308 or 280 for a young lady

Like others I’d stick with a short action and likely go 6.5 Creedmoor,260 Rem,7-08. Anyone of those can be found in a reasonably priced rifle and good ammunition can be found easily. Depending on where you’re located any should do for most game. Some places have a minimum 7mm cal for some species.

Thanks for the comments and help, I will probably be looking for a short action. Should see the new stock for her 243 in a couple weeks, and there is a couple months before we hear about any special tags. Now just waiting for the snow to melt so we can get out and do some shooting.

Just another thought.....
If you do handload, then you can always get a .280 Remington, and load to the same velocities of the 7mm-08/7x57mm and have a very soft shooter, and still have an extremely lethal round for critters. The range of game like jackrabbits all the way up to, and including elk. Albeit at shorter distances.
Then after shooting several times, you can work her up to full power loads.
Of course, you can do the same thing with the .308, as well.
Given that the rifles you are looking at are equal in weight, the felt recoil for the .280, & .308 are the same.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Tough to beat a 7mm-08 or 308 for what you are wanting to do, both are a good step up from the 243 for bigger animals. H 4895 will give you a lot of latitude in making loads from very mild to full power one day.

I’ll echo what some others have said. My daughter shoots a 7mm-08 and it’s been a proven cartridge with a good variety of bullets. I’d really like to grab some of the new 150 Accubonds, as I think that would be a good elk bullet.

preacher":1tw1r4v9 said:
Decided yet Sim?
Well I was thinking the 7-08 if i find a lefty bolt, i haven't come across anything local yet but, came up with a couple other ideas: lever action of some sort or... there is still a single shot 35 Whalen, thought if i thread the barrel add a break and a good recoil pad i wouldn't be into it much. Especially for the couple of hunts it may never go on. If that makes sense?
On a side note i got the stock in for her 243. It likes the sako gameheads, and hates the norma hunter

Attachments

• 20190402_080933.jpg
    20190402_080933.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 508
The Browning X Bolt Micro Midas comes in a left handed 7mm-08 and might be just the ticket. If that stock configuration is too short, you can move up to the Hunter model.

The Browning BLR also comes in the 7mm-08, in a straight grip and a pistol grip version.

Blkram":wuxbp5ch said:
The Browning X Bolt Micro Midas comes in a left handed 7mm-08 and might be just the ticket. If that stock configuration is too short, you can move up to the Hunter model.

The Browning BLR also comes in the 7mm-08, in a straight grip and a pistol grip version.

Been looking to check out the Brownings but haven't come across any yet

I actually built my 6.5 Creedmoor on a Browning X Bolt LH All Weather in 7mm-08.
Just rebarrelled it with a 24" Benchmark 5R 1:8 twist barrel.
Beautiful, light, and very accurate. The trigger is very nice, set at 3 lbs, and the detachable magazine works very well. Sorry, I can't post pics here, but if you pm me your e-mail, I can send you a pic.
I have had A-Bolts and A-Bolt II's over the years and have always had good luck with them. Finally have a left handed one and am a happy guy!
Would recommend the Browning any day! I think they area good value for the $. JMHO.

here is a lefty , Browning X-bolt , in 7mm-08 . it's really a nice shooting rifle . it cleans easy , and shoots well .

PB040283.JPG

PB040282.JPG

Well, actually, she can hunt just about anywhere with that .243 and a tricked out SS .35 Whelen! Dang good combo, and you aren't tying up a lot of money that can go "on hunts right now". Practically speaking, its the best option right now. Stick with the 180-200 TTSX in that Whelen and with the brake it will be a fun gun to shoot, and still a real killer on the big uns! :)

My vote is still the .280 Remington,
Loaded down to 7mm-08 or 7x57 velocities, and you can have one round/one rifle that will handle all the hunting needs you and your daughter can go after.
Also, you can load up in increments to help train your daughter, and to see where her Max level of recoil sensitivity is, if any, since the .280 doesn't recoil all that bad to begin with.

How about a wsm in either 7mm or 30 cal? Put a vais brake on it and you’d have a magnum with the recoil of a .243win

The last few years I have seen a few of the ladies & youth shoot the 7mm-08. I have been very impressed with them shooting 140gr. ABs :wink:.
I would not consider anyone shooting the 7mm-08 being under gunned when hunting Elk and or Moose (y)

Blessings,
Dan

elkhunternm":t5j4t9pk said:
I vote for the 7x57 Mauser.

Well shucks, you beat me to it. Problem is I don't know of anyone doing a left hand rifle in 7x57. So I would go with the 7-08. Easily loaded to current 7x57 levels which ain't all that bad and at full power levels should be adequate for elk and moose. Currently I'm playing with a 7x57 loaded to 7-08 level for an elk hunt later this year.

A year or so ago, I was helping a friend pick a rifle and cartridge for his 10 year old son. We ended up with a Remington M7 in 7-08 and frankly that rifle either fit me very very well or the cartridge just doesn't kick all that much. Maybe a combination of both. Recoil with top loads from my M70 FWT appeared to recoil more than that M7. :?:

The latest Handloader Magazine has an article by John Barsness called, "The Modern 7x57" where he tells how to work up loads to modern levels using a rifle with a modern action like the Remington M700 or Winchester M70, Ruger M77 or a late Mauser 98 action line an FN. He also tells how he used those loads to take a moose and most of Africa's plains game. All his loads were right at or close to 7-08 levels.

I've not yet decided which load I'll use for my elk hunt, the 150 gr. Nosler Partition or or the 160 gr. Speer Hot Core in one of my 7x57s, nor which rifle, the M70 or custom Mauser. Decisions, decisions decisions, will they ever come to an end. :roll:
Paul B.

Again, I say go with the .280 Remington, period.
You can use full house loads in it, or you can load down, and have the ballistic equivalent of a 7mm-08, or the 7x57, and have all the same trajectories and recoil of both of them.
Components are readily available and very cheap for a .280 Remington. 7mm bullets are inexpensive, .30-06 brass, and even .280 brass is inexpensive, large rifle primers are inexpensive. The only thing that is somewhat expensive is the powder.
You can find .280 Remington ammo a lot easier than 7x57 ammo.
Just my 2 cents worth.

preacher":26f3qifq said:
Decided yet Sim?

Found this...7-08 left hand with the compact stock. We'll see how it shoots. Tags get drawn next week here in MT so I will know how fast I'll have to put it together.

So the trigger hasn't been taken care of yet, do i worry about sending it in?

Attachments

• 15605650832366307070665714901685.jpg
    15605650832366307070665714901685.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 335
Back