, here's some brass for you pal :) ..well go in the mail on Saturday (y) ..Man I was just in my early 20's when I shot these pal! 8)

Wow! Your early twenties, Lou? That brass must be at least sixty years old! :shock: :mrgreen:

DrMike":3b890af1 said:
LD375":3b890af1 said:

Wow! Your early twenties, Lou? That brass must be at least sixty years old! :shock: :mrgreen:
:lol: .Heck no Mike, I'm only a young lad of 50 :shock: ..Norma brass is great stuff for our good friend Gerry (y) ..Cheers, Lou :wink:

Well I found one more box of 25 brass online so with the ones that Lou is kindly sending I'll be up to 90 pieces of Norma brass which isn't too bad. With proper care and annealing the necks they should last a long time, of course I'll keep an eye out for more but feel good having 90 of them. Ordered another box of Norma 35 Whelen brass too at the same time which will be used for 225 gr AccuBond's, going to use the R-P for the 200 gr AB's.

I traded for some RCBS 308 NM dies a while back unseen and when they came they were quite old and actually ceased up. I was a bit worried they would be no good but I lubricated them and loosened them up so they worked properly again. Recently I thought I had better see if they would produce straight ammo and they ended up doing extremely well, even to the point of the expander ball barely touching the inside of the neck on the way out. The RCBS Casemaster showed both dies produced almost perfectly straight ammo, not bad at all for dies made in 1971 :)

I remember when really top grade 1917 Enfields could be ordered through the mail for $65, way, way back there! :) I read where many had them converted to 308 Norma. This was a very popular conversion for all but the Eddystone makes ( which mine was). They were just too brittle to take a chance on them. My BIL used a Mod 742 in .308 back in SE Texas and he always wanted a 308 Norma Mag just to be different. I've had a lot of adventures with a 300 WM, but 308 Norma would have done the same thing for me. As far as necking the 338WM to something, I would like someone to build/use/write about a 9.3x338. Closest I've seen of that is John Barsness' necking up the 350 Rem Mag to 9.3, which sounds good too. I have made the Big Circle back to the 280 Remington Magnum from my Youth ( 7mm Rem Mag) ha

Indeed, a great write-up on a fine cartridge. All I've shot were delightfully accurate.

I'm presently shooting the 300 Win. mag. and its as good as any of the rest as far as I'm concerned..My all time favorite of the 300s has always been the old 300 H&H and it can be handloaded to beat all but the 300 Wby, but get mighty close to the Wby in fact...but I sold my old pre 64 mod. 70 as it was just too damn heavy for my 80 plus years..Wish I hadn't done that but it was just one of those days!! I see little difference in any of the 300s, not including the RUM type that I just have no use for in that if I'm going to take that much recoil and blast I would sooner have a 338 or 375...The 308 Norma is the mildest of the 300s and thus the least in power, but still a fine big game rifle, this side for the WSM and the 30-06..

My complaint on most of the 300s is availability of brass these days, so I picked up an old boat paddle zytel stocked, discontinued, Ruger 77, stainless steel 300 win. mag. for those snowy or rain soaked days during the Idaho elk season, or an ocassional Alaskan hunt..and the resale is great on this model, they sell like hotcakes at a Mormon convention....

Back